what equipment is best suited to my needs

Hello! I'm new here ... I hope to get advice to decide what equipment is best suited to my needs.
Briefly, I acquired a Canon 500D + 18-200mm and an 50mm lenses when my eldest son was born. In addition to photographing family events (family reunions, vacation, theater and sporting events), I usually travel on business and, whenever I have time, I dedicate myself to photographing the day-to-day life of people on the streets (day and night).
At this point I would like to jump up and get new equipment. I was thinking of 2 or 3 lenses and later an FF body.
Regarding lenses, the question I have is whether it makes sense to invest in the L EF range with the new RF system being launched?
I look and I thank advice to help me make the best decisions.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm really determined to make the jump to FF. As the majority of us, I do not have the financial capacity to acquire all the equipment in the short term and so I plan to make the acquisition in the medium++ term. What I intend is to have some orientation regarding to a maximum of 3 lenses and whether or not I should wait to see the evolution of this new RF range.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm really determined to make the jump to FF. As the majority of us, I do not have the financial capacity to acquire all the equipment in the short term and so I plan to make the acquisition in the medium++ term. What I intend is to have some orientation regarding to a maximum of 3 lenses and whether or not I should wait to see the evolution of this new RF range.
Look - it's a difficult question. Rumour has it that on Thursday a more consumer-oriented EOS R camera will be announced, with the current 6Dii's sensor, and pretty much aimed at people like you, who are looking at jumping up in image quality, and a variety of function that rebel-style DSLRs can't gie you. It's actually an exciting time in that sense. I really think you should be 'preparing' to jump up to full frame, and if you are happy with the Canon ecosystem, then mirrorless is the way to go for you. A few pointers:

• The EOS R (and likely the EOS RP assuming the rumours are true) all work really well with EF (ie full frame) lens mounts. So, if you want to accumulate good quality EF lenses now, they will work fine on your current camera, and they will translate really well onto an EOS R series body you buy in the future.
  • Having said that, there is an expectation that there will be at least some consumer-level RF lenses announced at the same time as the EOS RP later this week - so you'd be well advised to take those into account. For eg, if there is a non-L 24-105mm f4 released, then that would be a great lens to have in native RF mount when you eventually buy one, so it would make less sense to buy an EF version of it now.
  • So, it depends what sort of lenses are going to suit the type of photography you do. If you are doing casual street photography, you might want a smaller (ie non-zoom) lens - maybe like a 35mm or a 50mm? There are relatively cheap version available in EF mount, including non-Canon brands. Similarly, if you want a longer tele (70-200 or even 70-300), there are plenty of versions of these available.
Good luck - you are making these decisions at exactly the right time!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I would look at the upcoming FF mirrorless RP or the EOS R. The unique thing about them is that you can get the body and use it with your existing lens, or get EF lenses using a cheap adapter, and when RF lenses are out that are affordable, you can buy those as well. Its really easy to upgrade from a crop DSLR. A 6D MK II is great, but needs EF lenses, so you have to buy body and lenses at the same time. The RP is going to be a small easy to carry camera, so for travel it may be your best FF choice. If you shoot sporting events and want high FPS, then the mirrorless is not a good choice. I use 1 shot for sports and can time things good enough for family photos, but for pro level results, I'd want a 1D series. I've used my 1D for fast moving events and had to wade thru a ton of 10 fps shots. That was no fun and the results did not justify the work for personal use.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
If I understand correctly, one can mount an EF-S lens on an R camera, but that is still a stopgap move, especially for wide angle. One still needs an EF or R lens to get a full frame picture.

Owning a 6D2 didn’t mean I could no longer use my EF-S 10-22mm lens. It still works great on my T3i. I still bought a 16-35 f/4. So the situation is not that different from someone buying an R camera because they could still use their EF-S wideangle.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
If I understand correctly, one can mount an EF-S lens on an R camera, but that is still a stopgap move, especially for wide angle. One still needs an EF or R lens to get a full frame picture.

Owning a 6D2 didn’t mean I could no longer use my EF-S 10-22mm lens. It still works great on my T3i. I still bought a 16-35 f/4. So the situation is not that different from someone buying an R camera because they could still use their EF-S wideangle.
This is true, although the EF-S crop on an EOS R camera is equivalent to the 4K video crop on that camera, so there is a view that such lenses may have a new FF life. In any case, it's good to have the option of mounting them.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Quite frankly, I would wait a few weeks.

Canon is about to intro a budget R FF camera and about to release a 24-240 lens for it. I would wait for both to come out and a few reviews to come in. This would get you a FF camera and a walk-about lens with a wide range, plus you should be able to use your existing lenses on it with an adapter.

If you decide to go EF and are price conscious, it is very hard to beat a 6D2 with a 24-70F4 lens. It is excellent quality and also has some macro ability. When your finances recover, look at the 70-200F4 or if you want to go long the Tamron or Sigma 150-600 lens (make sure you get the version that fits the dock)

Upvote 0
Since you are not yet invested in a full frame camera or any pro lenses, I think it makes the most sense to wait and go with the new R system. Canon is very clearly pushing this system and it will soon be the standard choice. No point in buying into a system that is on the way out. Of course those of us (myself included) who already have a pro EF system will ride it out for as long as possible, but if you are just jumping in then there is no doubt that R is the way to go.

Upvote 0
I would buy the 24-105L now and then wait to see that becomes of the R series. Canon usually takes two or three generations to "get it right" (witness the M series). The 24-105 would be a 36-155 (approx) on your camera, but would produce better images than the 18-200 (not one of canon's finest efforts). While the 24-70 f2.8 is a good choice, it may not have the reach you want/need.

Upvote 0
Hello! I'm new here ... I hope to get advice to decide what equipment is best suited to my needs.
Briefly, I acquired a Canon 500D + 18-200mm and an 50mm lenses when my eldest son was born. In addition to photographing family events (family reunions, vacation, theater and sporting events), I usually travel on business and, whenever I have time, I dedicate myself to photographing the day-to-day life of people on the streets (day and night).
At this point I would like to jump up and get new equipment. I was thinking of 2 or 3 lenses and later an FF body.
Regarding lenses, the question I have is whether it makes sense to invest in the L EF range with the new RF system being launched?
I look and I thank advice to help me make the best decisions.
I would recommend the 7D MK2 and the 70-200 IS MarkII

Upvote 0
Yup! It seems that many people are in agreement on letting this new Rtech launched by the canon mature. After today's canon announcements, I think it's clear that the canon, from now on, will bet on the Rtech. For me, EF L lenses are expensive and, from what I was seeing, RF L it's impossible to reach. Does the difference in image quality really justify the money? Or could be a good option to opt for the EF L lenses and bet on an R or RP body later? I am not rich and I also do not make a living with photography, so I am wondering if it will be worth the price difference to pay for RF Lenses. I was thinking about starting with a 24-70 F2.8 L .. What do you think ???

Upvote 0
Yup! It seems that many people are in agreement on letting this new Rtech launched by the canon mature. After today's canon announcements, I think it's clear that the canon, from now on, will bet on the Rtech. For me, EF L lenses are expensive and, from what I was seeing, RF L it's impossible to reach. Does the difference in image quality really justify the money? Or could be a good option to opt for the EF L lenses and bet on an R or RP body later? I am not rich and I also do not make a living with photography, so I am wondering if it will be worth the price difference to pay for RF Lenses. I was thinking about starting with a 24-70 F2.8 L .. What do you think ???

Depends on whether or not there is a good used market in your region. Most EF lenses have been out for a while and the prices have settled. RF is still new and the prices will fall with time. If you want better servo AF than the R or RP, then you'd be better served getting a used 5DIV. If your budget only allows for the 6DII or the R, then the R is better. Just know that for one-shot AF, the R/RF is better because there are a lot more focus points and they are all better than the peripheral AF points of the DSLRs.

If you can can swing it, the 16-35 f/4 IS, your already owned 50 prime and a 70-200 f/2.8 IS II will serve you ably. Will it be the newest and best? Not in a couple years, but then you won't lose much either if you buy used and resell it later, and all three lenses will work on your EOS or EOS-R body of choice.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
In your situation, I'd get the RP with the EF adapter. "L" lenses differ in that they have a better build, and have better quality at wide apertures.

There are several decent consumer grade non L lenses that can get you going, you can often find used 24-105L lenses at attractive prices as well. I'm holding off on RF lenses for now, I have some excellent EF L lenses and don't see a reason to switch to RF. I would not switch in any event as long as I also have a 5D MK IV, but I may decide to put it up for sale.

Right now, a cheap ~$100 50mm f/2.5 macro lives on my R, it might also make a cheap but decent lens for a RP as a starter.

Upvote 0