Canon instant cameras on the way?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Some new SKUs have appeared over at Nokishita for two types of “instant cameras”. The cameras fall under the IVY or iNSPiC (Japan) naming series, which is the same as Canon’s lines of mobile printers.
Canon Instant Cameras:

3879C001: IVY 2in1 Instant Camera (Gold)
3879C002: IVY 2in1 Instant Camera (White)
3879C003: IVY 2in1 Instant Camera (Blue)
3879C004: IVY 2in1 Instant Camera (Red)
3884C001: IVY instant camera (green)
3884C002: IVY Instant Camera (Yellow)
3884C003: IVY instant camera (blue)
3884C004: IVY instant camera (red)

Continue reading...

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
What every YouTuber wants to know is if it can record video and if so can it do 24fps@1080p because if not this camera will be rated DOA lol

Is it ISO invariant so I can boost my photo by 5 stops after printing? Also, if it doesn't have eyeAF and in body printing stabilization, I'm going to sell all of my canon gear and take up charcoal sketching.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Canon leading from behind again. “Thanks for showing us the way, Fuji!”

Fuji had a film/paper business it tried to re-purpose - remember it made films for Polaroid cameras as well so it had the expertise - and it was a good bet.

Canon really never had something as such - and its portable printers uses a technology developed elsewhere, and my bet is these new cameras are using it as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

My biggest concern is the price of the print. With digital postings being free that is tough to compete with. That said there does seem to be a small trend heading in the direction of hard copies, especially on the spot at events etc.
But the cost can't be so much as you worry every time a photo is taken you just lost 3 meals in your budget.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Canon has long been about the only manufacturer to put printers in small handheld calculators, so they have the technology to put one in a camera. However, I doubt if there is a market, because the big thing is to post images online, not have prints in your wallet or purse.

Isn't the Instax technology more akin to Polaroid than inkjet or dye-sublimation? It looks that the ZINK tech too originated in Polaroid.

I have some doubts if there is a market for an Instax competitor. Fuji does have enough success, as some people do like the little immediate prints - but how many player that market could sustain is another matter.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I have some doubts if there is a market for an Instax competitor. Fuji does have enough success, as some people do like the little immediate prints - but how many player that market could sustain is another matter.
In 2018, sales were approximately 11 million ILCs, 8.5 million fixed lens digital cameras, and somewhere around 7.5 million Fuji Instax (the last is based on a prior-year estimate). In other words, Fuji sold about as many Instax camers as Canon sold digital cameras. Why would you think there’s not a market for an Instax competitor?

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Isn't the Instax technology more akin to Polaroid than inkjet or dye-sublimation? It looks that the ZINK tech too originated in Polaroid.

In 2018, sales were approximately 11 million ILCs, 8.5 million fixed lens digital cameras, and somewhere around 7.5 million Fuji Instax (the last is based on a prior-year estimate). In other words, Fuji sold about as many Instax camers as Canon sold digital cameras. Why would you think there’s not a market for an Instax competitor?

Price and quality can expand the market. The pie is not fixed in size until you saturate the entire world population.
Many of these products are oriented to other markets outside the USA.
We need to look at the corporations as global not USA centric. Too many here cannot see beyond the USA or other major developed countries.
How many of you saw the Canon T60 for sale?
Unless you were in economically depressed or third world countries you didn't.
It came out in 1990, 3 years after the EOS and was the last FD camera made.
So think globally and how the print is usable in other societies.

Upvote 0
When commenting on their 9-month FY2019/03 accounts Fujifilm said they're selling 1 million Instax per month. That's 12 million per year, far more than the total number of compact cameras sold by Japanese manufacturers in 2018 (8.7 million cameras).

Last edited:
Upvote 0