The next EOS R system camera gets a mention again [CR1]

Jun 20, 2013
I think I can safely bet we are not getting 70MP@8FPS. 6 max which will be sad. But the real point is how sad it is to have a camera which would be capable of 40MP@10FPS with just a lower res and higher fps switch but it will not be implemented.
Yep, I bet $4500. Guys thinking 2-3k have no idea. :)

6?

anything over 3 with a single DIGIC would be amazing. Maybe 5 if they use dual DIGIC's.

where's this 40MP coming from are you just pulling that out of the air? they can't even demonstratably do 10 fps at 40MP.

Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
I wish it was just 50MP with 8 FPS.
Coz 70MP would be 4-5 FPS and they will probably not let us have a simple switch to 40 MP @ 10 FPS. Just too great to have and ruins 1Dx line.

Honestly, if canon fears for their 1Dx line, they won't at least match what the competition offers. I mean, its mirrorless. The speed of the shutter is no longer an issue - processing and software technology is.
I do hope that they will offer an option for lower MP at higher frame rates. I'd be happy with 7-8 fps.. more than happy. The tracking system is great albeit a slow shutter rate even on the Eos R.

Upvote 0
I would like to see two versions of whatever the next "R" Canon becomes.

Owing a 5DS, I would prefer 50 megapixels or less, or the option to shoot medium RAW. And I'm fine with no IBIS. As long as two bodies could both have dual card slots and some extra features, maybe one could be 75 megapixels with IBIS for more money, and another 42 megapixels and no IBIS for less money. I think both would sell.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
This could potentially be the camera that brings over to FF mirrorless / RF mount. While I don't need 70MP, a higher end body than the EOS R is what I'm looking for. IBIS, faster frame rate, better ergonomics, potentially some improvements in AF, dual card slots - these are all features I would welcome.

I will keep looking forward to Canon's camera body and lens offerings in this mount. In the meantime, my DSLRs and EF/EF-S lenses, including some L glass serve me very well.
Agreed! 70mp is overkill for me as well, I'd gladly trade off some of those mp's for faster frame rate. The EOS R is definitely substandard with it's frame rate for FF mirrorless in my opinion. I do own a copy of the EOS R and I think it's a huge step in the right direction. I find as I did with my 5d Mk IV, when it initially came out, it was dragged through the mud as it were, with many folks here and many other sites, saying it wasn't worth the upgrade from my 5d Mk III. I bought it, expecting to send it back, but after 30 minutes of shooting with it, I knew it wasn't going anywhere! lol.. So what I mean here, is that the EOS R seems to be a fair shake better than a lot of the naysayers had complained about...

I like the EOS R, I've not fallen in love with it by any means, but I do like it. I'm sending the copy I have back for another copy, as this first one seems to have some focusing issues, primarily a focus shift. It seems to grab focus at about 3-4" above the focal point and about the same to the right of the focal point.

If I can like it a lot, I'll keep it and wait for the next iteration to come out, end of year, as it sounds much more capable, depending on how much of the info is true. I think that ibis would be great, but many of my EF L lenses are already stabilized, so not a huge issue for me. That said, it would be a plus, one would think. Additionally, I feel the price tag may cause some eye blisters when it's finally announced...

All the best,

Ken

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Krob78

Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
I would like to see two versions of whatever the next "R" Canon becomes.

Owing a 5DS, I would prefer 50 megapixels or less, or the option to shoot medium RAW. And I'm fine with no IBIS. As long as two bodies could both have dual card slots and some extra features, maybe one could be 75 megapixels with IBIS for more money, and another 42 megapixels and no IBIS for less money. I think both would sell.
I still think that dual card slots would be great, but maybe not having a CF card slot. I think we don't need that as the extra slot anymore...

Upvote 0

Krob78

Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
then it's not the camera for you. yours is coming out in 2020.

I'm disappointed they dropped it down from 120MP to be honest.
I understand how you feel, I do have some agreement with your previous post points as well. Being mirrorless, it just seems as if they could squeeze perhaps 10-12 fps out of it, without much effort. For me personally, if they had to go from 70mp to 50mp, I'd be okay with it. If I did venture in to a photography needing the additional few fps rate, I'd be fine with the 70mp. Actually I'm fine with it anyway, I just think they could pull the fps up just a tad without compromising much in the mp department...

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
then it's not the camera for you. yours is coming out in 2020.

I'm disappointed they dropped it down from 120MP to be honest.

Rough FPS..

DIGIC 8 in the R does 8 FPS at 30MP for 240MP/Second. This is the fastest DIGIC 8 is currently running.

That equates to 3.4 FPS at 70MP.

Let's assume a 70% improvement using a dual DIGIC arrangement. That's assuming they can run dual DIGIC on a mirrorless camera with a smaller shell, and also a high power requirement for EVF/LCD use.

That would be 408MP/Second which would be around 5.75FPS.

it's probably not going to do 6, 7 or 8 fps, and Canon's never done a high speed crop before either.

Assuming they can't do a dual DIGIC (which may be unlikely) even 50MP leads to around 4.75 fps, so lowering the MP isn't going to significantly increase the FPS.

Upvote 0

Krob78

Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Rough FPS..

DIGIC 8 in the R does 8 FPS at 30MP for 240MP/Second. This is the fastest DIGIC 8 is currently running.

Let's assume a 70% improvement using a dual DIGIC arrangement.

it's probably not going to do 6, 7 or 8 fps, and Canon's never done a high speed crop before either.
Right... Unfortunately, it's only doing 5 fps with tracking enabled.. fortunately, I've got good form and skills for tracking over the years! lol..

Yes, I'd have to agree, it would most likely have to be a dual digic arrangement, for certain. Fortunately, I do have the current R model and it's pretty decent. I also retained my 5d4 as well and I'm certain it will serve me well into 2020 for "mine" to get here! I'll look forward to your critique after you've been able to get "yours" and put it through the paces... :)

Didn't they produce 10 fps with the 7D Mk II? That's a crop...

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Right... Unfortunately, it's only doing 5 fps with tracking enabled.. fortunately, I've got good form and skills for tracking over the years! lol..

Yes, I'd have to agree, it would most likely have to be a dual digic arrangement, for certain. Fortunately, I do have the current R model and it's pretty decent. I also retained my 5d4 as well and I'm certain it will serve me well into 2020 for "mine" to get here! I'll look forward to your critique after you've been able to get "yours" and put it through the paces... :)

I doubt it will have dual digics unless it's a 1D form factor with a battery to match.

this is just pure throughput not even talking tracking.

the 7D Mark II only had a throughput of 200MP/second and it even had dual digics to try and do that with. one DIGIC 8 chip is 20% faster than the dual 6 DIGICS in the 7D Mark II.

Upvote 0
Rough FPS..

Let's assume a 70% improvement using a dual DIGIC arrangement. That's assuming they can run dual DIGIC on a mirrorless camera with a smaller shell, and also a high power requirement for EVF/LCD use.

Assuming they can't do a dual DIGIC (which may be unlikely) even 50MP leads to around 4.75 fps, so lowering the MP isn't going to significantly increase the FPS.
Your figures are slightly off. The dual Digic 6 was good for 253mp/sec (5DSR) and the Digic 8 (it's replacement) usually matches the dual digic speed of the previous gen Dual Digic. So we would expect a Dual Digic 8 to be good for the same 250+mp/s. Often in the past, 6D/5D cameras received the new Digic but the camera performance was lower than the threshold capability of the processor. The dual digic rates are suaully 1.5x that of a sing;e digic processor of the same generation.
The 1DxII has a Dual Digic 6+ processor that's good for (20.214) 282.8 mp/s...or (20.216) 323mp/s in live view mode. So its fair to say that a single Digic 8+ is probably capable of the same 280-325mp/s depending on the over clock. So it's reasonable to assume that a Dual Digic 8+ is likely to yield 420mp/s to 487mp/s....a truly astonishingly high through put. A 70mp sensor could yield a shutter speed of around 7fps with that processor. Interestingly, the same processor could also yield a 14fps 30mp 1dxIII and that's a truly mouth watering proposition.
There's still life in the DSLR range for sure.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
There are a number of different ways a camera can alternate between shooting its full / natural resolution (let's assume 70MP for this hypothetical higher end Canon FF mirrorless / EOS RF mount camera body). I am hoping that Canon will introduce new hardware with this camera, that overcomes the data transfer bottle neck

I have a reasonably sound appreciation of the general aspects of data through-put, computational power required for AF and tracking (in this case, on sensor/DPAF) and the interaction with frame rates on each of these. I do not understand all the technical details (I expect few of us outside a Canon lab/factory really do, though some folks on this forum are more clued up than others).

If this camera is a megapixel monster, of 70MP, I would be very happy with 3 fps at full resolution (or even 2 fps, as I very rarely need more than that for high megapixel settings). If Canon can provide one (or even more) high quality (i.e. decent DR and clean / low-noise images) at reduced resolution modes, that will allow it faster fps, that would (obviously) meet the wishes of many a photographer who captures images across multiple genres (as I do).

Having mRAW and sRAW are important considerations here, as the flexibility of post processing with RAW files gives more latitude than JPEGs. I see the APS-C (crop mode) as being distinctly different to reduced resolution modes. For this reason, I am keen to see both used in all Canon FF mirrorless... and I aim to keep at least a few of my EF-S / APS-C compatible lenses (e.g. the Canon EF-S 10-18mm STM, Sigma 8-16mm HSM, and potentially the very handy Canon EF-S 15-85mm IS USM etc).

I would love to see Canon pull off a great product like this... and even though it will likely be relatively expensive, this one product would serve many photographers so well. Video features / functionality / capacity is much less important to me, than still photos, though I do appreciate for others, video is very important. For me, solid build quality, ergonomics, still photo quality, longevity (i.e. shutter rated to >=200,000 actuations would be great) and photographic features are things I want.

I am looking forward to keeping an eye on what Canon will pull out of the hat! With their seriously good RF lenses, I believe Canon has a serious quality FF Mirrorless up their sleeve....

PJ

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

riker

5D4
Jan 19, 2015
riker.hu
6?

anything over 3 with a single DIGIC would be amazing. Maybe 5 if they use dual DIGIC's.

where's this 40MP coming from are you just pulling that out of the air? they can't even demonstratably do 10 fps at 40MP.

Canon could do 50MP@5FPS 4 years ago with the 5Ds. At the same time Sony could do 42MP@5FPS. Since Oct 2017 Sony has 42MP@10FPS - the new EOS R is going to be 2 years after this. They should be able to produce 50MP@10FPS but I keep saying 40MP@8FPS coz I don't want to get greedy. Expecting less than what Sony did 2 years earlier hopefully makes me humble ;)

Upvote 0
I"m thinking about maybe renting the BM Design 4K pocket camera, and maybe the metabones adapter for my EF lenses, just to play with it and see how it works and how the workflow is. I like with the BM Design, you also get included the FULL version fo Davinci Resolve....like a $300 value.
But with the reasonable price of the BM 4K camera for video, a dedicated very well rated camera, I would look into buying it too primarily for video and using my "R" can 5D3 cameras as backup or B roll cameras.

cayenne
Good luck with the continuous autofocus with BM pocket cinema. It has a mind of its own when comes to auto focus!
Manual focus will be fine though.

Upvote 0
I doubt it will have dual digics unless it's a 1D form factor with a battery to match.

this is just pure throughput not even talking tracking.

the 7D Mark II only had a throughput of 200MP/second and it even had dual digics to try and do that with. one DIGIC 8 chip is 20% faster than the dual 6 DIGICS in the 7D Mark II.
5DS(R) has Dual DIGIC 6 image processors. So theoretically dual processor in 5D form factor camera is doable, hence 5-6FPS is probable, which is quite a lot for a high megapixel camera like this.

Upvote 0