Canon releases firmware v1.1.0 for the EOS R and it’s disappointing

Jul 21, 2010
So it’s possible to update lenses without having them shipped to Canin? That’s awesome!
On the original EOS M the lens firmware updates were done through the camera, nice to see that feature hasn't disappeared.
EF lenses, too, before that. Just before the EOS M launched, there was a firmware update for the EF 40/2.8 that could be downloaded and applied with more recent bodies. But it wasn’t universal – after that update, there were firmware updates for the then-new MkII supertele lenses, and they had to be sent to Canon (fortunately for me, my 600/4 II that I bought after the update was announced came with the new firmware installed).

awesome for canon maybe..
I’m glad you wouldn’t mind being without a lens for a couple of weeks while it’s shipped to Canon and back. For those of us who actually use our lenses, that would be rather annoying, and being able to apply the update immediately is very convenient.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Don't you just love it when CR guy trolls his own forum.

Try and pretend that your headline is not meant to anger and inflame. The firmware update is EXACTLY what is expected - a bug fix. But no, let's be the same kind of Canon basher that has essentially ruined this forum in the past few years.

Why not just rename your site 'Canon bashing" becuase that is what it has become - and you have encouraged it every step of the way.

Ah, stating Canon is dissapointing lately, is not that far from the truth imo. Canonites are like Zombies in the dawn waiting for the new Canon innovations since the sliced bread, 300D, 5DII and then some.

Btw - you called a troll one guy today, missinterpreting his message completly, overseeing the guy is not talking A7RIII, but A7RII. But look - we are still glad to have you here even with your elitist remarks :)

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I think we overestimated this firmware update and built it up to be far more than Canon ever officially said it would be.

They said they'd give us continuous shooting in silent mode. Now they did. (I wonder what the FPS is??)

Beyond that, any theories about what might be in an update were pretty much all just guesses that we had made up. So I don't think we can be too unhappy when they didn't materialize. I mean, this is Canon. Have they ever even added this much functionality to a camera with just a firmware update, let alone more?

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I mean, this is Canon. Have they ever even added this much functionality to a camera with just a firmware update, let alone more?

Yes, they have. There have been major feature updates done to the EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 7D.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
too bad about the lack of eye af in servo. I bet other AF functionality could be improved by firmware too... maybe another one will follow? In the meanwhile competition is moving on, like Sony with improved eye AF and even animal eye af on the A9.

Is it not there? I thought they said it will be there

Kinda disappointing considering Panasonic, Nikon, Sony, and now Fuji already has continuous eyeAF and continue to have update FW with better eyeAF and tracking

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Yes, they have. There have been major feature updates done to the EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 7D.

Well, then I guess we've just got to keep the nostalgia for the old days going then. Because unless you like horrible banding in your photos, this firmware update doesn't do much for you, beyond bug fixes, which are admittedly very much appreciated.

(And not that any other camera maker does much better with banding in silent shutter mode. Silent shutter is pretty much worthless in the current crop of mirrorless cameras as far as I'm concerned.)

Upvote 0
[QUOTE="
(And not that any other camera maker does much better with banding in silent shutter mode. Silent shutter is pretty much worthless in the current crop of mirrorless cameras as far as I'm concerned.)[/QUOTE]

Is it?
I am using it on my R for classical concerts at least once a week. Does work flawless if you choose shutter times carefully.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
Is it not there? I thought they said it will be there

Kinda disappointing considering Panasonic, Nikon, Sony, and now Fuji already has continuous eyeAF and continue to have update FW with better eyeAF and tracking

It was a rumor, but it's not in this firmware. Maybe one in the (nearby?) future? But indeed, all full frame (and even aps-c) competition has this feature which has proved to be very useful. It would be a good reason for me to look out for a discounted R as an 'in between body' on our way to a pro version.

What is interesting, is that Sony is moving away from eye AF tracking as dedicated mode. Instead, it's now part of their general 'real time' tracking (where you just place an af point over a subject and it will follow, using ai to learn what's needed:
)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Ah, stating Canon is dissapointing lately, is not that far from the truth imo. Canonites are like Zombies in the dawn waiting for the new Canon innovations since the sliced bread, 300D, 5DII and then some.

Btw - you called a troll one guy today, missinterpreting his message completly, overseeing the guy is not talking A7RIII, but A7RII. But look - we are still glad to have you here even with your elitist remarks :)

I agree there is too much now of just calling people who disagree with your opinion a troll. I don't see why it bothers a Canon user who is very happy with Canon that others might have some complaints. I have found the Canon Rumors to be very fair on any commentary they make. They are prepared to give their opinion from time to time on topics. I've no problem people arguing their point either way, I can learn and change my opinions. A Forum is "a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged" Yes there are some trolls on the site but only a small proportion of those who express disappointment from time to time. For me some of Canons output is fantastic, some if very good, some is good and some is not so good. They can't be perfect all the time.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Is it?
I am using it on my R for classical concerts at least once a week. Does work flawless if you choose shutter times carefully.
Yes, yes it is. In a very dimly lit scenario, which I do a lot of, I don't have the luxury of "choosing shutter speeds" I have to go as slow as possible while still freezing motion.

It does depend a lot on the nature of the artificial lighting you're dealing with. However, I've had so many instances where artificial light has caused banding, and so few where it hasn't, that I essentially don't trust silent shutter at all under artificial light at this point.

Perhaps you're lucky in that wherever you're shooting has lighting that doesn't cause banding.

Upvote 0

5D35D46D2R

There's Canon. And there are other Cameras.
Feb 12, 2019
Canon are very good with their products, and undoubtedly have a robust suite of resilient products.

But. There is always a BUT.
Folks have been patiently waiting for the firmware update, announced straight after EOS R launch.
The timing of the announcement in itself wasn't great, because it conveyed the impression that The R in itself was rushed to market, and wasn't quite launch-ready.

In a previous CR article, the detail below was shared.
https://www.canonrumors.com/functio...os-r-soon-after-release-with-firmware-update/

What’s coming in the firmware?
  • Eye detect AF in continuous shooting. The EOS R launches with the ability to do this in one shot.
  • Additional touch bar functionality added.
  • Continuous shooting in silent shutter mode. The EOS R only allows this feature in single shot at launch.
  • A “few tweaks” to video functionality. The 4K crop will not be changed, nor will the maximum frame rate in 4K.
  • Bug fixes
I had been checking the official Canon web page, waiting for the update.
On 5th February, i realised that there was an updated User Guide (Advanced_User_Guide_EN) and Supplemental Information (Supplemental_Information_Manual_EN).

Closer examination revealed to me = Release date 25 January 2019

I scanned the content of the User Guide, and Eye detect AF in continuous shooting was not listed as a new functionality. I was disappointed of course.

Currently, Eye Detection AF is only available when [AF1: AF operation] is set to [One-Shot AF] and [AF1: AF method] is set to [Face+Tracking].

Not only was I expecting Eye Detection AF in continuous shooting, but i was also looking forward to a bug fix to increase the shooting distance for Eye AF in Face Tracking mode. Currently, it works only well under very good lighting AND at headshot distance only.

Now to another point. The file naming convention for this update.
EOS R Firmware Version 1.1.0

Software companies will generally increment the last digit of the filename for minor bug fixes (e.g. Version 1.0.1).
For a major release, they will increment the second digit (e.g. Version 1.1.0)
Canon have used the latter.
This means, we aren't likely to get a major firmware update IF or WHEN the RP is release on Thursday 14th February (as rumoured. what a coincidence, there may be some broken hearts on Valentines' Day).

Another interesting point is that it is rumoured that the rumoured-to-be-released Canon EOS RP will have Eye detection AF in BOTH One-Shot AF and continuous shooting. Now, that will be very very (and i mean VERY) interesting if that were to happen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0