Canon, Canon Canon….. Please help the video stars

I would think by now that all TVs of any size run at 120 Hz or 240 Hz. My 10-year-old Sony LCD set runs at 120 Hz, and everything still looks good on it. I watch a fair number of movies on Blu-Ray. 120 is divisible by 24 as well as 30 and 60. 25 Hz PAL wouldn't do so well, but then I don't have any sources for it.

I just checked the (german) wikipedia web site: The highest framerate in progressive mode is 24p for Full HD and it has the 23.796p too. I am not shure if it runs always at 120Hz which is the refresh rate of the pixel content. If the BlueRay player only delivers 24 fps you do not need to update that often because the TFTransistors for the subpixels store their state until the next refresh. But in general there is no argument to restrict a camera to 30 or 60p to avoid 24p because it doesn't look well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I just don't get all this complaining. Vote with your wallet (this is where Canon will take notice) and purchase a tool for your specific needs. All this fuss over an entry level camera to boot. I kinda wish Canon had fully eliminated the video on the RP and sold it with Sony noise canceling head phones.

I generally don't pander to the complaints and agree with what you're saying, but I just can't with the giant issue of 1080 @ 24. A dang Rebel T7 can do this... there's zero additional cost to including it in the EOS RP.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I generally don't pander to the complaints and agree with what you're saying, but I just can't with the giant issue of 1080 @ 24. A dang Rebel T7 can do this... there's zero additional cost to including it in the EOS RP.

Even my old T3i had that feature, both in standard full frame readout and crop mode. The other big feature they removed from video mode this time around was the various exposure modes. Either manual or auto, no aperture or shutter priority.

I unfortunately ended up voting with my wallet this time like the previous commenter suggested. The Z6 will finally take me away from having to rely on a GH5 for video and a Canon for photography. Though, I'm still recommending an RP for my father since he doesn't need any video features.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I just don't get all this complaining. Vote with your wallet (this is where Canon will take notice) and purchase a tool for your specific needs. All this fuss over an entry level camera to boot. I kinda wish Canon had fully eliminated the video on the RP and sold it with Sony noise canceling head phones.

I just don't get all those excuses and pushing away loyal users out of the Canon brand. Some ppl are well invested into Canon and we are not asking for a rocket science here, nor for features, which would eventually made the camera more expensive. Canon just pushes their product nerfing beyond one's wildest imaginations. Or did YOU expect removal of a feature, which is present on many other lower rank models?

Upvote 0
[/QUOTE]I generally don't pander to the complaints and agree with what you're saying, but I just can't with the giant issue of 1080 @ 24. A dang Rebel T7 can do this... there's zero additional cost to including it in the EOS RP.[/QUOTE]

"Canon doesn’t like this site all that much, so they’re probably not going to listen to me. However, they will listen to you, the consumer. Get your voice heard in any way you can..."

just responding to the main point of this thread. You want Canon to listen? Stop buying.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I kinda wish Canon had fully eliminated the video on the RP and sold it with Sony noise canceling head phones.
I think you're missing a pair of quotes here: "Sony noise" cancelling headphones:p
I also hate that "Sony noise" and there's too much of it here on Canon Rumors...

Upvote 0
But in general there is no argument to restrict a camera to 30 or 60p to avoid 24p because it doesn't look well.
Actually there is. The person who is taking the video may not have the skills to pan or crawl the camera well and the end result may look stuttering on the TV or monitor. Just check Red Pan Calculator that says the time for 24p and 30p or 60p for a given focal length for a smooth panning shot is quite different and if you don't do it right (average video shooters do not get it right) your shot will not look good. 60p and 30p are more forgiving than 24p here.

Upvote 0
I just don't get all those excuses and pushing away loyal users out of the Canon brand. Some ppl are well invested into Canon and we are not asking for a rocket science here, nor for features, which would eventually made the camera more expensive. Canon just pushes their product nerfing beyond one's wildest imaginations. Or did YOU expect removal of a feature, which is present on many other lower rank models?

Yes I agree they should have included it, the main theme of this post was to get Canon to listen. I just buy what I need and from who can provide the product for my needs the best. The market responds to money.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
The Canon EOS 4000D with a plastic lens mount has 24fps 1080 video....

Glad to see Canon Rumors is vocal about this subject. Canon Watch is incredibly blind to anything negative about Canon. I recently saw a video produced by Michael the Maven about fanboys. It was meant to be globally referencing fanboys for all sides, but directly mentioned and discussed Canon. I shoot Canon and I make every single dollar in my bank account and travel the world with a Canon in my bag - I really like working with these cameras. I take offense when someone claims what Canon offers isn't good enough. It's the internet and people can't see beyond a spec sheet. I've also found that the majority of Sony shooters commenting on the internet are pretty inexperienced and appear to really need camera features to help them get their job done. That's a story for another day...

But, there is a time you step aside from your personal bubble and attack a decision made by a company you love. 24fps needs to be added into this camera and there is no logical reason for it to be missing. 1080p with an EF-S lens is a HUGE boost for migrating over to this camera. What are you protecting, Canon? You want this to be the perfect camera for APS-C DSLR users to migrate over to full-frame, but you're then forcing everyone to also sell their EF-S lenses for arbitrary reasons while crippling 4K video to not allow Dual Pixel AF.

I stand by Canon and love this brand, but this decision cannot and should not be defended by anyone on this website. It's 24fps video...the most BASIC form of video.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Is a modern TV not a computer display with built-in video reproduction (from USB) soft- and hardware and some satellite receiver?
I don't know about a modern TV (haven't used one for a long time), but my notebook's 4K UHD 100% Adobe RGB display is 60 Hz only.

Still, I am not a fan of dumbing down the choice. Put it into some kind of "advanced" menu if you think a "regular" user should not have an easy access to it. Custom Function 1005001: 0/1 for "normal"/"extended" video format list.

Upvote 0
Actually there is. The person who is taking the video may not have the skills to pan or crawl the camera well and the end result may look stuttering on the TV or monitor. Just check Red Pan Calculator that says the time for 24p and 30p or 60p for a given focal length for a smooth panning shot is quite different and if you don't do it right (average video shooters do not get it right) your shot will not look good. 60p and 30p are more forgiving than 24p here.

interesting concept: More forgiving for an ENTRY level camera. Maybe 30 is the new 24 :)

Upvote 0

If that were the issue, Canon wouldn't have put 24p in the 4k mode of in all the consumer cameras. I agree that not everyone gets it right, and that's why 30 or 60 is normally default. If a videographer or consumer is using enough panning for
Meanwhile, nikon just announced an upcoming firmware update for the Z6 and Z7 giving them uncompressed RAW output. I'm beginning to really resent my pile of EF lenses...

Do you have a 5D Mark III? The ML RAW has me holding on to it still, even though I don't daily drive it. Most of the time I shoot with the GH5's 4K for ease of use, but the 5D still outperforms it.

Upvote 0
Canon usually have a reason for doing stuff.

In this case I wonder if they have been a bit too smart. However, we have to think about the intended customers for this camera. And I assume that Canon have a long list of cases regarding beginners using cameras that are really too advanced for them. The EOS RP seems to be a somewhat idiot proofed full frame camera.

This is a camera for utter beginners who don't understand the spec sheet. I think that the 30fps stuff is a really good idea despite the complaints here. It reduces the number of complaints about the camera.

If the the user can't turn off the automatic switch from Full HD to HD, that is annoying and stupid. If it can be turned off (which I don't think it can) I'm perfectly fine with the default.

And despite claims of the opposite, Canon frequently disrupts itself. We see often that cheaper cameras get features we don't even have on the more expensive cameras. e.g. My 7D2 only have one F/8 AF point. The 80D have a lot more. I'm envious.

It is perfectly valid for Canon to take my envy into account when adding features to their cameras. After all, I could get so pissed off that I stop buying their cameras. Or only buy the cheap ones.

Upvote 0
This is why we criticize Canon. too many fanboys always find a way to defend them even when they pull crap like this. Then you got the "I dont do video" guys. No one cares about you guys. You are relics. Video is important in 2019.
Pretty bold statement. Do you have scientific facts to prove your point or are these just your personal feelings? PS: I would prefer a FF camera with no video at all. There are a multitude of excellent video cameras available. Not so much for stills only cameras. Not sure why people feel that insulting someone in their comments is so fashionable...could it be the anonymity of the internet?

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Canon cares about us guys who don't want to pay more for video features we won't use, and they show this by segmenting their product line. They are rewarded by having the highest camera sales.

I doubt anyone wants a $1,300 stills camera to have capacities that enable its use as a Cine camera substitute. The core compliant here is a simple one: Canon should ship cameras that enable users to use standard video frame rates, especially when enabling these frame rates require a costless software adjustment. This is not a frivolous criticism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
This is why we criticize Canon. too many fanboys always find a way to defend them even when they pull crap like this. Then you got the "I dont do video" guys. No one cares about you guys. You are relics. Video is important in 2019.

Sounds more like Canon doesn't care about you.

You talking out of your ass telling people they're relics and too stupid to understand their needs makes it a bit easier for me to understand why Canon would like to lose you as a customer.

Upvote 0
Meanwhile, nikon just announced an upcoming firmware update for the Z6 and Z7 giving them uncompressed RAW output. I'm beginning to really resent my pile of EF lenses...
That is awesome news for Canon shooters.

Fujifilm is doing their Kaizen firmware updates for multiple cameras for a long time and at some point Sony started to give some good updates, the most prominent being the shortly announced big AF update. Now Nikon is giving users a big update. I don't think Sony and Nikon will be as diligent as Fujifilm with the number of updates, but I could imagine that Sony will choose that strategy from now on from time to time. My point is if especially Nikon and Sony keep doing that, Canon will follow. Right now big Canon updates are more like "Oh, you wanna have C-Log? Okay, pay us some money, minion!"

Upvote 0