Interview: Canon execs talk EOS RP with Imaging Resource

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon EOS RP was officially announced yesterday (or today for some folks) and has received a pretty positive reception. Canonites are a passionate bunch and I’ve been very impressed with the reception that EOS RP has received.
Imaging Resource had a chance to sit down with Canon execs to talk all things Canon EOS RP.
Some questions we think a lot of you want answers to?
The 26.2mp sensor is the exact same sensors that appeared in the EOS 6D Mark II. Some adjustments to the microlenses were needed for light angles and things like that, but everything else is identical. The DIGIC 8 processor in the EOS RP is the exact same as any other DIGIC 8 processor as well.

Canon also paid particular attention to the build quality of this little camera. The magnesium alloy and plastic construction was a big part of the development. They wanted it to feel great in your hands.
The...

Continue reading...

Nov 12, 2016
It's interesting how they mention the time and development that goes into releasing a camera that's truly on a professional level. Sounds like they're not quite there yet, and they know and admit that. It's comforting to know based on this that they never truly intended the EOS R to be taken as a professional level camera, because I don't feel that it is. It's good, but there's way too much left to be desired to consider it a professional camera, IMO.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jeremypark

Sydney Photographer Jeremy Park
Apr 21, 2013
Sydney
www.jeremypark.com.au
Would be nice to see a professional level camera incorporating some of these features. Unfortunately this new system is not up to pro use. Trialing the R system recently the body felt cheap and the EV very contrasty and harsh to look through. I couldn't use it for commissioned shoots. I am really wanting more focus ones that this system offers in a pro level body.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
I have long been convinced that Canon hasn’t been able to make the pro body that so many ask for, and I for one am glad they take their time to do it right.

My biggest problem with the R is the EVF. In many situations the EVF is very nice, such as in low light and “normal” light, but I don’t like it in strong and contrasting light - and I don’t think any EVF made to date would satisfy me in such conditions. I used the R in snow and sunlight last weekend, and the viewfinder was too dark and unable to show the scene in a compelling way. I hated using it, and I will stick to my DSLRs for use in daylight for the foreseeable future. Personally I have hard to see when an EVF will become so good that it would be preferred over an OVF for shooting an event such as alpine skiing, and ultimately if a camera is bad to use in such conditions I believe many pros would steer away from it.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2016
I have long been convinced that Canon hasn’t been able to make the pro body that so many ask for, and I for one am glad they take their time to do it right.

My biggest problem with the R is the EVF. In many situations the EVF is very nice, such as in low light and “normal” light, but I don’t like it in strong and contrasting light - and I don’t think any EVF made to date would satisfy me in such conditions. I used the R in snow and sunlight last weekend, and the viewfinder was too dark and unable to show the scene in a compelling way. I hated using it, and I will stick to my DSLRs for use in daylight for the foreseeable future. Personally I have hard to see when an EVF will become so good that it would be preferred over an OVF for shooting an event such as alpine skiing, and ultimately if a camera is bad to use in such conditions I believe many pros would steer away from it.

I have the same problem with the Fujis... But actually I believe that the problem is the eyecup and not the viewfinder itself. But maybe an EVF with more power would help in the future.. The worst thing about EVF is, when you get used to it - you really miss it when going back to dslr's. At least I do.

Upvote 0
They may not be ready with a Pro version of the R, but does that mean you stop the release of "pro" version upgrades of your other cameras (i.e. the 5Ds and 5DsR) in this quest for the Holy Grail R?

The thing is, we aren't really in store for a 5D4 refresh or a 1DX2 refresh. It's not been enough time. So it's hard to interpret Canon sitting around not giving us a new pro DSLR, as that's sort of expected anyhow.

I think that the thing to watch is the high-resolution camera. You *could* come out with a 5DSr refresh in RF or in EF. That'll be the telling move. They could come out in RF because it doesn't need to be high frame rate, and that's really where they're most unprepared for the general pro versions. If it were 2 fps at 60mp, added all the new tech whizbangs that have accrued since and improve sensor performance with on-chip ADC, it would be an OK refresh for Canon. Then again, they could do that as a DSLR no sweat. This is the test as to their intent. If they go RF with it, I don't see them worrying much about the other DSLRs in the future. If they use EF, I suspect we'll see a 5 and 1 series refresh in a couple years as mirror slappers.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Panasonic S1 has industry highest EVF 5.8 million dot EVF.

I am fine with Canon EOS R EVF 3.69 but it is missing too many pro features

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
So 4K@24fps was chosen due to heat concerns and would possibly require a larger body which went against the design philosophy. Can anyone confirm that higher FPS would generate that much more heat?

Well, only Canon engineers could confirm that. But 30fps means 25% higher throughput than 24fps, which is a very nontrivial increase. If other design decisions constrain your thermal budget, well, there you have it. Canon certainly does not want random shutdowns caused by overheating à la Sony.

Upvote 0
The problem for Canon is that other companies have figured out the pro mirrorless world well enough to cause new photographers, considering their first system investment, to forgo Canon as an option. And what makes this launch of the R series particularly confusing, is that while Canon now says that it has not quite figured out the pro body, it is selling, and announced the sale, of a lot of pro lenses. Who is buying the R or RP and putting $2000 glass on these cameras?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
The problem for Canon is that other companies have figured out the pro mirrorless world well enough to cause new photographers, considering their first system investment, to forgo Canon as an option. And what makes this launch of the R series particularly confusing, is that while Canon now says that it has not quite figured out the pro body, it is selling, and announced the sale, of a lot of pro lenses. Who is buying the R or RP and putting $2000 glass on these cameras?

Lenses make the system, not the camera. Canon wants a good library of glass ready for professionals to jump in when they have a good pro body. If I needed to buy a new body today, I would probably buy an R. I loaned one from CPS and while it’s not perfect, it’s a pretty good camera. I’ll probably pick up an RP as a backup/walk around camera (and sell my M50) and use my 1DX2 for the heavy lifting.

Upvote 0
I just do not see the appeal of the R. I had one on loan for a month and really tried to like it as a light weight companion to my 5D Mark IV. I returned the R, bought a Sony A7RIII as my mirrorless lightweight, along with a Sigma MC11 adapter, to use my Canon glass when I want the mirrorless body.

I truly found nothing redeeming in the R. It lacks every feature I want in a good mirrorless camera, from IBIS to useful 4K video features and a joystick for my focus points. How about the simple ability to turn off the back screen when I don't need it. I could perhaps forgive the lack of 2 card slots, if, like Nikon, they put a next generation card in the camera. They did none of this. It's low light performance was terrible compared not only to the great low light performance of the Sony 7 RIII, but even my 5D Mark IV.

I scratch my head that as a 1DX2 user, you would truly choose the R if you needed to buy a replacement body today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

That's what bothers me so much. Why would they make these pro lenses if there's no decent body to put them on? I've been waiting for an updated 50mm 1.2 (one that autofocuses faster, with less chromatic aberrations and a smoother focus ring...) and now they finally make one but it's for a prosumer body?!?

Upvote 0
That's what bothers me so much. Why would they make these pro lenses if there's no decent body to put them on? I've been waiting for an updated 50mm 1.2 (one that autofocuses faster, with less chromatic aberrations and a smoother focus ring...) and now they finally make one but it's for a prosumer body?!?
Exactly. My only disagreement is that it is really loose to call the R "prosumer." I don't see any aspect of the pro in it. Like you, I use the heck out of my 50mm 1.2 and have been waiting for an upgrade. And now I'm told put it on an R "consumer" body or wait a couple of years until we figure out how to build a pro mirrorless. I don't get it.

Upvote 0
[,,,] I've been waiting for an updated 50mm 1.2 (one that autofocuses faster, with less chromatic aberrations and a smoother focus ring...) and now they finally make one but it's for a prosumer body?!?

RF 1.2 50 is not made for prosumer bodies but for the RF bayonet.

I praise Canon for their comittment just to use my old non-USM non-IS 2.8 24 which will work flawlessly (while noisy) on an EOS R(P). While they cripple some camera features for thermal and or marketing reasons, you can stay mostly in the system with ~ 25 year old equipment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015

I am buying $2000 dollar glass on the EOS R!! Especially the RF50L and R is an absolutely fantastic combo, especially for shooting portraits, and for shooting moving subjects in low light! My hit rate of pictures of my daughter running around inside, using large aperture lenses, is so much better with the EOS R than my former 1DXII, that I had a hard time getting over it.

The R does a lot of things very, very well, but it isn’t the perfect camera for every situation.

Upvote 0