Here are the full Canon EOS RP specifications

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Are you positive? Because that doesn’t sound possible. Video is shot in 30P. All standards are based off that. The camera would be incompatible with almost any other video production.

The only reason people shoot at 24P is for a “cinema look,” but in reality that’s not what’s used because of its limitation in movement and all sort of other ways.

I’d have to hear it from Canon to believe it.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. When you shoot professional cinema/film, you shoot at 24fps. That's been a Hollywood standard forever. TV shows for NTSC are often shot at 30fps. (Or they used to be) But a 3:2 pulldown even on original DVDs that had 24fps movies worked fine. Now with TVs having refresh rates commonly at 120hz, they can natively accommodate both 24 and 30 frames per second without the pulldown as both 24 and 30 are equally divisible into 120.

I haven't done a lot of video work, but I've never shot in 30. I've either shot at 24 (or 23.98) or in 60 or 120 for slo-mo while still using 2:1 (shutter speed : FPS) ratio to get proper cinematic motion blur.

But with the same CPU, same media slot, same data rate you cited between the two cameras, then the most likely explanation as to why the camera is limited to 24fps in 4K is that Canon wrote the firmware that way to afford more distinction between the R (4k30) and the RP (4k24)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Are you positive? Because that doesn’t sound possible. Video is shot in 30P. All standards are based off that. The camera would be incompatible with almost any other video production.

The only reason people shoot at 24P is for a “cinema look,” but in reality that’s not what’s used because of its limitation in movement and all sort of other ways.

I’d have to hear it from Canon to believe it.
The M50 is limited to both 25 and 24 FPS. I suspect it's the issue with the battery as that is the only thing that the EOS RP shares in comon with the M50 vs the EOS R. All three cameras have a digic 8 processor. The M50 has a 24 MP sensor while the EOS R has a 30 MP sensor, while the RP has something inbetween.

Upvote 0
I wish we could just have a board where all these same arguments/question are answered and people could just link there in stead of bringing it up and answering every single time.

The R is rated for 350 shots, I easily get 700 in the cold weather over two weeks or so. I would get 1500 if shot in one day in the summer .
LP-E17 id 1040 mAh battery. Same as Sony Alpha's two generations cameras. Why would you do the same mistake??

Upvote 0
When I bought my first Canon rebel (6mp) it cost a little over $1000, seems like this is a great entry point to full frame cameras....not just mirrorless. Can't wait to get my hands on one to see how it performs, it could become our backup/vlogging camera if it can at least track well at 5fps.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
The M50 is limited to both 25 and 24 FPS. I suspect it's the issue with the battery as that is the only thing that the EOS RP shares in comon with the M50 vs the EOS R. All three cameras have a digic 8 processor. The M50 has a 24 MP sensor while the EOS R has a 30 MP sensor, while the RP has something inbetween.

Didn't even consider the battery aspect. You may be right. Otherwise, it's a marketing choice.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I'm not sure I understand you correctly. When you shoot professional cinema/film, you shoot at 24fps. That's been a Hollywood standard forever. TV shows for NTSC are often shot at 30fps. (Or they used to be) But a 3:2 pulldown even on original DVDs that had 24fps movies worked fine. Now with TVs having refresh rates commonly at 120hz, they can natively accommodate both 24 and 30 frames per second without the pulldown as both 24 and 30 are equally divisible into 120.

Seconded. Source: I work in film production.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Seconded. Source: I work in film production.

Yeah... I'm waiting for further explanation on the OP's remarks. 24fps is THE standard now for most everything, especially with a LOT of TV shows shooting with Reds and ARRIs like major motion pictures do. Sure there are exceptions like LIVE TV (broadcast cameras) or "Reality Shows" that use handhelds and camcorder type cameras... I'm not sure what "all standards" is being referred to here.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Yeah... I'm waiting for further explanation on the OP's remarks. 24fps is THE standard now for most everything, especially with a LOT of TV shows shooting with Reds and ARRIs like major motion pictures do. Sure there are exceptions like LIVE TV (broadcast cameras) or "Reality Shows" that use handhelds and camcorder type cameras... I'm not sure what "all standards" is being referred to here.

Indeed, and in my experience, it's an Arri Alexa on roughly 90% of the professional sets in LA. Come to think of it, the Alexa is to cinema cameras what the 1DX mk ii is to stills cameras (accepted standard, easy to use, best ergonomics, simple menu, good image, no fuss). No, it doesn't have a RED's resolution, but it's an irrelevant issue for most content, and little incentive to a cinematographer to move away from a system that just works.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
The yootoob reviews on this will be hilarious. They are going to want to bag it. And of course they will whinge about no ibis and rehashed 6d2 sensor(poor DR etc). But i reckon they will begrudgingly have to state what a bargin it will be. This thing will sell like hotcakes. Sony will be crapping themselves. Magnesium alloy and weather sealing. That is phenomenal.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Well priced. Good move by Canon.
Attractive size and weight and good idea to provide the adapter as they don't have cheap lens yet for it.
It will be interesting what the viewfinder is really like.
Battery life isn't great. I wonder how accurate the battery indicator will be.
It's one of the frustrations I have with Olympus Mirrorless - you could have full bars and then suddenly a flat battery.
For sure you'd need plenty of spare batteries with this camera.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Well Nokishita is saying the 6 lenses that were rumored are confirmed. I am really hope the 15-35 is available as a pre-order with the RP and isn’t completely crazy priced, sounds like my type of combination.
Considering the release price of the 16-35 L III and this is better, wider and IS, I’m not sure I want to hear the price:LOL:

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

the battery on the M50 is the LP-E12, not the LP-E17.

Upvote 0