Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

Sep 11, 2018
Everyone spouts nonsense from time to time on this forum but only seem to dislike other peoples nonsense. We all need to learn to have a bit of tolerance to people who disagree with our own opinions. Whether you like the potential RP or not is a matter of opinion and its formed by where we are coming from and what we want. It's an open forum where all members can freely express an opinion. You never learn anything or change if you don't consider other opinions.

Except if they are trolling the forum (even being paid to) and waste all our time.
Get real.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ThomsA

Constantly suppressing GAS. Taking photos.
Aug 31, 2018
Germany
You are correct for the IBIS-ibis. Here is another CR[0] from Nokishita for the 5R. IBIS-ibis is primarily for shorter focal length lenses. IS-ibis is being developed for supertelephotos.
View attachment 183045

... which is of course not to be mistaken as an BSI-IBIS, as that one would hide behind the sensor ...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Except if they are trolling the forum (even being paid to) and waste all our time.
Get real.
Maybe you are a troll too as you are new here.;)
A sort of deep undercover one with a few initial positive comments about the RP before ripping into some other aspect of Canon.:giggle:
Maybe they would but I'd doubt if Sony would be paying for trolls. Its not very effective as it drives conversations about Canon products as opposed to stopping them or else there wouldn't be so many pages of comments.
Anyway they are pretty predictable as to their content.
However there are very genuine Canon customers here who do get disappointed from time to time but not everyone seems to want to listen to their comments because they hold a different opinion.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
Too bad. It’s always been my favorite hardware element on the 5D series. Fuji lacks the same thing on their flagship models, and it’s a shame Canon is removing it, too. It was always a very reliable interface dial. Perhaps we’ll see it in the pro model R, when it’s released.
I agree and one huge reason I switched from Nikon to Canon in 1997 was because of the flat dial on the camera back making it so easy to adjust exposure compensation. It looks like the R series will not have the rear scroll dial due to the physical size restrictions, but I hope that they put some sort of dial on the back on new R cameras. I guess until then, I will stick with mt 5DIV.

Upvote 0
I agree and one huge reason I switched from Nikon to Canon in 1997 was because of the flat dial on the camera back making it so easy to adjust exposure compensation. It looks like the R series will not have the rear scroll dial due to the physical size restrictions, but I hope that they put some sort of dial on the back on new R cameras. I guess until then, I will stick with mt 5DIV.

If Sony can put a dial on the rear of the A7xxx bodies, why should Canon not be able to do so on the larger Rx bodies? It's just another feature (or lack thereof) to differentiate between the EOS R and the 5DIV, like frames per second, dual card slots, the position of the AF-on button, the lack of a joystick and so on. In my opinion the whole EOS camera body ecosystem just got more differentiated and more confusing with the positioning of the R and Rp.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

The RP does have an extra dial, it's next to the mode dial on top of the camera. I hope it can be programmed to function the same as the flat dial you mention.

Upvote 0
I’ll wait for a weather and freeze resistant model before taking the plunge into the Canon EOS-R system.

By the way, anyone know why Canon is getting rid of the scroll wheel on their FF mirrorless models? This is my favorite part of the hardware UI.
I have the R and can confirm it's weather-resistant as far as I can tell. I had it out in a heavy snow storm with the 24-105 for 2.5 hours and it worked perfectly the entire time. It was literally covered in wet snow and kept on truckin', and keeps on today.

The scroll wheel is a question I wish I could answer. If the R had that and dual card slots it would best the 5D4 in every way. It already is better in most relevant ways, which is why I chose it when replacing my 5D3. The lower cost was just icing on the cake.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2018
Maybe you are a troll too as you are new here.;)
A sort of deep undercover one with a few initial positive comments about the RP before ripping into some other aspect of Canon.:giggle:
Maybe they would but I'd doubt if Sony would be paying for trolls. Its not very effective as it drives conversations about Canon products as opposed to stopping them or else there wouldn't be so many pages of comments.
Anyway they are pretty predictable as to their content.
However there are very genuine Canon customers here who do get disappointed from time to time but not everyone seems to want to listen to their comments because they hold a different opinion.

I refer you to the last line of my comment which is even more relevant now.
You need to get real..

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...It amazing that a life long Canon user can't be critical of Canon for churning products after product for incremental increase yet commanding expensive price. The same goes for their 70-200 2.8 II and 70-200 2.8 III.

See, this is the problem. The 70-200 III is priced significantly lower than the 70-200 II was at introduction. So, you can be disappointed that the new lens is only an incremental increase, but you are absolutely incorrect in claiming that the pricing is somehow out of line. That's exactly the kind of statement that invites criticism. Plus, if you want to debate the 70-200 III, you need to ask if it was even possible for Canon to come up with any significant optical improvements at a reasonable price. Looking at what competitors offer and at the quality of the II version, the obvious answer would be "no."

The point is, if you want to be disappointed in Canon, that is your right. But, if you want to convince others that your disappointment is justified, you need to have a little logic behind it and not just complain without considering what is feasible or reasonable. And, you certainly shouldn't make statements that are simply wrong.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Why?
They are primarily for use in correcting telephoto lenses.
Aspherical is more for short lenses.
You missed a bad pun :)

Alan posted a picture of an IBIS (the bird) carrying a lens, flourite is a miss-spelling (fairly common) of fluorite.... flour is used to make pancakes :)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
You missed a bad pun :)

Alan posted a picture of an IBIS (the bird) carrying a lens, flourite is a miss-spelling (fairly common) of fluorite.... flour is used to make pancakes :)
Flourite is used for shortcake IBIS for wide angle lenses and for baguette IS for telephotos.
Well, Jack logs on for the humour!

Upvote 0
See, this is the problem. The 70-200 III is priced significantly lower than the 70-200 II was at introduction. So, you can be disappointed that the new lens is only an incremental increase, but you are absolutely incorrect in claiming that the pricing is somehow out of line. That's exactly the kind of statement that invites criticism. Plus, if you want to debate the 70-200 III, you need to ask if it was even possible for Canon to come up with any significant optical improvements at a reasonable price. Looking at what competitors offer and at the quality of the II version, the obvious answer would be "no."

The point is, if you want to be disappointed in Canon, that is your right. But, if you want to convince others that your disappointment is justified, you need to have a little logic behind it and not just complain without considering what is feasible or reasonable. And, you certainly shouldn't make statements that are simply wrong.

It is my opinion only. If you think $2100 70-200 III is worth it over the affordable 70-200 II 2.8 kudo to you. I can deduct 70-200 2.8 III as a business expense but it just not worth my time selling and buying gears, and pay extra for it.

Here is lensrental review.

they’re nearly identical lenses. Yes, you heard right, Canon has essentially slapped a new paint job on the lens and re-released the 8-year-old 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II....But optically, they’re identical. The image stabilization system? Identical.

We have an awesome 70-200 2.8 II. We are very lucky in that sense.

Yes, lets look what what the competitor are charging to justify Canon's price for the new one without any significant improvement. If you have the money, go for it.

As for me, if there are no significant in performance, I'll skip it and buy the older generation for the exact performance. If you want the latest and have the mean for it, just buy whatever you want. I don't care.

Last edited:
Upvote 0