RP going back, unopened

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Am I the only person who actually LIKES the RP? :D
I just got mine today. I wear glasses, and am finding the viewfinder fine - Same as my 5D4 for viewing - Maybe slightly better than the 5D4, I need to 'move my head' around a little less to see everything. I'd expect them to be almost identical, 5d4 is (I think), .71 vs .70 magnification on the R.

Of course it's not as good as an OVF, but certainly better than the M5 and x-e3 I'd been using before as the 'small travel' kit. It's better than I'd been expecting, and when comparing in the store, I didn't even notice a difference between the R and RP. (Maybe because I didn't think to look for one, and wasn't in an environment that I'm more likely to notice the resolution improvement)

If you're wondering why I chose RP over R, 3 main reasons:
  1. I have a 5D4, the R didn't really give enough reason to use it instead.
  2. RP is just that bit smaller and lighter, when you're using the RF 35 (once you put on the bigger lenses, that size advantage disappears of course)
  3. A LOT cheaper - Means I could get the RP + RF 24-105 for the same price as the R body. Glass is forever. A first gen body is going to be replaced in two years by a RP2 that is even cheaper, with the specs of the R. And I'm really waiting for a full 5D4 replacement before spending serious $$
After playing a little, I'm starting to suspect that I'm going to be picking up the RP+ RF35 a lot more often than I'm reaching for the 5D4 + 35L, or the fuji x-e3 + 35

It's just struck that right balance (for me :) ), and I'm liking it a lot from first impressions, despite the limitations. The next few weeks will tell me more.

(edit: corrected EVF to OVF)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
RP seems work good here . On indoors it seems bit strain eyes, i guess cause so bright when exposed right.
I dont think extra sharpness would bring any extra benefit . It isnt as sharp as optical viewfinder but i see good when its focused.
you never tried another RP maybe there was something wrong on it ?
but yeah my eye glasses arent so thick. cant imagine problems peoples with really thick ones get.
viewfinder gets little lag when shooting ,but doesnt all mirrorless get?
I really like RP too .nothing bad to say so far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I just got mine today. I wear glasses, and am finding the viewfinder fine - Same as my 5D4 for viewing - Maybe slightly better than the 5D4, I need to 'move my head' around a little less to see everything. I'd expect them to be almost identical, 5d4 is (I think), .71 vs .70 magnification on the R.

Of course it's not as good as an OVF, but certainly better than the M5 and x-e3 I'd been using before as the 'small travel' kit. It's better than I'd been expecting, and when comparing in the store, I didn't even notice a difference between the R and RP. (Maybe because I didn't think to look for one, and wasn't in an environment that I'm more likely to notice the resolution improvement)

2. RP is just that bit smaller and lighter, when you're using the RF 35 (once you put on the bigger lenses, that size advantage disappears of course)
  3. A LOT cheaper - Means I could get the RP + RF 24-105 for the same price as the R body. Glass is forever. A first gen body is going to be replaced in two years by a RP2 that is even cheaper, with the specs of the R. And I'm really waiting for a full 5D4 replacement before spending serious $$
After playing a little, I'm starting to suspect that I'm going to be picking up the RP+ RF35 a lot more often than I'm reaching for the 5D4 + 35L, or the fuji x-e3 + 35

It's just struck that right balance (for me :) ), and I'm liking it a lot from first impressions, despite the limitations. The next few weeks will tell me more.

I rented the RP + RF24-105 + RF50 this week through the 'Test a lens' thing Canon has going in the Netherland, no rental fees, only a 10% deposit. My biggest complaint so far is that with heavy lenses like the RF50 the bottom of the grip creates a hotspot on my hand just below my ring finger. The EG-E1 grip should arrive tomorrow, I'm hoping that helps since I don't have other issues with the RP.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
My biggest complaint so far is that with heavy lenses like the RF50 the bottom of the grip creates a hotspot on my hand just below my ring finger. The EG-E1 grip should arrive tomorrow, I'm hoping that helps since I don't have other issues with the RP.

I hear you on this, I had the same problem after holding with the 24-105 for a while. Grip helps a lot, though cancels some of the size advantages. At least Canon are providing it for free at the moment, and they recognise at launch that it can be a problem, and made it a personal choice for us. Compactness for the small lenses, and more comfort when welding bigger lenses when the size advantage no longer exists.

I think Canon is bloody brilliant :)

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011

Thanks for the perspective from a fellow 5D4 owner...

I have not seen the RP in person but I have played with the original R. Still think the price is a little high for what it offers, but the RP seems more reasonably priced in comparison. I just wish there were enough smaller RF lenses - the 35 is nice but would be nice to have a 50 or 85 to go with it, and perhaps a compact 24-70 zoom? The size advantage vanishes once you have to mount these monsters of lenses onto it...

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Thanks for the perspective from a fellow 5D4 owner...

I have not seen the RP in person but I have played with the original R. Still think the price is a little high for what it offers, but the RP seems more reasonably priced in comparison. I just wish there were enough smaller RF lenses - the 35 is nice but would be nice to have a 50 or 85 to go with it, and perhaps a compact 24-70 zoom? The size advantage vanishes once you have to mount these monsters of lenses onto it...

Pretty much it exactly. With the compact 35, it's a light walk around/street combo. I also bought the RF 24-104, and it's a LOT bulkier - But still, that RP + 24-105 manages to be noticeably more compact than the 5D4 + EF 24-105 version. It's manages to shave off enough weight that my small backpack that would fit the the 5D4 and one lens can now fit the RP + RF 24-105 and one other small lens.

If I'm doing more serious trip where I'd want to take a wide angle, a telephoto, the EF 35L (and maybe a normal zoom) - well, at that point I may as well just bring the 5D4. (or a R, I guess)

For a casual weekend away, or walk the streets, it's compelling, especially given the price and size. You might find that one of the 'missing features' is critical to you, but for that stuff, I still have my 5D4. I guess another way to put it is: Will I now sell my 5D4? Definitely not. But will I pick up the 5D4 and fuji x-e3 a lot less? Yeap. And I'm now very curious about what a RP v2 will bring.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
................. despite the limitations. The next few weeks will tell me more.

I'm another 5DIV + RP person. Perspective: my "backup" or secondary body had been an M5. That was a good camera and was smaller but it, of necessity, needed EF-M lenses or and adapter to use EF (which also eliminated any size advantage). The sensor on the RP is, IMHO; better than the M; the noise is less than the M; the controls are more like my DSLR than was the M; the EVF (at least for me) is better than the M. What I give up is the size is larger than the M. Yes, the RF 24-105 is bigger but since this is not my primary camera at this point, I am enjoying the RP and its output much more than the M5. I can bring it as a secondary body with my stable of EF lenses or can use it as the only camera body I bring for many things. I'm thinking that the RF 24-105 + EF 16-35 + EF 70-200L f/4 IS and an EF-RF adapter makes a pretty good kit with the RP.

Who knows, maybe some day, I'll move entirely from the DSLR to a mirrorless setup. I am just not there yet.

Upvote 0