The Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II is finally on the way

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The PowerShot G5 X was announced back in October of 2015 and was one of the better selling G series cameras. Its mix of size, EVF and relatively fast 24-100mm f/1.8-2.8 lens made it fairly desirable for a point & shoot camera.
Canon prototype named PC 2355 has appeared at certification agencies and has been confirmed as the PowerShot G5 X Mark II by Nokishita.
Along with the PowerShot G7 X Mark III that has been spotted, it looks like we’re going to finally get some updates to the G series line of cameras.
There is no word on a replacement for the PowerShot G3 X which was announced in June of 2015 or the PowerShot G9 X Mark II which came out in 2017.

Continue reading...

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
How long will last the G series? In the light of the contracting market described by Canon themselves, I wonder if there will still be an "enthusiast compact" segment in the near future...

I think the G series is safe for a while. Product cycles are much longer now and there is still a market for cameras like this. Boomers love them and vloggers/travellers love the smaller G7 style cameras.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Since the shrinking market and volume for fixed compact camera trend to continue I think G7&G9x should be merge just into G7xm3 and the next to be announce G5X should have longer lens design given it's body and form should able to easily fit in it and the super long 1inch G3X rarely has any market left where their own SX series can easily overtake it in term of range or price except the trade off is smaller sensor size and image quality.

Upvote 0
The G7x and G5x Cameras are amazingly powerful, compared to a standard APSC DSLR with a kit lens. Yes, the sensory are smaller but the brighter lenses compensate for it. for users who not need other than the kit lenses, they are valuable alternatives. Marketed properly, there should be a market for them.

maybe the manufacturers like better that the customers buy a DSLR in the hope that some customers get infected by GAS

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

freejay

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2015
I like my G5X but

- auto focus could be better (smaller af point, better in low light)
- the EVF is too contrasty for my taste and not bright enough in daylight (yes, I mean the EVF)
- it doesn't have picture styles (which the G7X II has) which leaves you with a fixed, too sharp video image.

If these points will be enhanced, I'll surely replace my old one.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
How long will last the G series? In the light of the contracting market described by Canon themselves, I wonder if there will still be an "enthusiast compact" segment in the near future...

There is demand for quality compacts. After G7 X mark II and G9 X mark II were released the sale of compact cameras rose first time since 2010. Last year when Canon had really nothing new besides the expensive G1 Mark III sale again dropped.

Upvote 0