The next EOS R system camera gets a mention again [CR1]

riker

5D4
Jan 19, 2015
riker.hu
There will always be a market for a 1D level camera at a premium. But frame rate is far from the only reason people buy such bodies.
The framerate is far the most important attribute differentiating 1 series. It's like the resolution for the 5Ds series. A 10-12FPS 5d4 would be a whole lot different camera and I'm absolutely sure a significant amount (10-20%?) of 1Dx users would buy it instead of 1Dx for twice the price.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
The framerate is far the most important attribute differentiating 1 series. It's like the resolution for the 5Ds series. A 10-12FPS 5d4 would be a whole lot different camera and I'm absolutely sure a significant amount (10-20%?) of 1Dx users would buy it instead of 1Dx for twice the price.

If a 1DX III is indeed due out soon then I think it makes sense to concentrate on the high resolution RF body first.

With a 70 megapixel camera they will have a market-leading high-resolution camera. If they went for a higher framerate EOS R body it would be directly compared with the Sony A9, and I'm not convinced that Canon have the ability to produce a body that competes aggressively with the A9 in both features and price (yet). I'd love to be wrong on this.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jhpeterson

CR Pro
Feb 7, 2011
I see the defining difference of the 1D series to be their rugged build and and water-resistant seals. At least to me, it's what sets them above all other Canon models and is the prime reason Nikon and Sony aren't in consideration.
Other factors beside frame rate would be speed and reliability of autofocus performance as well as battery capacity.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
Which do prefer and why? Just curious.
Well, it may just be a factor of only having the R for a five months while I've had the 5D for years, but if I had an important shoot where I had to be absolutely sure nothing would go wrong, I would take the 5D if I could only take one body. That said, if someone stole my 5DIV, I'm not totally sure I'd replace it with another 5DIV. I'd probably ride it out with the R and wait for the next, higher-end R body.
I'm fairly indecisive by nature, so I always take way too much gear with me on shoots, and having the smaller size and weight of the R has made a big difference and it's the main reason I take it with me instead of the 5D. That, and I'm really appreciating the EVF a lot more than I thought I would. I was really put off by the blackout between shots at first, but I love having the exact exposure viewable in near real-time while I'm shooting. No chimping necessary, and my keeper rate is a lot higher now.
So not sure if this answers your question... I love the 5DIV and will continue to use, but the future is the R, and every future upgrade I make in my gear will be R bodies and RF lenses. I really can't imagine buying a new EF lens at this point.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Good luck with the continuous autofocus with BM pocket cinema. It has a mind of its own when comes to auto focus!
Manual focus will be fine though.

Well....I've been shooting video with my 5D3 ever since I bought it when it came out. I've ONLY done manual focus....even when shooting myself by myself. I set up the shots (mostly cooking videos)...I have a large flat bench vice that holds a long metal ruler I got at Lowes, I place it where I'll be standing, set focus manually and then go take the shot, etc.

Works great.

I've read that most pro shoots do manual focus....so, that's what I tried to learn. I can do a pretty good job pulling focus when I'm shooting , like with bands and things, I have even gotten pretty good one handed (camera on monopod) zooming and pulling focus, to keep things in focus as the lens breathes a bit.

So, not problem with that.

Actually, having auto focus to play with for the first time in my life at all, might prove fun, but I trust doing it manually the most.

I've seen videos on YouTube where the damned camera goes in /out of focus and it drives me nuts. I can't believe the people leave it in and don't re-shoot it....hell, do people not know they can do multiple takes?

OH well...lemme get off this soapbox.
:)

cayenne

Upvote 0
This could potentially be the camera that brings over to FF mirrorless / RF mount. While I don't need 70MP, a higher end body than the EOS R is what I'm looking for. IBIS, faster frame rate, better ergonomics, potentially some improvements in AF, dual card slots - these are all features I would welcome.

I will keep looking forward to Canon's camera body and lens offerings in this mount. In the meantime, my DSLRs and EF/EF-S lenses, including some L glass serve me very well.

Have you actually used the current EOS R? The only thing the 5D IV has over it are the dual card slots. Everything else is better on the R, and I love my 5D IV. It’s highly unlikely to have a faster frame rate. For one it will have high MP, so it will be something currently unthinkable. Two, I believe 8 fps is plenty for most things, including bird photography and sports, so they’ll likely differentiate it a bit from the EOS R which is a value, and hold the frames back a bit.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Canon about to turn out a hi-resolution camera, and they get flak since it won't be also a hi-fps and superlative video camera .
Criticism for the sake of criticism.
Landscapers are waiting for such a camera, and have usually no need for hi-fps. The Sony A 7s has 12 MP, and nobody seems to criticize it for not having 70 MP.
Strange, isn't it?
Are Wonderful Sony Fanboys on the loose again? :unsure:

I guess I"m just a little confused....If Canon were doing the mirrorless camera bodies in ascending order of popularity/sales or # of people interested in different types of shooting, I'd have thought that it would next BE something along the 5D4 replacement line....for more pro and prosumer needs (wedding shooters, portraits, etc)....concert shooters, other events...

I would have thought it would have been that crowd that was catered to next before you got to super high MP landscape shooters. I would have guessed they were a smaller group and more niche than the more general prosumer user crowd I listed above.

C

Upvote 0
I guess I"m just a little confused....If Canon were doing the mirrorless camera bodies in ascending order of popularity/sales or # of people interested in different types of shooting, I'd have thought that it would next BE something along the 5D4 replacement line....for more pro and prosumer needs (wedding shooters, portraits, etc)....concert shooters, other events...

I would have thought it would have been that crowd that was catered to next before you got to super high MP landscape shooters. I would have guessed they were a smaller group and more niche than the more general prosumer user crowd I listed above.

C

Besides dual card slots, what does the 5D IV have over the R? Nothing, this coming from a 5D IV owner. People claiming they can’t do pro work with the EOS R are just talking. In studio, etc portrait photogs shoot tethered anyway. Cards really never fail, and if you’re a pro wedding photographer you always switch cards out to have different ones used, and you shoot with two bodies.

Upvote 0
Besides dual card slots, what does the 5D IV have over the R? Nothing, this coming from a 5D IV owner. People claiming they can’t do pro work with the EOS R are just talking. In studio, etc portrait photogs shoot tethered anyway. Cards really never fail, and if you’re a pro wedding photographer you always switch cards out to have different ones used, and you shoot with two bodies.

I shoot wirh my R and 5D, and I use the D much more because you get all the mirrorless goodness, with 5D capability. :)

Upvote 0
I have a feeling that an R body with these specs, coupled with the very fast new R glass is pretty much gonna kill it and all that’s currently available. I really do not need this equipment though. I would like to see more of the second tier f4 L RF lenses coming.

70 mpx camera killing it? I doubt it. I print 24 x 36 often and I never wish I had more mpx. 42mpx is already enough for a lot of professional landscapers and even then I think the appeal is limited.

I owned both. EOS R is better overall camera.

Cards really never fail

Except the time it did, I was glad to have dual card slot. I shoot 2 bodies both with big cards and I rather not deal with card management especially for long weddings. Sure, you can mitigate the risk by swapping cards or Bluetooth backup but it's 2019, I want a camera to make my life more simple not finding workaround especially for hectic wedding.

Canon also think you should or else they wouldn't include dual card slot in 5D IV & 5D III. I think Canon is the first company to introduced 2 card slots in 2004. I have alot of insurance (health, life, car, professional photography insurance) for things that never happen to me, but that's what it's for: hope it never happen to you, but you glad it did. The extra cost for a dual card slot is just the cost of doing business for me.

But hey, it's your business. You run it however you want it to run including the risk you are willing to tolerate.

A lot of photographers nowadays shoot portraits on locations where we don't always have tethering option. That's why strobes with battery are so popular for on location and off camera lighting. Since we aren't limited by technology, it opens up more shooting opportunity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
70 mpx camera killing it? I doubt it. I print 24 x 36 often and I never wish I had more mpx. 42mpx is already enough for a lot of professional landscapers and even then I think the appeal is limited.

I owned both. EOS R is better overall camera.

Except the time it did, I was glad to have dual card slot. I shoot 2 bodies both with big cards and I rather not deal with card management especially for long weddings. Sure, you can mitigate the risk by swapping cards or Bluetooth backup but it's 2019, I want a camera to make my life more simple not finding workaround especially for hectic wedding.

Canon also think you should or else they wouldn't include dual card slot in 5D IV & 5D III. I think Canon is the first company to introduced 2 card slots in 2004. I have alot of insurance (health, life, car, professional photography insurance) for things that never happen to me, but that's what it's for: hope it never happen to you, but you glad it did. The extra cost for a dual card slot is just the cost of doing business for me.

But hey, it's your business. You run it however you want it to run including the risk you are willing to tolerate.

A lot of photographers nowadays shoot portraits on locations where we don't always have tethering option. That's why strobes with battery are so popular for on location and off camera lighting. Since we aren't limited by technology, it opens up more shooting opportunity.

If you’re an actual professional photographer shooting portraits, you’re almost always tethering for maximum control over the final product. We’ve all heard the arguments that for years pro photographers only had one roll of film per shoot. Same applies here, if you fear of a card failure, and you don’t tether, shoot multiple cards. I always tether on shoots because the memory is so much larger, and I don’t have to worry. Additionally, if you’re working with a team, which most pros do, they need to also see the output on a larger screen so they can spot things you as the photographer may not see.

If you’re willing to pay extra for a card slot, then so be it, but the lack of one doesn’t not make it a consumer/prosumer level camera. Seriously, there’s nothing I can’t do with the R that I can do with the mkiv. However, there are multiple things I can do on the R that you can’t do on the 5D.

I’d mostly be interested in a body without an AA filter for those circumstances where I don’t need to deal with repeating patterns or fabrics. The 30mp in the R and 5D IV are already plenty.

Upvote 0
If you’re an actual professional photographer shooting portraits, you’re almost always tethering for maximum control over the final product. We’ve all heard the arguments that for years pro photographers only had one roll of film per shoot. Same applies here, if you fear of a card failure, and you don’t tether, shoot multiple cards. I always tether on shoots because the memory is so much larger, and I don’t have to worry. Additionally, if you’re working with a team, which most pros do, they need to also see the output on a larger screen so they can spot things you as the photographer may not see.

If you’re willing to pay extra for a card slot, then so be it, but the lack of one doesn’t not make it a consumer/prosumer level camera. Seriously, there’s nothing I can’t do with the R that I can do with the mkiv. However, there are multiple things I can do on the R that you can’t do on the 5D.

I’d mostly be interested in a body without an AA filter for those circumstances where I don’t need to deal with repeating patterns or fabrics. The 30mp in the R and 5D IV are already plenty.

How do people do it on locations (beach, flower field, city, etc)? Do they tether too? I guess a lot of photographers shooting portraits with strobes on locations aren't professionals.

Back then people are shooting film had no choice just like car didn't have seat belt. When there are new ways of doing things, I adapt to it.

It's funny that you dismiss dual card slot is a must for professional work but professional photographers shooting portraits "always tethering".

I never said it's consumer/prosumer camera. I completely agree about EOS R over 5DIV. Don't looking to get into an argument when there is none.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How do people do it on locations (beach, flower field, city, etc)? Do they tether too? I guess a lot of photographers shooting portraits with strobes on locations aren't professionals.

Back then people are shooting film had no choice just like car didn't have seat belt. When there are new ways of doing things, I adapt to it.

It's funny that you dismiss dual card slot is a must for professional work but professional photographers shooting portraits "always tethering".

I never said it's consumer/prosumer camera. I completely agree about EOS R over 5DIV. Don't looking to get into an argument when there is none.

Yes, I almost always tether, it’s so much easier to see what you’re getting. I either put my laptop on a terher tools stand, or on my bag. It’s super simple, and again, if I absolutely cannot tether, which I can’t think of the last time it happened, I simply backup my cards after each look. I would never let the fact that a camera having one card slot prevent me from buying it in this day and age. Canon simply did it as the last stand to protect the 5D, but it’s simply not enough. Thing about it. The very best video cameras on the market only have one card slot as well, all of the pro versions: Reds, Arris, etc, etc.

The good thing Canon did do is use an SD as the single card, unlike Nikon where not only do you need to upgrade your system, you need to buy all new memory cards that are more expensive. Now that is a bit of a headache if you’re a Nikon shooter.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Umm... moving the focus point via the lcd screen is so much faster than a lever. Of course if you like a joystick it’s cool. It’s just a much slower method.
I know what you mean ,except for your "Umm" since it is a choice and/or preference. I truly enjoyed using the touchscreen on my M5, however on a larger body I would prefer a tactile control on the right side. Does everything need to be faster? No is the answer.

Upvote 0
I still think that dual card slots would be great, but maybe not having a CF card slot. I think we don't need that as the extra slot anymore...

Certainly I'll have no choice other than whatever slots Canon finally offers. But I tend to like the size of the CF cards better for handling, plus the contacts not being as exposed and fragile as the SD cards.

I saw a handy SD case review a guy posted on Youtube. He inserts his SD cards opposite the packaging picture so he's not pulling the card by the thin contact end. He removes from the thicker end. It was similar to a small hard Pelican case. use the small folding pocket pouch.

Upvote 0