The new PL mount CN-E prime lenses that are coming soon are more than just a mount conversion

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We reported back in January that Canon was going to release PL-mount versions of its CN-E prime lenses.
We’re now being told that the new PL mount CN-E prime lenses will have some optical differences when compared to the EF mount versions, most notably the footage from the new PL mount versions are noticeably softer and have less contrast than the EF mount versions.
The PL mount prime lenses will also have some subtle design differences.
We expect to see the new PL mount prime lenses announced ahead of NAB next month.

Canon’s Cine Prime Lineup:

CN-E 14mm T3.1 L F
CN-E 20mm T1.5 L F...

Continue reading...

is softer and less contrast better?

The lower contrast is good(just like shooting in LOG with compressed formats). Video deals with more dynamic range issues. As for the lens softness issue, it's usually to help cut back on chromatic abrasion and aliasing. For those that are really splitting hairs, the added softness to a lens is to make sure the edge of the frame and center are more consistent in sharpness.
With that said, I'm perfectly content shooting with EF lenses and wouldn't give up IS for such minor details. Then again, I do more run and gun and don't have an entire production crew.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
The lower contrast is good(just like shooting in LOG with compressed formats). Video deals with more dynamic range issues. As for the lens softness issue, it's usually to help cut back on chromatic abrasion and aliasing. For those that are really splitting hairs, the added softness to a lens is to make sure the edge of the frame and center are more consistent in sharpness.
With that said, I'm perfectly content shooting with EF lenses and wouldn't give up IS for such minor details. Then again, I do more run and gun and don't have an entire production crew.
Useful info but it seems most people who frequent this site aren’t wannabe cinematographers but gear whores looking for stills camera/lens info for their next purchase and to complain about Canon’s disappointing 4K ;-).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Useful info but it seems most people who frequent this site aren’t wannabe cinematographers but gear whores looking for stills camera/lens info for their next purchase and to complain about Canon’s disappointing 4K ;-).

That is quite likely.

Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
If true, and I'm really not sure this sounds true at all...but if true, this would be an attempt to capture some of the "magic" that vintage lenses from cooke etc have. I remember seeing at NAB last year a c700FF kitted out with canon's new 20mm sitting next to another c700FF with a cooke anamorphic on it. Frankly, I thought the cooke looked like dog doodie...but one could argue that the CN-E was a little too perfect, if there is such a thing. Honestly..if canon was working on a lens that had different characteristics it wouldn't be of the same series, and I'd hardly believe that they would make it PL only. That's just not their bag.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
PL mounts make sense since that will significantly broaden the market for these.

I'd love to add a cinema lens to my portfolio but the problem is that my canon video cams (1DX2, Log5D4) as basically useless without DPAF. There's no way I could consistently pull manual focus on either. Fixed rear LCD, no focusing aids and no 4K out to an external recorder that could add focusing aids. That 35 CN-E would be awesome but the reality is that on my gear I'll get much better results with my 35 f2 IS.

Upvote 0