Patent: Canon EF 10mm f/2.8L USM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A patent application showing the optical formula for an EF 10mm f/2.8 prime lens has been filed in Japan.
Japan Patent Application 2018-233223:

Focal length: 10.30mm
F number: 2.88
The half angle of view: 64.54°
Image height: 21.64mm
Lens length: 124.58mm
Back focus: 38.00mm

It looks like this patent may have been a part of the EF 11-24mm f/4L USM development.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
This would be a focal length where the RF mount would shine - I hope Canon does come up with something ultra-short, but in a design that takes advantage of the short flange distance of the R series.
But it also goes to reinforce the fact that Canon are still progressing with ef lenses....it's not an Rf revolution....but the two formats living alongside each other. I think i would prefer a 10mm f2.8 prime than a 11-24mm f4 zoom. Especially if it was substantially smaller and lighter.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
But it also goes to reinforce the fact that Canon are still progressing with ef lenses....it's not an Rf revolution....but the two formats living alongside each other. I think i would prefer a 10mm f2.8 prime than a 11-24mm f4 zoom. Especially if it was substantially smaller and lighter.
If anything, the front lens looks even a bit bigger on this one, probably not too different in terms of size or weight, it lets in twice as much as light after all with an even wider field-of-view. With the possibility of using a big rear element and bending light rays differently, a substantial reduction in size can be achieved with the RF mount.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
But it also goes to reinforce the fact that Canon are still progressing with ef lenses.

I doubt we'll ever see this lens. When Canon decides to make a lens, we sometimes see the lens before the patent, not three years after.

My guess is Canon looked at the sales of the Voighlander 10mm for Sony E mount, and possibly the EF 11-24mm, decided there's no profit in a 10mm prime, and left it on the shelf.

Upvote 0
I doubt we'll ever see this lens. When Canon decides to make a lens, we sometimes see the lens before the patent, not three years after.
You really don't under stand what a patent is do you....patents always come first. Production never comes before a patent.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
If anything, the front lens looks even a bit bigger on this one, probably not too different in terms of size or weight, it lets in twice as much as light after all with an even wider field-of-view. With the possibility of using a big rear element and bending light rays differently, a substantial reduction in size can be achieved with the RF mount.
Here comes the usual Rf mantra and regurgitation of recently learned information....done a lot of lens design have you? This patent is for an EF lens not an Rf lens. It is an indication that Canon are sill designing and applying for patents for their EF lens designs. It means that they are still applying R&D budget to the EF format. If Canon feels that they have developed something new...they will protect their "device" by applying for a patent.

Upvote 0
It looks like this patent may have been a part of the EF 11-24mm f/4L USM development.

It's more than that, it is the patent of the optical formula of the EF 11-24mm f/4L USM.

Example 1 of the patent:

Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM:

You really don't under stand what a patent is do you....patents always come first. Production never comes before a patent.

Ahem!... See above.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
You really don’t understand how a patent works, do you? A patent will be filed before a product is launched, but the patent doesn’t publish until 18 months after it is filed.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Here comes the usual Rf mantra and regurgitation of recently learned information....done a lot of lens design have you? This patent is for an EF lens not an Rf lens. It is an indication that Canon are sill designing and applying for patents for their EF lens designs. It means that they are still applying R&D budget to the EF format. If Canon feels that they have developed something new...they will protect their "device" by applying for a patent.
You've made a rubbish remark about wishing it was be smaller and lighter without looking at what it actually is, I responded that if that is what you wish, it probably makes more sense for them to shrink it for the RF mount since it has its advantages, but whatever, I am sure they will make it just for you ;)

Upvote 0