The future of the Canon EOS-1D X series [CR1]

Jan 29, 2011
I get what you are saying, but you are generalizing, we are not all overweight or weak. ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) requires elevators in apartment buildings and there are quite a few houses (millions) with stairs that fit people run up and down. Here in California we like single story homes that open to the yard. We all could work more on our diet and be nicer to one another concerning cameras and politics. Harrys an ass.
The obesity rate in the USA, not just over weight but clinically obese (BMI >30), is nearing 40%. CDC figures put the average adult nearly 30lbs heavier than they were in the ‘50’s.

By numbers the USA has far and away the largest number of obese and overweight people in the world. Of course my comment was a generalization, it’s almost impossible to make any comment that isn’t, but the numbers do support that generalization. Having said that there are a lot of fit, healthy and active people in the USA, there needs to be, they are going to be the ones supporting the next generation of people with obesity related health issues, the general population might have turned away from smoking but unfortunately they were weaned onto highly processed foods cooked unhealthily.

I agree with your final comment too. ;)(y)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
The obesity rate in the USA, not just over weight but clinically obese (BMI >30), is nearing 40%. CDC figures put the average adult nearly 30lbs heavier than they were in the ‘50’s.

By numbers the USA has far and away the largest number of obese and overweight people in the world. Of course my comment was a generalization, it’s almost impossible to make any comment that isn’t, but the numbers do support that generalization. Having said that there are a lot of fit, healthy and active people in the USA, there needs to be, they are going to be the ones supporting the next generation of people with obesity related health issues, the general population might have turned away from smoking but unfortunately they were weaned onto highly processed foods cooked unhealthily.

I agree with your final comment too. ;)(y)
BMI is a terrible scale. It is a square scale while the relationship of weight to height is a cubic function. Therefore, tall people have an artificially high BMI and short people have it artificially low. It also does not differentiate between fat and muscle so if you take two people of the same height and weight, where one is heavily muscled and the other has rolls of fat, they will get the same result. For me personally, my ideal weight is 105 kilos (ribs are showing) yet I would have a BMI of 30.4, which qualifies as obese, yet I can take a full lung of air and quickly sink to the bottom of a pool.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
BMI is a terrible scale. It is a square scale while the relationship of weight to height is a cubic function. Therefore, tall people have an artificially high BMI and short people have it artificially low. It also does not differentiate between fat and muscle so if you take two people of the same height and weight, where one is heavily muscled and the other has rolls of fat, they will get the same result. For me personally, my ideal weight is 105 kilos (ribs are showing) yet I would have a BMI of 30.4, which qualifies as obese, yet I can take a full lung of air and quickly sink to the bottom of a pool.
Whilst I don’t disagree that the BMI figure is a weird and flawed calculation if you don’t want to go by that then simply open your eyes in pretty much any location anywhere in the USA!

Again, my comment was a generalization not an all encompassing declaration. I’d also point out, being a very experience SCUBA diver, any 230lb person who can take a breath of air and sink is very much an outlier, the average 230lb diver would need around 15-20 of lead to become neutrally buoyant.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Again, my comment was a generalization not an all encompassing declaration. I’d also point out, being a very experience SCUBA diver, any 230lb person who can take a breath of air and sink is very much an outlier, the average 230lb diver would need around 15-20 of lead to become neutrally buoyant.
But isn't that with a wet suit?

(Not being positively buoyant with a full lung of air is strange anyway)

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
This is a specific market and they will sell similar numbers. 1DX owners don’t see a price, they see profit. It’s a necessary expense, not an investment or luxury item. If my year continues they way it has been, I’ll be upgrading when it lands without thought.
I agree, it's a pro tool, and the pros I know have other criteria than writing pro or con mirror slapper posts. Check Steve Huff: the "ML guy" returned to use an EOS 1-DX II for mainly video, because Sony cameras ruined too many of his shootings by sensor heating. Such a pro body from Canon or Nikon is designed to deliver, wherever you shoot (except underwater). Amateurs can follow ideologies (or call it better pseudo-religions), but pros have to get results.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Harry is an oversize tick, feeding himself on forum blood!
In fact, the question is from which place Harry is posting. Maybe they allow him to do that as a therapy and to keep him occupied so he doesn't make trouble. So we all are in the happy position to help him a bit ;)
Somebody drinking such a cheap and disgusting Cognac imitation like Asbach Uralt :sick: urgently needs professional help!
This stuff is usually drunk in Germany by drop-outs, age over 80....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I didn't know that Asbach Uralt is still produced! Wow, so Harry feeds himself on the liquid mirror slappers of cheap brandys - that's really mind slapping o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
In fact, the question is from which place Harry is posting. Maybe they allow him to do that as a therapy and to keep him occupied so he doesn. So we all are in the happy position to help him a bit ;)

I didn't know that Asbach Uralt is still produced! Wow, so Harry feeds himself on the liquid mirror slappers of cheap brandys - that's really mind slapping o_O
According to Scientific American extreme consumption of Asbach Uralt induces verbal diarrhea and loss of common sense.
PS: Asbach Uralt is produced exclusively for one anonymous customer living in Canada who is ordering huge quantities...:sick:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
A "click" is UNIVERSALLY equal ONE MILE = 1600 metres here in North America!

ONE MILE !!! = One Click!

While I live in Canada where the Metric System is predominant, I'm trained in Imperial measures, ergo, ONE MILE = ONE CLICK!

A click or klick is one kilometer. This is a simple fact that is easily verifiable.

This calls into question your other pronouncements.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011

BMI is not only a terrible scale, it’s deceptive and misleading in its connotations and should be outlawed as any type of metric used in health and insurance assessments. Even when I was in great shape back in high school working out and doing cardio five days a week with my body fat at 7%(ribs/obliques easily visible), I was overweight by the BMI scale. I am around professional and college athletes all of the time and most of them would be considered at least overweight and a lot(maybe most)obese by the BMI scale. And we’re talking elite athletes with low to very low body fat, but they are very muscular.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
BMI is not only a terrible scale, it’s deceptive and misleading in its connotations and should be outlawed as any type of metric used in health and insurance assessments. Even when I was in great shape back in high school working out and doing cardio five days a week with my body fat at 7%(ribs/obliques easily visible), I was overweight by the BMI scale. I am around professional and college athletes all of the time and most of them would be considered at least overweight and a lot(maybe most)obese by the BMI scale. And we’re talking elite athletes with low to very low body fat, but they are very muscular.
Whilst I am not defending BMI as a metric, I have already agreed it is a poor one, the truth is when you hang out in a group of outliers, sports teams, athletic clubs, gyms etc, that doesn't mean those groups aren't still outliers and are relatively uncommon when compared to the general population.

I know half a dozen people with 1DX MkII's yet owning a 1DX MkII is relatively uncommon, the fact that I know so many doesn't make owning a 1DX MkII more common it makes my personal experience more unusual.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Whilst I am not defending BMI as a metric, I have already agreed it is a poor one, the truth is when you hang out in a group of outliers, sports teams, athletic clubs, gyms etc, that doesn't mean those groups aren't still outliers and are relatively uncommon when compared to the general population.

I know half a dozen people with 1DX MkII's yet owning a 1DX MkII is relatively uncommon, the fact that I know so many doesn't make owning a 1DX MkII more common it makes my personal experience more unusual.
Yes, we are all in agreement that there are outliers, but the root of the problem is that they are using a square function scale to map to cubic function relationship.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Upvote 0