No new EOS R body shipping in 2019 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
There have been mentions of a new EOS R body coming in Q4 of 2019 or Q1 of 2020. The new body has been rumored to be the high megapixel body, and not an EOS-1D X style mirrorless camera.
We’re now being told that no new EOS R body will begin shipping in 2019, and it will fall into early 2020. There is still an off chance that an announcement could come in late 2019, but we think Canon will hold off until the CP+ show next February.
I don’t think this should come as much of a surprise, as Canon needs to get those 6 new RF lenses to market before another EOS R series body hits the marketplace.
Once the new lenses begin shipping, it’s likely there will be another boost in sales for the EOS R and EOS RP bodies.
The same source said that a “higher-end” DSLR will be coming in...

Continue reading...

Dec 8, 2014
How come this can be interpreted has...."normal" or without surprise? Canon is 3 years behind! They have answered to a change in the market in a terrible slower way! In the same way How come the lenses can serve as an excuse?? No way!! RF adapters and the existing lenses can give Canon the confidence to launch a Pro body! If they don´t launch it is because they don´t have it!
I don´t believe i am saying this.....but i see the good bye Canon, closer and closer....

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
How come this can be interpreted has...."normal" or without surprise? Canon is 3 years behind! They have answered to a change in the market in a terrible slower way! In the same way How come the lenses can serve as an excuse?? No way!! RF adapters and the existing lenses can give Canon the confidence to launch a Pro body! If they don´t launch it is because they don´t have it!
I don´t believe i am saying this.....but i see the good bye Canon, closer and closer....

I'm honestly tired of this narrative. The EOS R and EOS RP are both selling exceptionally well considering there are only 4 native RF mount lenses currently available. Yes, Canon is behind in the segment, but within 2-3 years, they're going to have a full EOS R/RF system. They'll also be #1 in the segment by then as well.

The EOS R system has existed for 198 days and there are already 10 lenses and two bodies announced. They are well ahead of where Sony was when they launched the A7 series 1983 days ago and they're already way out front of Nikon as far as lenses go and sales.

• Love
Reactions: 34 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Now the question is, do you buy the R or RP to hold you over until then?
Absolutely NOT. There are too many options available. Doesn't make sense for Canon to bypass wedding season for 2020 and release only pro level lenses without a pro body, placing there bets on a camera days before the Tokyo Olympics. My bet would be that Canon as usual is holding it's cards until this summer.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Absolutely NOT. There are too many options available. Doesn't make sense for Canon to bypass wedding season for 2020 and release only pro level lenses without a pro body, placing there bets on a camera days before the Tokyo Olympics. My bet would be that Canon as usual is holding it's cards until this summer.

Meaning you think something will come out this summer?

Upvote 0
Give it a rest already. I own an R and it is a fine camera but it could use some native lenses at least the 70-200 and 16-35 in the RF mount.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Now the question is, do you buy the R or RP to hold you over until then?
That is a question I always answer with
"If I am in NEED for FF I will go to the next shop and decide which camera I will buy" - at the moment the EOS R would win because RP is too crippled in some ways and there is more hope that features will be added to the EOS R (while this is non typically Canon to add substantial features per firmware update).

And the second part of the answer ist that the M50 with the EF-M 32 (and a small bunch of other lenses) is a lot of camera if you are interested in photographic or video RESULTS and not in nitpicking / pixel peeping (I do the latter but I am physicist and I am always stunned how good tech is today, especially lenses).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Seems to me like a 7d iii or 5d V release this year, with the 7d iii far more likely.

All other "high-end" dsrl models are likely going to be transitioned into mirrorles. only those two (and the 1dx iii, in 2020) are heavily autofocus dependant and thus a dslr instead of mirrorles is the better choice for canon right now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not overly surprised if I'm honest. Canon has previously stated that there are a lot of expectations on this upcoming camera and they want to get it right, so I am completely comfortable with them taking their time to do so. I need time to save anyway.

I have a hard time seeing a 5D IV replacement coming next though, it was released less than 3 years ago at this point which would be a much quicker turn around time than in the past.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
I have a hard time seeing a 5D IV replacement coming next though, it was released less than 3 years ago at this point which would be a much quicker turn around time than in the past.

i just put it out there as a possibility, but jeah its far too early for that. But what else could be meant with a "high end" dslr?

i can only see a 7d iii
the 80d series will probably be killed off and will be /is already replaced with the m50 (series)

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
So, what features are missing in current cameras that:
a) make an actual measurable difference in image quality
b) make an actual measurable difference in what images are practical to capture
c) both fall in either of the above categories AND require the absence of a mirror box

I know of only one feature that would arguably fall in category c: no more cropped bokeh balls. That's solved by removing the mechanical obstruction that is the mirror box. That's already solved by both the R series bodies, right? What's next?

Ibis? You can combine that with a mirror.
Eye AF? That too.
Floppy flippy screen? Come on!
Lightweight body? Have you seen the 6D?
Exposure preview, focus peaking or zebra stripes in viewfinder? Just make the (now 300k pixel) light meter slightly higher resolution and add an oled display in the ovf stack where there are already LEDs.
The slapping mirror makes an astonishing small impact on the overall system once you really start to think about it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
If Canon could just get that chubby RF 70-200 out sooner rather than later, I'd be all in on this system. I was able to shoot with the RP for a week and I really enjoyed it. I'm hoping to pick up an R next.

That said, Canon is really missing an opportunity to push the R-series into the pro market if they don't have a mirrorless 1D out in early 2020. Between the Olympics and a US presidential election, it would be prime time to deliver a workhorse camera.

Upvote 0
So, what features are missing in current cameras that:
a) make an actual measurable difference in image quality
b) make an actual measurable difference in what images are practical to capture
c) both fall in either of the above categories AND require the absence of a mirror box

I know of only one feature that would arguably fall in category c: no more cropped bokeh balls. That's solved by removing the mechanical obstruction that is the mirror box. That's already solved by both the R series bodies, right? What's next?

Ibis? You can combine that with a mirror.
Eye AF? That too.
Floppy flippy screen? Come on!
Lightweight body? Have you seen the 6D?
Exposure preview, focus peaking or zebra stripes in viewfinder? Just make the (now 300k pixel) light meter slightly higher resolution and add an oled display in the ovf stack where there are already LEDs.
The slapping mirror makes an astonishing small impact on the overall system once you really start to think about it.

it has an impact as in the data the sensor gets can be used constantly now, instead of only when the mirror is up. the massive amounts of data that the sensor captures in modern MILC can then be used for things like ai tracking etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Stop complaining : you can use the R in 720p if you want slow motion, what are you talking about. And if you want a quality recording you can always buy a 1k extrnal recording so you can finally start enjoying this camera. And you will have 5 amazing lenses in one year that will cost 3x the price of your body. Canon strategy completely makes sense !

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I'm not overly surprised if I'm honest. Canon has previously stated that there are a lot of expectations on this upcoming camera and they want to get it right, so I am completely comfortable with them taking their time to do so. I need time to save anyway.

If you want the latest cutting edge, go get Olympus. I you want working reliably, go Canon. Many here want both, but they are mutually exclusive. Canon will be slow, but worth the wait.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0