Samyang to announce a 14mm f/2.8 RF and 85mm f/1.4 RF soon

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Samyang has plans to announce 8 new lenses by the end of Q2 in 2019. The first lens they announced was the 10mm f/3.5 for the EF mount yesterday.
It now that Samyang will launch two new manual focus lenses for Canon’s RF mount very soon.
The two lenses coming will be a 14mm f/2.8 RF and an 85mm f/1.4 RF, as mentioned earlier, these are both manual focus lenses.
We’re not sure if these are simply mount conversions of existing lenses or new optical designs.

samyang14grf-168x168.jpg

samyang85rf-168x168.jpg

Continue reading...

The OP photos of the lenses appear to have built in extensions to account for the RF flange distance difference from EF. So probably the same old optical formula with a new mount and MF.

Strange then that they are using the older manual focus optical design and not their newer AF one.

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Strange then that they are using the older manual focus optical design and not their newer AF one.

They probably don't have the technology to do AF on the RF mount yet. They're barely getting into AF on the EF mount.

Just a thought - as noted earlier, they seem to have taken the EF lens and put a different mount on it. The 14 mm in particular would benefit greatly from the shorter flange distance, which would require much less retrofocus in the design.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
so samyang made manual, then moved to Af and now ith the ef they're going back to Manual? A few steps back isn't it for them? Prob best just to splash out and get a proper AF lens.

Manual focus won't matter for the 10mm and probably the 14mm since the DOF will be so great (in most cases you can either focus as close as possible, or at some rough estimate of the hyperfocal distance)

For the 85mm it is a big issue.

Incidentally, I wonder if the APS-C version of this lens registers as a FF lens on the RP? Third-party lenses may let you get away with using a crop lens in 4K which is otherwise disabled on that camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
Any third party lenses for Canon will have reverse engineered autofocus. I doubt Samyang has worked out the R mount autofocus yet and reverse engineering will never beat native autofocus for reliability. Also, don’t expect Zeiss to produce R mount autofocus lenses. Sony share their autofocus technology which is why that mount has autofocus lenses from Zeiss.

Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2016
Any third party lenses for Canon will have reverse engineered autofocus. I doubt Samyang has worked out the R mount autofocus yet and reverse engineering will never beat native autofocus for reliability. Also, don’t expect Zeiss to produce R mount autofocus lenses. Sony share their autofocus technology which is why that mount has autofocus lenses from Zeiss.

Shouldn't they be able to fake as if the lens is connected via an adapter, and use their existing EF implementation?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
delightphoto.zenfolio.com
I have used both lenses a couple of days now.

Finally both lenses as convinced me, especially because of the expected price point. I do not think that they make it much more expensive....
Interestingly they are lighter and better to handle than using the RF-EF Adapter.

Regarding the 14mm f2.8: they added a bit of dust and weather proofing, wich is nice to get.

Regarding the 85mm f1.4: First of all the image quality is pretty impressive. Especially color and bokeh-rendering..

Regarding focusing: mirrorless is making the use of manual focusing lenses much easier. Manual focusing is more accurate than autofocus... you have more control - especially with the 10x magnification in the viewfinder... What has astonished me the most was how well focus peaking works...

In conclusion: for newcomers without any glass and history, especially in combination with the RP: these lenses are the budget add ons....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0