Canon officially announces the EOS RP

One other thought: Canon created the EOS RP to meet a particular market demand for product and feature set. They did so knowing what the long-term revenue per unit needs to be. An initial launch price has been set -- and an aggressively low one, at that. Subsequent price adjustments, relative to internal and external competition, and commensurate with product life cycle will be managed as Canon sees fit to ultimately produce a profit for the company. Canon has proven pretty savvy at that.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
While it's certainly disappointing to content creators and enthusiast videographers, let's keep perspective that this is an entry-level camera aimed squarely at amateur photographers that might otherwise be looking at a Rebel or other crop-sensor camera. For the market this body is aimed at, the vast majority are likely using video mode to shoot their child's birthday party, piano recital or soccer game. I doubt the phrase "cinematic frame rate" has ever crossed their minds...

Then why does it shoot raw stills? Does "shadow recovery" cross the mind of amateurs? I'm sure you'd be up in arms if the RP lacked raw stills, so please apply your logic consistently. Not having 24fps really shuts the door to exploring the realm of video appropriately, just as not having raw would, regardless of skill level.

Upvote 0
Then why does it shoot raw stills? Does "shadow recovery" cross the mind of amateurs? I'm sure you'd be up in arms if the RP lacked raw stills, so please apply your logic consistently. Not having 24fps really shuts the door to exploring the realm of video appropriately, just as not having raw would, regardless of skill level.

I think I understand what you're saying -- RAW is more "pro" or "enthusiast" for stills than JPEG, and it's present as a feature (even though many/most of the EOS RP users will always use JPEG). So whey not include 24FPS video as a "pro" or "enthusiast" feature for someone to explore? That makes logical sense, indeed. It just misses one important piece of the perspective:

Agree or not, Canon sees this as primarily a stills camera. Video is just an afterthought -- not a core feature. The philosophy is to provide exceptional value for stills and just enough video to say that it can shoot video, along with the top line buzzwords that look good on the box to the average amateur.

I doubt amateurs who buy this camera will think about shadow recovery or squeezing everything they can out of a RAW file, but as a stills-oriented camera, it makes sense for Canon to offer a feature to make the most of stills capture (even my old G12 captures RAW format). Canon isn't worried about people who decline to purchase the EOS RP because it lacks in video features. The intent, I believe, is to have a different product to meet that market and its needs.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I doubt amateurs who buy this camera will think about shadow recovery or squeezing everything they can out of a RAW file, but as a stills-oriented camera, it makes sense for Canon to offer a feature to make the most of stills capture (even my old G12 captures RAW format). Canon isn't worried about people who decline to purchase the EOS RP because it lacks in video features. The intent, I believe, is to have a different product to meet that market and its needs.

This is off the topic you are discussing, but am I seriously a minority market segment for the RP in that this is exactly what I plan on doing (squeezing the most out of RAW files when needed, going through full workflows in Lightroom/Photoshop etc)? I’m not a pro, but I’ve shooting on DSLRs for nearly 15 years, and I don’t see anything in the RP, as a stills camera, that makes me think it’s somehow going to limit my photography. Maybe I’m way off base I need to be looking at the R, the price jump just seems far too significant.

Upvote 0
This is off the topic you are discussing, but am I seriously a minority market segment for the RP in that this is exactly what I plan on doing (squeezing the most out of RAW files when needed, going through full workflows in Lightroom/Photoshop etc)? I’m not a pro, but I’ve shooting on DSLRs for nearly 15 years, and I don’t see anything in the RP, as a stills camera, that makes me think it’s somehow going to limit my photography. Maybe I’m way off base I need to be looking at the R, the price jump just seems far too significant.

Noted! And a valid comment, to be sure.

I think it's totally cool that you're not a pro but still want to squeeze everything you can from a RAW file. I'm in that same camp, actually. The fact that you recognize that we're in the minority (meaning not perfectly fitting the profile of the target market) makes a difference in the conversation.

By the way, I didn't mean to paint with too broad of a brush about amateurs. Should have said "most/many amateurs" when talking about not caring about multi-stop shadow recovery and pushing a sensor to its limits...

Upvote 0
Personally I do not really understand the fuss about 24p. I have always regarded the slow fps of movies as a limitation, not a cool feature to have. For modern high resolution large displays 24p is far too little. For panning you either get very slow pans, horribly unsharp image or horrible stuttering, or a bit of all of them; for action sports you get fuzzy pictures or jerky motion. (It may be suitable for some form of art movies, though, where there is not so much action.)

If I was to decide, HFR movies would be the near future and 96fps the way forward. But living in a PAL country, 50p would be a good start. As a cheap and cheerful compromise for the time being, I might think of buying one of these RPs, though- At least there is a clean HDMI out.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Why make these mirrorless cameras smaller? Why can't they stay the same size as the DSLR? That would leave room for another card slot!!! I'm far from sold on these cameras!!!!
In fact, Sony seems to be on the path to make ML cameras in the future even fatter than DSLRs :devilish: And Leica's SL isn't small. I think Canon is quite wise to offer both a bigger form factor with the "R" and a smaller one with the "RP".

Once, tiny cameras were really sexy , and all of them could only load one film cartridge ;):

Minox_Riga_with_Minostigmat_3,5_F=15_lens.jpg

Upvote 0