The next EOS R system camera gets a mention again [CR1]

probably - but Canon has been pretty aggressive with pricing the R models so far - so here hoping the price starts with a 2 or a 3 and not a 4
Canon EOS R is $300 more than the competitions without IBIS, dual card slot, poorer eyeAF, 2 year old 5D IV sensor, and limited 4K options. I think they would want at least $3000 and up.

Sigh, 70 mpx is a lot for me. I pre-ordered Panasonic S1. It's everything I wish Canon 5D V equivalent would be in mirror less form.

Panasonic S1 $2500 with free battery & battery grip ($435 value).
  • 5.76 million dot EVF
  • Dual IS (6 stop stabilization IBIS + IS)
  • Dual card slot (CF express support, UHS-II)
  • ergonomic & weather sealed.
  • EyeAF with animal tracking
  • Fully touch screen LCD
  • 4K 60P, 4K 30 unlimited
  • Very clean high ISO
  • EF-L adapter with 100% compatibility with Sigma Art lenses.
  • High resolution mode S1 96 mpx, S1R 187 mpx
  • Focus bracketing

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Canon could do 50MP@5FPS 4 years ago with the 5Ds.

they also did that with dual DIGIC 6's. While DIGIC 8 is quicker, even with dual DIGIC 8's as the math showed, it isn't going to be considerably faster than 5 fps at 70mp.

then we have the heat and the power required, something I really doubt they'll shove into a 5D sized camera body. IMO, expecting anything over 3 is simply going to lead to disappointment. the R with a single DIGIC already has problems enough with battery life.

certainly some expecting faster than 8 will. lol

Upvote 0
Canon EOS R is $300 more than the competitions without IBIS, dual card slot, poorer eyeAF, 2 year old 5D IV sensor, and limited 4K options. I think they would want at least $3000 and up.
Sigh, 70 mpx is a lot for me. I pre-ordered Panasonic S1. It's everything I wish Canon 5D V equivalent would be in mirror less form.
Panasonic S1 $2500 with free battery & battery grip ($435 value).
  • 5.76 million dot EVF
  • Dual IS (6 stop stabilization IBIS + IS)
  • Dual card slot (CF express support, UHS-II)
  • ergonomic & weather sealed.
  • EyeAF with animal tracking
  • Fully touch screen LCD
  • 4K 60P, 4K 30 unlimited
  • EF-L adapter with 100% compatibility with Sigma Art lenses.
The problem with Panasonic the focus system is not as good as canon and no where near the quality of lenses. The camera body is only $2300 so it’s the cheapest thing compare to the RF glass coming. 14-24 f1.4 I mean who else is going to deliver that, nobody not even close. I’ll be happy with the next Pro R if it has IBIS 40mp 8-10fps, cause as soon as it comes then I’ll be buying pretty much every RF lens cause they all sound amazing, what other camera company you can say that about. What RF lens coming out doesn’t bring excitement. You’ll be able to use all your ef lenses for video with the nd filter. There’s millions of people just waiting for the lenses to drop and a pro body and you’ll see everyone switching back. Panasonic 50mmf1.4 is huge compare to the RF version and the RF is f1.2...anyway have fun with your gear

Upvote 0
The problem with Panasonic the focus system is not as good as canon and no where near the quality of lenses. The camera body is only $2300 so it’s the cheapest thing compare to the RF glass coming. 14-24 f1.4 I mean who else is going to deliver that, nobody not even close. I’ll be happy with the next Pro R if it has IBIS 40mp 8-10fps, cause as soon as it comes then I’ll be buying pretty much every RF lens cause they all sound amazing, what other camera company you can say that about. What RF lens coming out doesn’t bring excitement. You’ll be able to use all your ef lenses for video with the nd filter. There’s millions of people just waiting for the lenses to drop and a pro body and you’ll see everyone switching back. Panasonic 50mmf1.4 is huge compare to the RF version and the RF is f1.2...anyway have fun with your gear

The latest FW 0.7 was tracking well and sensitive to -6 EV. No pulsating and they just updated to version 1 so will see. Canon AF isn't the best anymore. I think Sony new AF system is the best if I absolutely care about AF. I don't even need the best AF system like Sony to take decent picture either so ability to use eyeAF and AI tracking is already more than enough for me. I used to shoot with Canon 6D with focus and recompose.

Panasonic 50 1.4 is a very nice lens from what I've tested and seen sample so are their other choices I've tried. I've been really happy with Sigma Art glasses like the Sigma 105 1.4 Art and 135 1.8, Sigma 14-24 2.8 Art, 14mm 1.8.

The new lenses are very nice but none really tempt me for the type of photography I shoot or make me want to pay $3000 for a lens. My most use lens is a 105 1.4 Art followed by Sigma 14-24 2.8 Art.

All lenses from most company nowadays are pretty damn good for me. I've no qualm from Panasonic, Sigma, Tamron, etc. The glass isn't going to be a limiting factor for me. None of my clients really care if I shot an image from a Sigma, GM, etc nor I care enough to pixel peep.

Maybe Canon will bring something that tempt me back or don't. It needs to be something significant given the Panasonic S1 is $2500 and I'm perfectly happy with my current lens line up that I got for great price. More mpx, faster fps isn't enough to tempt me especially Canon charging more than the competitions. I rather use that money toward traveling.

I'm traveling to Europe and more places this year so I look forward to using dual IS (IBIS + IS) that can be hand held 4 seconds in places that ban tripod and eyeAF when I hand it over to a non photographer.

My decision to leave Canon is based on my needs and priority. No camera is perfect. I'm just not happy with EOS R and that's why I return it and the way EOS R camera body is heading toward. I'm happy with any trinity lens from any camera company and my Sigma 105 1.4 Art which I use most.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Does it matter which mount (i.e., can you adapt EF and F mount sigma lenses)?

I’ll be looking for your review of the AF system. Being CDAF it may be a bit slower, but who knows?

Sigma Rep claimed to have 100% compatibility with Sigma EF lens. I'm guessing it's because they can add FW update to support their own lenses. I don't expect Canon EF lens to work perfectly so newer EF lens will work better. Some will work better than others but they aren't going to support another company via free FW update. I owned more Sigma Art lenses so I may sell Canon EF lens to get a 24-70 2.8 IS when they come out.

CDAF is very fast and accurate. Down to -6EV which is the same as Canon. Even for C-AF it is very competent but it won't beat DPAF or Sony but I don't need the best C-AF to get great pictures. It just need to be fast, accurate, and low light sensitive which it is. Also no banding under certain lighting condition like those exhibit with PDAF sensor/DPAF.

Here is the tracking test

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Sigma Rep claimed to have 100% compatibility with Sigma EF lens. I'm guessing it's because they can add FW update to support their own lenses. I don't expect Canon EF lens to work perfectly so newer EF lens will work better. Some will work better than others but they aren't going to support another company via free FW update. I owned more Sigma Art lenses so I may sell Canon EF lens to get a 24-70 2.8 IS when they come out.

CDAF is very fast and accurate. Down to -6EV which is the same as Canon. Even for C-AF it is very competent but it won't beat DPAF or Sony but I don't need the best C-AF to get great pictures. It just need to be fast, accurate, and low light sensitive which it is.

Here is the tracking test
CDAF is indeed very accurate, but since it needs to iterate it’s slower than phase all else equal. Panasonic’s system (depth from defocus) May be faster than traditional CDAF. I’m skeptical it’s faster than PDAF though since it still needs two working frames, and it’s limited to use with lenses it understands the characteristics of. Sigma due to the partnership may be fully supported. Canon lenses if you’re hoping to adapt will be less effective, I expect. I hope it’s great, though. Please report back when you get it!

Upvote 0
CDAF is indeed very accurate, but since it needs to iterate it’s slower than phase all else equal. Panasonic’s system (depth from defocus) May be faster than traditional CDAF. I’m skeptical it’s faster than PDAF though since it still needs two working frames, and it’s limited to use with lenses it understands the characteristics of. Sigma due to the partnership may be fully supported. Canon lenses if you’re hoping to adapt will be less effective, I expect.
Here is a test vs Nikon. It's very fast. Good enough for my needs.

Upvote 0
if shooting handheld with an RF 50mm f/1.2L on a 70MP body at 1.2 with a shutter speed of 1/50, what are the chances the image will have acceptable focus or be tack sharp?

Pretty much the same chances that that image would be tack sharp if shot with a 24MP 1.6x crop camera since that is roughly the same pixel density. Some people say to go 1/(focal length * 1.5 ) with crop bodies and that's what I like to use. However pixel densities on full frame keep going up but the original 1/(focal length) rule is still valid in a lot of cases because a higher MP image will still be at roughly the same level of sharpness if downsampled to the same size as a lower MP image. However if you want the same sharpness while pixel peeing at 1:1 or printing proportionally bigger then you'll want faster shutter speeds ( or stabilization if hand holding shake is the limiting factor ) .

Upvote 0
This will be a fantastic landscape/architecture camera. It will need some R-mount wideangles and ultrawides...

That upcoming 15-35 might do it for me! I'm going to get a loner EF 16-35 to see how close it comes to capturing what my 17 TSE does. If the 16 is good, 15 will be even better! And with filters! And without the giant bug-eye, there should be much less ghosting/flaring. May not need an RF TSE! The 17 schmears pixils when shifted very far at all, so I've been getting better results stitching images, anyway...

OK I'm hyperventilating a little.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
That upcoming 15-35 might do it for me! I'm going to get a loner EF 16-35 to see how close it comes to capturing what my 17 TSE does. If the 16 is good, 15 will be even better! And with filters! And without the giant bug-eye, there should be much less ghosting/flaring. May not need an RF TSE! The 17 schmears pixils when shifted very far at all, so I've been getting better results stitching images, anyway...

OK I'm hyperventilating a little.
The TS-E 17 is incomparable to the 16-35 anything, and the 11-24. You either need tilt and shift or you don’t. If you do you need the TS-E, if you don’t need tilt and shift the various 16-35’s and the 11-24 are all amazing lenses and quantum leaps over previous Canon ultra wide zooms.

Upvote 0
I couldn't wait forever either. I've already bought into the Sony system with the A7 III and Tamron 28-75. It's a really nice setup. And just so you know I'm not some Sony fanboy, I shoot with the Mark IV and have 10 Canon lenses including the 16-35 version #3 and two 24-70 version 2's and the 70-200 version #3 that I just bought in the last year. All of these work great with the Sigma MC-11 adapter.
I have been a Canon user since 1974 shooting their SLR and DSLR's exclusively. I love my Canon equipment but I shoot stills, not video. I think the 5D mkII with it's video capability was an anomaly and will not be repeated with new models. Canon realized that pushing their DSLR line with better video will cut into their Cinema line and they are unwilling to do this. So, if you are waiting for Canon to come out with a highly capable videocentric DSLR your only going to be disappointed.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Canon realized that pushing their DSLR line with better video will cut into their Cinema line and they are unwilling to do this. So, if you are waiting for Canon to come out with a highly capable videocentric DSLR your only going to be disappointed.

This is the meme but it's betrayed by the fact that Canon ships pro features like C-Log and offers 10-bit output at high bitrates. Also: when you watch instructional and review videos by professional cinematographers you quickly realize that A) it's amazing how far ILC cinema features have come, and B) there are still very good reasons for buying real cinema cameras and Hollywood is not abandoning RED, Arri, or Canon and Sony cinema bodies for A73's.

At any rate, Canon has to deal with what the competition is doing. It's much more likely that Canon has a readout speed issue than that they are trying to protect a line that doesn't need protection.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Re: the long debate over frame rates for a 70mp Canon

I would be disappointed if it didn't offer at least 5 fps. Given the way Canon likes to segment their products I would expect 5-6 fps. There's no reason to believe that would be difficult or impossible given the evolution of current DIGIC tech, and I can't see them going backwards vs. the 5Ds/sr bodies.

That said, I personally went from 8 fps down to 5 fps when I moved to the full frame 5Ds. What I discovered is that my actual number of keepers did not go down, just my rate of "not quite the one I'll pick for use" frames. I rely more on myself to anticipate the peak moment than I used to. But I'm honestly thinking that's a good thing. "Spray and pray" is just a card/disk burner.

I've also been more successful at capturing some rather difficult peak moment shots (think fighter crossovers at airshows) simply because I have the confidence to zoom out a bit and crop in post, thereby giving my reaction time an edge.

At any rate, Canon's high resolution R is not their 5D4 or 1DX replacement R, so I don't know why people are so anxious about it. If they are indeed suffering readout speed issues and they've projected that won't be resolved until the 2020 cycle, then a high resolution R makes perfect sense as the next body. Nobody in the market for one will care about "only" 5 fps or limited video. They will simply be looking at the images which can be produced with RF and EF glass on such a high resolution sensor.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Good luck with the continuous autofocus with BM pocket cinema. It has a mind of its own when comes to auto focus!
Manual focus will be fine though.

Didn't even know it could do continuous autofocus. Would not use this for weddings or events anyway.
It's a cinema camera designed primarily for narrative filmmaking. Would only use this with one-time focus or manual focus.

Upvote 0