Canon EOS-1D X Mark III field testing has begun [CR2]

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
---

Then you would KNOW who I really am and THAT would be a VERY BAD IDEA on my part!

My name isn't famous but some of my photos are (infamous?) and you would DEFINITELY KNOW THEM especially if you're a bit older (35+)!

I'll decline that challenge for now......
OMG! Don't know how we all missed it before! He's Clint Eastwood!

Upvote 0
Clearly, you haven't looked through the electronic viewfinder of the Sony a7RIII or a9. They are as good if not better—especially with very long glass— as any optical viewfinder from Canon, including the 1D X Mk II.

I have, and they're not. Can't you see the pixels?

I'll grant you with long lenses in dim conditions the EVF will be brighter. That could be desirable for sports. For wildlife it usually isn't, because your eye's iris closes down, which makes it harder to see through binoculars or just with the bare eye; wildlife photography often involves swapping between.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Dirty Harryfilm
I know what you are thinking..... did I take five pictures or did I take six pictures? Well, in all this excitement I kind of forgot. Now this is a 1DX3, the most powerful camera in the world and it can blow your highlights out, so you have to ask yourself, “ do I feel Lucky”... well punk, do you feel lucky?

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I know what you are thinking..... did I take five pictures or did I take six pictures? Well, in all this excitement I kind of forgot. Now this is a 1DX3, the most powerful camera in the world and it can blow your highlights out, so you have to ask yourself, “ do I feel Lucky”... well punk, do you feel lucky?

---

To sort of, somewhat, maybe give you an idea what we did in the old days, here is a STILL FRAME capture from a consumer-level 1920 by 1080 HDTV VIDEO CAMERA we took from a helicopter on the British Columbia coast which we processed, modfied and sharpened for ERROR DIFFUSION PRINTING at 2400 dpi purposes around 2004 if I remember correctly. The CONTENT of the image itself is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than it's actual quality (which is actually quite noisy and poor!). The SUBJECT MATTER and FRAMING of any given image IS ALWAYS MORE IMPACTFUL than it's absolute viewing quality! The image taken by the 6 megapixel Canon G2 was NOT accepted while the 1080p still frame video grab WAS accepted for printing!

So even the OLDEST 756 x 486 pixel DigiBeta still frame video capture can be printed at high resolution IF you know what you're doing AND the magazine accepts. SOME DO. SOME WON'T! The key thing is a proper de-interlacer and fractal resizer and some judicious colour correction and sharpening. If a publishing house accepts THIS image even IF it's from a VIDEO CAMERA, don't you think an agency will accept and PAY for an image that is IMPACTFUL and EMOTIONALLY TOUCHING?

Attachments

• HDTV_Video_Frame_Processed_And_Sharpened_For_Error_Diffusion_Printing.png
    HDTV_Video_Frame_Processed_And_Sharpened_For_Error_Diffusion_Printing.png
    4 MB · Views: 249
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Really good news from Canon, I'm also hoping for a EOS 5D V !
Given the intense mirrorless development and marketing going on now at Canon, I would make a small wager that the next 5D will likely be a 5DR mirrorless, by any name, not a 5D v DSLR. We better start liking mirrorless as it now appears obvious that's going to be where all the R & D money is going. Hoping for more DSLR offerings may be a little optimistic at this point, not that it hurts to hope.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Lots of big words on these forum these days ^^^^^^^^^ I don't many of use them and I don't understand your sensor science chat but folks still like my photographs, enough to purchase them!...that is much more important than arguing about specs.

---

AND even IF your photo was taken by 640 by 480 Fisher Price toy camera, it will STILL be accepted and PAID FOR by any news agency IF the CONTENT of the photo is compelling enough and of high emotionally impact to a large audience! Sooooo.....WHO CARES if you have a Canon 1DxMk2/Mk3 or an iPhone? If you KNOW how to frame your photos, crop them properly and do some BASIC colour correction, THEY CAN AND WILL BE ACCEPTED by almost any print or web publisher for widespread paid distribution!

Subject Matter! Subject Matter! Subject Matter!

Content! Content! Content!

Framing! Framing! Framing!

Cropping! Cropping! Cropping!

Emotional Impact! Emotional Impact! Emotional Impact!

Resolution and camera used? Who Cares if you have the above FIVE concepts down pat!

Again, the BEST CAMERA is always the one in your hands READY FOR RIGHT NOW !!!

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
---

AND even IF your photo was taken by 640 by 480 Fisher Price toy camera, it will STILL be accepted and PAID FOR by any news agency IF the CONTENT of the photo is compelling enough and of high emotionally impact to a large audience! Sooooo.....WHO CARES if you have a Canon 1DxMk2/Mk3 or an iPhone? If you KNOW how to frame your photos, crop them properly and do some BASIC colour correction, THEY CAN AND WILL BE ACCEPTED by almost any print or web publisher for widespread paid distribution!

Subject Matter! Subject Matter! Subject Matter!

Content! Content! Content!

Framing! Framing! Framing!

Cropping! Cropping! Cropping!

Emotional Impact! Emotional Impact! Emotional Impact!

Resolution and camera used? Who Cares if you have the above FIVE concepts down pat!

Again, the BEST CAMERA is always the one in your hands READY FOR RIGHT NOW !!!

At the risk of agreeing with Harry......

Bigfoot! Nessie! UFOs! The only pictures are low resolution and badly blurred, yet there are people who pay plenty for them and they always get featured prominently in the tabloids..... 1DX2 level AF systems are not needed there :)

Upvote 0
At the risk of agreeing with Harry......

Bigfoot! Nessie! UFOs! The only pictures are low resolution and badly blurred, yet there are people who pay plenty for them and they always get featured prominently in the tabloids..... 1DX2 level AF systems are not needed there :)

Moreover a top level AF system would probably prevent you from taking a good bigfoot photo.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I think able to look through the ovf when it’s off is a big advantage, beside battery life it’s also advantage that a dslr when switched to on without pressing button is basically not consuming power, but a mirrorless will always need to be turned off when not expected to be used in some time to prevent it drained the battery and gets heating up.

So it’s a plus to dslr whenever you need to quickly react to something in surprise

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
AND even IF your photo was taken by 640 by 480 Fisher Price toy camera, it will STILL be accepted and PAID FOR by any news agency IF the CONTENT of the photo is compelling enough and of high emotionally impact to a large audience!

Conversely if I submitted a blurry or poorly-framed photo in my area of interest it would be rejected forthwith, regardless of subject rarity.

Quite often I'll come back from a shoot and delete all my photos. I'd rather have no photos of an event than technically crap photos.

You can't just make blanket assertions about what's important in photography. News agencies and their requirements are irrelevant to 99% of photographers.

Upvote 0
Actually, it's the other way around. When we stop liking mirrors, then Canon will stop refreshing lenses in EF mount.

It would be very stupid for a sensor maker not to make money on sensors for automation these days. A market for medical imaging is not that big.

Let's not also forget, and if I am not mistaken, that Canon owns an AXIS. I know those are different kind of cameras, but still a possibility of some sensor technology to share.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
i mean i need power on to autofocus.
someone just claimed : mirrorless currently does not beat DSLRs in all aspects. Battery life and the ability to see through the camera when it is off are 2 characteristics.
Using zero power when the camera is effectively a telescope is a real thing. I can observe a bird for an hour before taking a shot, or maybe not at all because I'm just learning their behaviour.

AF flash illuminator that works is another thing. Obviously, for strobists and flash photography, wysiwyg EVF is much less exciting.

Anyways, when it comes down to it, they are different tools with their own merits, but you don't hear DSLR shooters wishing mirrorless would die off. Personally, I hope that both continue to be improved for a long time to come, and I'm glad that MILCs give the camera manufacturers some extra revenue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0