Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Who cares about the bird? All we care about is that you couldn't raise the shadows without increasing the noise and banding! Right? Stay on topic, for goodness sakes!

A little good humour and less carping criticism make for a much more pleasant forum.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Absolutely without a doubt landing pelican images are very far from the most challenging BIF photography.... LOL... Also without a doubt, the "R" is not the optimal BIF camera even with a "proper" BIF lens and no TC. While AF is quick and excellent (as good as XYZ) with a fast lens, no TC, in decent light, and you do get AF all over the sensor, you are still hobbled by the 5fps frame rate. For very fast subjects, the 7D2 eats it alive and even more so, the 1DX2. I have both and would not give up either for an "R" a this point.

My only point was to illustrate that on the "R", AF works sensor-wide with any lens/TC combination at any aperture and it works acceptably enough to even use for some BIF. On most high-end dSLRs, you get center spot from 5.6 to 8 and nothing past 8..... This is way better. For static subjects, AF even at tiny apertures is as accurate as the R's AF ever is... IOW, very.

If having acceptable AF capability at small apertures matters to you at some level..... I would certainly consider it for that as well as it's other attributes. Personally I have 4 issues with the "R" Canon would need to solve before I spend money on this. See my previous posts for what they are. Yes, my current dSLRs are heavier and bigger, but they do what I need done better than the "R" at this point in time and I can live without AF at small apertures.

Current Canon DSLR bodies that can officially focus at f/8 when using PDAF via the viewfinder: 1D X Mark II, 5D Mark IV, - up to all 63 AF points with ver. III extenders and certain lenses; 1D X, 1D C, 5Ds, 5Ds R, 5D Mark III, 7D Mark II - center AF point with surrounding 8 points as 'assist' points; All other 1-series bodies - center AF point only; 6D Mark II, 80D - center AF point only except 27 AF points with 100-400 II and 200-400. No other Canon DSLR bodies officially support viewfinder based AF at f/8 or narrower. Many models older than about 2011 will *try* to AF with such combinations. When using Live View with DSLRs or mirrorless bodies a different AF system is used and performance using lenses with apertures narrower than f/5.6 will vary based in the camera's capability, the lighting conditions, and contrast of the target subject.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Look, I’ve got a 60D and have been patiently waiting the last few years for the right entry level FF body. The 6DII didn’t it cut it for me due to the many hashed over points. Would I rather have my 60 over the 6? Of course not but for the price, I decided to wait. Along comes Canon’s mirrorless FF which brings some attention with the possibility of a new sensor, higher FPS, along with the lighter weight and smaller package. So Canon may release a camera that isn’t noticeably improved over the 6D2 as far as output and performance. I’ve been waiting for several years, hoping for a better option, but it hasn’t come. Understand why so many of us “bots” are frustrated and saying the same thing?

Camera bodies Canon has introduced that are significantly better than the 60D in almost every single aspect:

EOS 80D
EOS 7D Mark II
EOS 6D Mark II (it takes great photos - really, it does - all of the clickbaiters on YouTube trying to make a living by making their viewers worry about DR at base ISO notwithstanding.)

There will never be an "entry level" Canon camera introduced that the YouTubers don't complain about not getting 1D X Mark II for a Rebel price. It's what they do.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I am in baby years regarding experience in photography (happily shooting with my 77D), maybe that's why I thought "RAW development in camera" is a good addition in a consumer model. But, no one is talking about it here. What am I missing? Is that a very common feature?

Pretty much everything other than the "Rebel" series has had it since the original 7D firmware update in 2012. It's old news, and not really that useful to most of us. If you need to move images so fast you don't have time to edit on at least a tablet or notebook with a larger, color calibrated screen, you might as well just shoot straight to jpeg.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
You must have miss BlackFriday sales. It was $1300.
Here is the deal website https://slickdeals.net/f/12281707-c...amera-w-24-105mm-f-4l-ii-lens-2199-00-more-fs on Nov 11, 2018.

It was $1300 from [bhphotovideo.com] bandhphoto.com

MSRP is $1500. Adorama used price is $1149

There isn't any rewriting history. You just do a very poor job at Google search.

Canon 6D II may be better than 6D but that isn't saying much.

Here is an Fstoppers Article.
Canon 6D Mark II: The Worst Camera of 2017
https://fstoppers.com/critiques/canon-6d-mark-ii-worst-camera-2017-209420

Compared to Canon own line, it's a fine camera, but it's overvalue at its debut price of $2000.

As the original owner of Canon 6D, I was hoping 6D II will be the low light king vs my Canon 5D IV. Canon didn't want to make the same mistake with 6D vs 5D III so it won't cannibalize 5D IV sales. Canon segmented the 6D II line even more by putting a slightly worst sensor, and added more AF points that's mostly center. Compare to 6D, it's a better camera, but compare to competitions, it's a poorly value one.

It couldn't beat out an 3 year old Nikon D750 in term of values that has dual card slot and better dynamic range and $200 cheaper.

At $1500, I don't know if I would recommend it over Sony A7III for $1800 that has a better sensor, dual card slot, IBIS, better eyeAF, and 4k. I can deal with the ergonomics issue with L bracket.

Canon has a history of providing poorly value camera because they know we are tied down to glasses - 5D IV, 6D II, and EOS R. They aren't bad camera. I don't think any FF camera in the last 5 year take bad pictures. It just a poorly value one.

B&H and other authorized Canon retailers had it for $1399 for most of the second half of 2018, not $1,300. A one-day (or one weekend) sale on Black Friday says nothing about the real price of anything. The current MSRP is $1,799. Authorized Canon dealers in the U.S. are currently selling it for $1,499 with a $300 factory provided "instant rebate."

Used cameras do not have an MSRP provided by Canon or anyone else.

Of course F-stoppers will use a headline like that. It gets more clicks than a headline that says "Entry level FF camera has fewer features than higher priced models"

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Camera bodies Canon has introduced that are significantly better than the 60D in almost every single aspect:

EOS 80D
EOS 7D Mark II
EOS 6D Mark II (it takes great photos - really, it does - all of the clickbaiters on YouTube trying to make a living by making their viewers worry about DR at base ISO notwithstanding.)

There will never be an "entry level" Canon camera introduced that the YouTubers don't complain about not getting 1D X Mark II for a Rebel price. It's what they do.

I would add the 760d, 77d and 800d to that list as well.

Upvote 0
[...] In addition to the added expense of producing a 100MP sensor for users who would only output 25MP files, there would also be the added disadvantages of four times the data to be read out (with the accompanying longer time needed to read it, the additional power requirement, and additional heat), and processing load to bin 100MP to 25MP (and the accompanying extra power consumption and heat generated).

Pixel binning does not simplify color conversion they way most people think it does. Color filters in Bayer masks are not discreet. (Neither are the three types of cones in the human retina.) [...]

IMO it simplifies the image reconstruction dramatically. The "color science" is nearly the same - in that point the agree.
But Bayer conversion expands the color of one subpixel to its neighbourhood while deriving the brightness of the colored subpixels from its own value and its neigbourhood. I do not know the Debayering Algorithm explicitly but just from those two conditions I see a lot of calculations and potential for mistakes.
In the case of pixel binning you can derive the R, G and B values directly from the subpixels and calculate the basic R, G and B values while dividing G1 + G2 by two (for the typically two green subpixels).

After that there comes the same translating process from the debayered subpixel RGB values or the non-bayer R, G and B ADC values of the Sensor readout chain into numbers.

If you only use 25 MPixels a good debayering might be good enough but for me it would be interesting to have ONE camera where I can switch between (1) very good color reproduction at the cost of resolution and (2) very good resolution at the cost of color reproduction. At least during postprocessing.

And lots of thanks for the "pink" is not in the visible spectrum statement - while trying to teach my studends (13 ... 18 yr.) the beauty of spectra and the simplicity of our basically simple RGB universe I never thought to bring them into the state of cognitive dissonance: There "exists" a color which is not in the rainbow spectrum.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
No way, that space is perfectly suited for custom modification. I invented a tactical shadow lifter. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you, the Shadow Sniper(TM):
View attachment 183033

In version 2, I'm going add a mechanical arm that switches the light on only when the shutter is depressed. This should eliminate all of the hand wringing over shadow lifting.
I'd prefer a different shade of black on the light. No red ring? C'mon! ;)

Upvote 0

Bilal

80D
Sep 10, 2018
We as a user should be realistic with our needs. As a human being its normal that we want the best or something that others have but as a job we should be realistic enough to understand that what are the things we need to accomplish the jobs that we do.

As a youtube creator, and few of my hobbies like astrophotography, timelapse & Hyperlapses, my realistic needs are

Articulated Screen (Check)

C-Log (Check)

Full Frame Canon Mirrorless (Check)

Variable ND filter adopter ( Made my life easier with existing lenses )

1080p 120fps is pending for verification.

They have inbuilt intervalometer in previous models so this should have it too.

These are my basic needs for accomplishing my jobs. I dont even need or use 4K because the audiance and clients of mine are mostly mobile users or dont really know when they see the videos.

Things like maximum dynamic range and higher fps and IBIS are optional to me. I need the above things and canon seems to be providing those cheaply at the moment.

Moving to sony is not an option.

Great move canon

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
We as a user should be realistic with our needs. As a human being its normal that we want the best or something that others have but as a job we should be realistic enough to understand that what are the things we need to accomplish the jobs that we do.

As a youtube creator, and few of my hobbies like astrophotography, timelapse & Hyperlapses, my realistic needs are
The RP won't have C-Log or any form of 120 fps recording.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
you sure? as per rumor it has.
60fps is still great though but there is no alternate to C-Log for me.
No real video specs yet, but the most likely scenario is that it will be the same as the 6D Mark II.
Maybe some form of basic 4k added, but I highly doubt it, the sensor may not be capable (it would be quite weird to have a camera with a better crop factor than the higher-end variant), the 1080p is definitely a step down from the EOS R or 5D IV, much softer.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
You must have miss BlackFriday sales. It was $1300.
Here is the deal website https://slickdeals.net/f/12281707-c...amera-w-24-105mm-f-4l-ii-lens-2199-00-more-fs on Nov 11, 2018.

It was $1300 from [bhphotovideo.com] bandhphoto.com

MSRP is $1500. Adorama used price is $1149

why do you criticize others, and then spout bull crap?

the MSRP of the 6D Mark II is 1799.

it's currently on sale, but so is just about every other Canon DSLR at the moment. they are having a promotion right now.

6dmarkiiprice.PNG

and black friday is just that, a massive sale period. it went on sale, as did most other Canon cameras sans R because it was so new. Like it happens, Every. Other. Year. the 6D Mark II went on sale, it was 17 months old, Canon usually puts their cameras on sale after a year or so. Big Whoop.

heck the Sony A9 was $1000 off during black friday.

Upvote 0
why do you criticize others, and then spout bull crap?

the MSRP of the 6D Mark II is 1799.

it's currently on sale, but so is just about every other Canon DSLR at the moment. they are having a promotion right now.

View attachment 183057

and black friday is just that, a massive sale period. it went on sale, as did most other Canon cameras sans R because it was so new. Like it happens, Every. Other. Year. the 6D Mark II went on sale, it was 17 months old, Canon usually puts their cameras on sale after a year or so. Big Whoop.

heck the Sony A9 was $1000 off during black friday.

You do realize that's the MSRP now right?

The LAUNCH price is $2000.

Source
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-preview/

https://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/canon/6d-mark-ii/deals-and-prices

I can't believe you even want to argue with something so basic and verifiable

Easy it's jut a camera. No need get emotional about it. No need to justify it to me. I'm not bothering respond it to this post any more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
You do realize that's the MSRP now right?

The LAUNCH price is $2000.

Source
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-preview/

https://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/canon/6d-mark-ii/deals-and-prices

I can't believe you even want to argue with something so basic and verifiable

Easy it's jut a camera. No need get emotional about it. No need to justify it to me. I'm not bothering respond it to this post any more.

I took the MSRP right off Canon USA's website.

it's on sale. being on sale does not change the MSRP. it may change the MAP.

it's MSRP is 1799, down from 2000, and it's released around 19 months ago. going on 2 years old. Big #(*&#$ whoop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When using Live View with DSLRs or mirrorless bodies a different AF system is used and performance using lenses with apertures narrower than f/5.6 will vary based in the camera's capability, the lighting conditions, and contrast of the target subject.
As I'm sure you are aware, when using live view with Canon's current DSLR's the focusing system is the same (DPAF) as that used by the EF R's and should yield similar results. My 1DX2 and 5D4 both focus just fine in reasonable light and subject contrast for both stills and video using lens rigs with a max apperture of f11 or smaller. In fact, it works pretty well in totally unreasonable conditions as well. I'd expect the other DPAF DSLR's to do the same but I don't own those. The advantage of using the EF R's is the EVF ( if you consider that an advantage). Slap a magnifying hood on the rear display and you are good to go. It seems to be a widely held misconception that DPAF focusing on Canon's DSLR's is bound by the max aperture limitations of the PDAF sensor.

edit: I use an f4 lens with stacked 2x and 1.4x tele's which results in f11. Obviously not ideal for every scenario but a nice trick to have in your bag when it's called for.

Warning! Do not try and mate a 1.4x and a 2x tele directly together. If you go that route you have to put an extension tube between them (EF-12) or you are going to scratch some glass!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It'll be that non-feature video IS Canon uses on marketing to trick users into thinking it's IBIS.
If you actually look at real video comparisons on line, of which there are many, you’ll see that the digital IS is quite effective. The only downside is that it crops in closer and perhaps creates some softness. Perhaps. However, as far as stabilizing the image, it works well.

It is certainly not a marketing ploy as you suggest. Luckily, even a simple Google search can help people realize you’re spreading nothing but lies. You, a claimed Canon user that does nothing but bash instead of just switching brands to dry your fake tears.

Upvote 0
If you actually look at real video comparisons on line, of which there are many, you’ll see that the digital IS is quite effective. The only downside is that it crops in closer and perhaps creates some softness. Perhaps. However, as far as stabilizing the image, it works well.

It is certainly not a marketing ploy as you suggest. Luckily, even a simple Google search can help people realize you’re spreading nothing but lies. You, a claimed Canon user that does nothing but bash instead of just switching brands to dry your fake tears.
This thread is just getting silly. Google "Canon Dual sensing IS" and you will see it has nothing to do with digital IS. Canon uses gyro data from the lens and motion tracking data from the sensor (dual) to improve control of the physical IS unit in the lens (ie. dual sensing). Google is your friend.

Upvote 0
This thread is just getting silly. Google "Canon Dual sensing IS" and you will see it has nothing to do with digital IS. Canon uses gyro data from the lens and motion tracking data from the sensor (dual) to improve control of the physical IS unit in the lens (ie. dual sensing). Google is your friend.
When the leak was fresh, I desperately googled it hoping for some indication of IBIS. What a realization!

Upvote 0