Canon EOS RP w/RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM in stock and ready to ship

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Mine shipped today. I am usually NOT an early adopter. Last time I jumped early was the old Eos M (first iteration) and I was disappointed. But, I did handle the R in a store a couple of months ago. It was impressive but not enough to make me jump to mirrorless as my primary piece. But, smaller and lighter FF as a secondary body? I am excited. And I was able to sell some of the stuff I am replacing to ease the financial hit.

Sure hope LR and Topaz are ready for this camera's RAW output.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I agonized over the RP vs. the EOS R. I decided on the EOS R. I get it today!! Excited.

The reasons that swayed me were:

-RP not out at the time
-RP does NOT do silent shutter (hope they do in a future firmware update, how this is held back blows my mind)
-R shutter is rated to 200k cycles. RP is 100k. (not a huge deal, but it did help sway me)
-R has noticably better dynamic range and shadow recovery. Used to shoot the 6D and 5DII and shadow recovery was always nasty.
-R uses a bigger battery
I won’t say I agonized over the decision, but I did give it some thought and like you, I opted for the R (it arrives tomorrow). The lower price of the RP was tempting, but I was swayed by:

• Faster frame rate
• The better EVF, which I hope makes the transition from an OVF easier
• Higher shutter durability
• Presumed accessory availability (e.g., RRS L-bracket)

Wasn’t worried about the RP’s smaller battery, as I have spares for the M6 that uses the same battery.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I won’t say I agonized over the decision, but I did give it some thought and like you, I opted for the R (it arrives tomorrow). The lower price of the RP was tempting, but I was swayed by:

• Faster frame rate
• The better EVF, which I hope makes the transition from an OVF easier
• Higher shutter durability
• Presumed accessory availability (e.g., RRS L-bracket)

Wasn’t worried about the RP’s smaller battery, as I have spares for the M6 that uses the same battery.

Curious to hear what features this camera gives that were important to you. The ND adapter is up there for me as well as the size/weight for certain types of holiday travel. I don't like traipsing around cities with the 1DX2 around my neck.

Jack

Upvote 0

Chavim

5D2, RP
Feb 11, 2019
dphacks.com
What is going on with Adorama? They cancelled my order because my Apple Pay transaction from a week ago expired, so I had to reorder. Now they’re saying it’s on back order and a rep said no clue when cameras will be available. :rolleyes: Has anyone had their camera ship?

Yeah, I ordered the body only package and my camera was shipped last night.

Upvote 0

Chavim

5D2, RP
Feb 11, 2019
dphacks.com
I got my ship confirmation from The Camera Store in Calgary. Estimated delivery date is Monday. As noted above, we get an extra battery instead of the grip here in Canuckistan.

This is my first time as a launch customer for a new body. Any guesses how long I'll be shooting JPEGs while waiting for Lightroom support?

Nice. I rather have an extra battery than the grip.

Canon's DPP software should work with the RP's raw right away.

Upvote 0
Nice. I rather have an extra battery than the grip.

Canon's DPP software should work with the RP's raw right away.

I'd also prefer the extra battery; I was planning to buy one with it anyway. I might end up getting the grip extender once I've tried it out, but I don't need the hands-on to know I want a second battery.

I'll just shoot RAW+JPEG to begin with and file away the raws until Adobe comes through.

Upvote 0
Someone on youtube posted 4K video from the RP shot on the RF 24-105. The captions are in Norwegian but it's simple enough to google translate. The video honestly doesn't look that bad even at a 1.74 crop. Of course there is no Clog but you could load a profile to help with grading though it won't be a direct/complete replacement for clog.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Curious to hear what features this camera gives that were important to you. The ND adapter is up there for me as well as the size/weight for certain types of holiday travel. I don't like traipsing around cities with the 1DX2 around my neck.
The main rationale for the R was a smaller FF camera for travel. What really pushed me over the edge was the availability of the variND filter adapter, because two of my main lenses for architecture are the TS-E 17 and the 11-24L (I do have the WonderPana 145mm for the TS-E 17, but it’s a pain to bring along on trips, and thus I never bothered getting the even larger front filters for the 11-24). I’m still not seeing the adapter available, so I won’t have it for my trip (leaving on Sunday), but that’s ok because this trip will be landscapes not architecture, so I may take only the RF 24-105 ( I have plenty of 77mm filters).

When I want really small, e.g. for local daytime family outings, it’s hard to beat the M6.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The main rationale for the R was a smaller FF camera for travel. What really pushed me over the edge was the availability of the variND filter adapter, because two of my main lenses for architecture are the TS-E 17 and the 11-24L (I do have the WonderPana 145mm for the TS-E 17, but it’s a pain to bring along on trips, and thus I never bothered getting the even larger front filters for the 11-24). I’m still not seeing the adapter available, so I won’t have it for my trip (leaving on Sunday), but that’s ok because this trip will be landscapes not architecture, so I may take only the RF 24-105 ( I have plenty of 77mm filters).

When I want really small, e.g. for local daytime family outings, it’s hard to beat the M6.
In exactly the same situation, almost to the letter, however I have held off at the moment to see what the ‘pro’ R brings.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I'm happy with the R, and won't get an RP. However, there are some things I don't like about R -- like many others, I'm not fond of the dial, the rocker switch and the lack of a thumb dial at/instead of the D-pad, and I'd love a few more buttons. I do like the changes that Canon made on the cheaper RP, adapting to user feedback. I think it bodes well for R+, R Pro or R2.

I will almost certainly buy the next higher-end-than-RP Canon mirrorless, but I'll probably the next 5D series DSLR, too -- provided that Canon gives it an articulating screen.

I am not in a rush to buy RF lenses, as my EF lenses work wonderfully. Most likely, I will judiciously buy lenses that I can't get in EF (because outside of super telephotos, I own most of the EF lenses I want), like the 28-70/2.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
In exactly the same situation, almost to the letter, however I have held off at the moment to see what the ‘pro’ R brings.
That was my initial plan, but I became impatient. ;)

If the ‘pro’ R is that much better, I’ll upgrade. I’ve been fine with 18 MP FF, so it’ll have to be something more than just resolution.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What is going on with Adorama? They cancelled my order because my Apple Pay transaction from a week ago expired, so I had to reorder. Now they’re saying it’s on back order and a rep said no clue when cameras will be available. :rolleyes: Has anyone had their camera ship?
Yes, It shipped yesterday and It arrived today before 10:30 am, I ordered through adorama as well about a week ago but not on apple pay, sorry to hear that hopefully you can get it soon! or I think B&H do have them in stock

Upvote 0