The future of the Canon EOS-1D X series [CR1]

Hmmmm.... was the helicopter in the shop?

Nope! No Helicopter at the time. But it was an on-ground assignment and old Sony BV-series SP/DigiBeta cameras are DAMN HEAVY and at the time used NiCad which accounted for most of the weight. And sand doesn't take human footsteps well which exhausts you after a while AND it's HOT in the desert! 35+ C! -- The amount of water you have to carry is astounding but even 75+ LBS (30+ KG) is quite doable for 20 miles (30 km) by larger fitter males (i'm 6'1" and 250 lbs). Many of my companions carried over 120 lbs of gear for that same distance! Humans are POWERFUL creatures well adapted for long distance on-ground travel and CAN EASILY take a lot of punishment if well-trained.

P.S. The Bell 429 is gonna be SWEEEEET once it's all prettied up inside!

Upvote 0
In all the time you have been posting your crazy claims NOTHING has ever come to fruition. Your trolling ceased to be amusing at least a year ago. It's time for you to get some professional help.

--

Actually, I was right about the Canon C700 Cinema Camera which I outlined and brought to CanonRumors attention by highlighting the European-sourced documents I got off of Northlight Images UK website a few years ago! That's ONE thing I got right!

This next prediction is a little different... due to certain aspects I have VERY SPECIFIC knowledge of...

---

P.S. I don't NEED no professional help! I got my Sambucca and Asbach Uralt brandy to medicate my writings! THEY are my Prozac! Be grateful! I'm entertaining the masses with my literary "Panem et Circenses"! It helps pay CanonRumors BILLS!

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
I, for one, will use the crap out of a tilt screen almost exclusively for stills.

I'm sure it is useful, particularly for macro. I just don't think it will feature on a 1D. Canon don't put anything technically risky on those bodies, for good reason. They remain very conservative. Look how long it took them to make a hole in the chassis for a GPS antenna!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
--

Actually, I was right about the Canon C700 Cinema Camera which I outlined and brought to CanonRumors attention by highlighting the European-sourced documents I got off of Northlight Images UK website a few years ago! That's ONE thing I got right!

This next prediction is a little different... due to certain aspects I have VERY SPECIFIC knowledge of...

---

P.S. I don't NEED no professional help! I got my Sambucca and Asbach Uralt brandy to medicate my writings! THEY are my Prozac! Be grateful! I'm entertaining the masses with my literary "Panem et Circenses"! It helps pay CanonRumors BILLS!
Somebody drinking such a cheap and disgusting Cognac imitation like Asbach Uralt :sick: urgently needs professional help!
This stuff is usually drunk in Germany by drop-outs, age over 80....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2012
More MP's - say 28/30
Dual CFast cards
Increased coverage of AF points, otherwise the AF is fine for me except when using the Sigma 500 f4 which has serious focus shift
Built-in wifi and GPS
Better high ISO performance
No more fps, it takes me forever now to edit the 2,000-3,000 shots I take at a typical game.
The weight doesn't worry me until I put the 500 on.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Well John, I'm glad it doesn't leave your hand aching. But not all of us that do use the 1dx are so fortunate. I have a used one of those wrist straps, but not sure how much it helped.
Not sure we’re talking about the same thing, wrist strap ≠ hand strap.

A wrist strap is a longer, thin loop of material that attaches to the camera at a single point, such that if you let the camera go it dangles from your wrist. They work ok for my kids’ S95/S100 point and shoot cameras (I got them the same kind as are on their WiiU controllers, that cinch to their wrists and lock down). I have a neoprene one for my M6/R, I don’t let the camera dangle (that would be uncomfortable) but it serves as a fail safe in case the camera slips out of my hand, because I don’t use a neck strap.

A hand strap is a short, wide leather strap that attaches to the camera at two points, leaving just enough room for your hand to slide in between the strap and the camera. It provides extra support both with the camera in use and when held at your side.

Canon-Hand-Strap-E1.jpg

If you haven’t tried one, you should!

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
My quote simply means that an 8K (8192 x 6144 pixel) combined video/stills GLOBAL SHUTTER MEDIUM FORMAT SENSOR camera is coming out so very soon now!

This NEW high end ruggedized PRO-series with user-defineable 1.89:1/16:9/4:3 aspect ratio of 60 fps DCI 8K (8192 x 4320 pixel) at up-to-16 bits per channel (64-bit colour!) 4:4:4:4 TRUE RGBA/YCbCrA RAW/2:1 RAW/3:1 RAW/4:1 RAW ... or ... up-to-16 bits per channel 4:4:4/4:2:2 Interframe compressed H.265 and/or MP4/H.264 at up to 120 fps DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) ...OR ... 480 fps DCI 2K (2048 x 1080 pixel) video at 16 bit 4:4:4 full-sensor-size sampled, and centre-cropped 960 fps 16 bits 4:4:4 super-slow-motion video ... PLUS .... a FULL 50.3 Megapixel RAW uncompressed and JPEG-2000 wavelet-compressed 4:4:4/4:2:2 still photos with user-selectable up to 60 fps Burst speed in a five second super-fast-buffer camera with a super-high quality series of large format f/1.2 to f/2 prime lenses and f/2.4 zooms coming right out of the gate at product introduction! These are much larger MF sensors so light sensitivity and LOW noise levels is outstanding!

THEN IN ADDITION ... a series of 5.5 and 6.5 inch smartphones for the FIRST TIME, one with a 50+ megapixel Global Shutter 2/3rds inch AND a version with a 50+ megapixel One Inch sensor are being introduced at the SAME time as the big pro-cameras. These smartphones have 60 fps interframe 10 bit 4:2:2 compressed DCI 8K (8192 4320) and 120 fps DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) video and 50.3 megapixel 4:4:4 RAW and Compressed 4:4:4/4:2:2 JPEG-2000 stills.
These will have quite excellent light sensitivity compared to many smartphones!

---

I may SOUND crazy, but I got inner information access you simply don't have AND i'm being ALLOWED to post here by management and THAT is definitely NOT A NORMAL THING for this company to do !!!!!!!!!

Get Read Canon ... The FUTURE IS COMING NOW !!!!

All that from one company and that company is not Canon: a MF camera, a full stable of f1.2 and f2 lenses and cameraphones? And only you have heard about it?

Hmmmm.....

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013

A wrist strap is a longer, thin loop of material that attaches to the camera at a single point, such that if you let the camera go it dangles from your wrist. They work ok for my kids’ S95/S100 point and shoot cameras (I got them the same kind as are on their WiiU controllers, that cinch to their wrists and lock down). I have a neoprene one for my M6/R, I don’t let the camera dangle (that would be uncomfortable) but it serves as a fail safe in case the camera slips out of my hand, because I don’t use a neck strap.

A hand strap is a short, wide leather strap that attaches to the camera at two points, leaving just enough room for your hand to slide in between the strap and the camera. It provides extra support both with the camera in use and when held at your side.

Canon-Hand-Strap-E1.jpg

This is the one I use on all my bodies, Custom SLR. I have used the Canon brand John describes but this is far more comfortable imho. Same design. I don't have the 1D series but with a 5D3, L plate and 20-700 or 100-400L I can hold it many hours, no problem.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 6.18.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 6.18.20 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 159
Upvote 0

Canon-Hand-Strap-E1.jpg

Ahh.. The trusty Canon E1.. I'm a huge fan of this exact strap. I still have the exact same strap today which I use on my gripped Sony bodies. I've had it for 10+ years and still use it. I find it reduces wrist/finger fatigue by at least 50%-60% or more. When I'm shooting heavy 2.8 zooms, I can just let the camera and lens rest by my side and my fingers don't have to actually grip the body. This also frees up the tripod mount so I can still use my holdfast or blackrapid dual carry systems. I don't think they even sell this anymore. Most of the ones they sell today place their second mounting point against the tripod mount which is not what you want.

I guess the only trade-off is your index finger has reduced mobility operating the front wheel and top plate controls. You can loosen the strap, but it also loses some of its utility in reducing wrist/finger fatigue if you do. Highly recommended if you can find them..

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Ahh.. The trusty Canon E1.. I'm a huge fan of this exact strap. I still have the exact same strap today which I use on my gripped Sony bodies. I've had it for 10+ years and still use it. I find it reduces wrist/finger fatigue by at least 50%-60% or more. When I'm shooting heavy 2.8 zooms, I can just let the camera and lens rest by my side and my fingers don't have to actually grip the body. This also frees up the tripod mount so I can still use my holdfast or blackrapid dual carry systems. I don't think they even sell this anymore. Most of the ones they sell today place their second mounting point against the tripod mount which is not what you want.

I guess the only trade-off is your index finger has reduced mobility operating the front wheel and top plate controls. You can loosen the strap, but it also loses some of its utility in reducing wrist/finger fatigue if you do. Highly recommended if you can find them..
See my reply to this concerning availability. (Plus I think they're much nicer)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Not sure how this became a wrist strap thread, but I will play.

I like wrist straps, but they aren't so great when you are carrying two bodies. :) I tried switching back and forth using the OP/TECH system, which is okay, but still a bit of a hassle. Ultimately, I decided to just stick with a neck strap even though it is a pain (literally in the neck). If I ever retire and don't need to carry two bodies around, I will certainly consider this strap.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I personally use a wrist strap combined with a BR Cross Shot together 90% of the time. The wrist strap is always there, whether I need it or not. I can't imagine taking it off to use a sling or neck strap. Another reason to love the Magpul QD system. I used Neuro's style of the swivel and 1" Arca clamp but found it too bulky, the QD attachment is svelte.183486

• Love
Upvote 0

jhpeterson

CR Pro
Feb 7, 2011

Canon-Hand-Strap-E1.jpg

I have these on two of my 1D series bodies. They're ideal for both "grab and go" situations as well as paired with another camera on a neckstrap. It's not uncommon for me to spend much of a day using a 70-200/2.8 paired with a 1DX.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Nope! No Helicopter at the time. But it was an on-ground assignment and old Sony BV-series SP/DigiBeta cameras are DAMN HEAVY and at the time used NiCad which accounted for most of the weight. And sand doesn't take human footsteps well which exhausts you after a while AND it's HOT in the desert! 35+ C! -- The amount of water you have to carry is astounding but even 75+ LBS (30+ KG) is quite doable for 20 miles (30 km) by larger fitter males (i'm 6'1" and 250 lbs). Many of my companions carried over 120 lbs of gear for that same distance! Humans are POWERFUL creatures well adapted for long distance on-ground travel and CAN EASILY take a lot of punishment if well-trained.

P.S. The Bell 429 is gonna be SWEEEEET once it's all prettied up inside!
Surely you rented a Camel.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Batting one out of a thousand does not make you a MVP.

Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
If I were to switch from my 1Dx2 to a future EOS 1Rx, I would want my workhorse lenses to be available in the native EOS R mount. This would include the 70-200 f2.8L IS and the 24-70 f2.8L. There appears to be an EOS R 24-70 f2.8 IS in the works, so we are half way there.

Once I was convinced that the EOS EF adapter didn't hurt performance with the bigger white lenses, I'd be okay with using them on an EOS 1Rx. I may even be okay with buying high-end EOS EF lenses for use on an EOS 1Rx body.

But, when Canon introduces an EOS 1Rx body along with an EOS R 70-200 and an EOS R 24-70 lenses, the market for EF versions of these lenses will fall.

My guess is that marketing, sales of existing stocked lenses, and tooling for EOS R offerings are driving the new 5D and 1Dx offerings more than technology. I suspect the EOS 1Rx technology is almost ready for prime time, but a 5d-V and a 1Dx-III will help drive sales of existing EOS EF lenses.

Plus, pros need to be able to rely on their camera bodies without hesitation. The 5D and the 1Dx are battle-proven. Previously, I predicted that the 5D2 and 1Dx2 were the end of line, but it makes sense to me that new versions will help keep the pros competitive with Nikon and Sony while maintaining confidence in their gear. The EOS R bodies will need some time to earn their stripes on the battlefield.

The sad note is that the likelihood of a new EF 50's and an EF 24-70 f2.8L IS is dwindling rapidly -- or maybe gone altogether.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I personally use a wrist strap combined with a BR Cross Shot together 90% of the time. The wrist strap is always there, whether I need it or not. I can't imagine taking it off to use a sling or neck strap. Another reason to love the Magpul QD system. I used Neuro's style of the swivel and 1" Arca clamp but found it too bulky, the QD attachment is svelte.View attachment 183486
Ahhhhh.... Magpul. My favorite gear maker. Have lots of it.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Batting one out of a thousand does not make you a MVP.
One out of a thousand is generous. The "one" that Harry is talking credit for was actually by a designated hitter (Northlight) and all he did was re-post it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0