No new EOS R body shipping in 2019 [CR2]

My passion?? Is more like my frustration...!! :D I "started" to leave Canon when I bought a Sony A7r3. With the mc-11 adapter i can use my canon glass with "almost" no problem. So it´s not a jump in the dark, if that day comes (leaving Canon) it will be a slow process (and probably yes...will make me lose some money.) However, even buying the A7R3 (witch i do love), I always thought that this camera was somehow temporary and Canon would respond with better hybrid cameras. Sony launched the A7r3 in October 2017, and next month they will launch a new firmware update witch will give more focusing skills to the camera! Eye AF? Well, i am shooting Eye AF for one and half years now!! How about Canon shooters?? :D Probably they are getting the firmware update now! Yes, I shoot with IBIS for 1 and half year! Canon users? Nope....But let me just say this, i don´t value so much ibis, I value more IS sistem in lenses. I am shooting video with a fullframe sensor and getting a fullframe image in 4k! Canon? Yeahh....just don´t have it! Let me just say again, I often shoot in crop mode in Sony, and use a lot the 1dxmkII to film, and shooting in fullframe is not a game changer for me, but is great to have it! Ohh...what about Log? Yeaahh I have a 6000€ camera from canon that shoots great video...but with no C-log and the worst thing...with a 20 year old codec that produces huge files! :D

What is so strange to me....is that this things are evidences! I am not making this up! Canon already assumed in an interview that they didn´t respond well to the change in the market. But even with this, i got called a "troll" in this forum and "slammed" just because I am criticizing Canon!! :D Why? Because i am angry that Canon is saying for us not to expect new EOS R cameras in 2019!! And this seems to be....normal to everybody! :D
I am not happy criticizing Canon, not happy at all!!! I would LOVE that canon launch a great hybrid camera! With no drawbacks, with no restraining things!! Just giving what people that shoots video with this cameras want! (Yes, for me the problem of Canon is the video, for stills cameras continue to be excelent). So, yes! If Canon launches a great camera I will sell my Sony one and get a Canon! Yes I am a CANON FAN! And yes, I am frustrated with Canon. I understand if most of you don´t understand me...But this are my thoughts ,fair or unfair, this are my needs as a photographer/videographer that lives 100% from image!! My best regards to everybody! Even to those who called me...a troll!! :D
I don't think you are a troll. I think you have strong feelings. You might be a troll if you live under a bridge.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I'm jealous of Sony capabilities in several areas, but high ISO noise levels isn't one of them. 5D4 sensor at 6400 ISO does pretty well. I wonder if you have a settings issue. If you're using highlight protection or something else that might be pushing things around by a stop or so. You might try a reset and see what you get.
thanks tiggy, I have no issues with 5DIV files, not a single one :) you replied to a wrong poster.
p.s. I tried shooting some sports with Sony A7RII yesterday. the evf screen flickering gives me a mighty headache. having histogram overlay in viewfinder is a nice feature though.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
"what a pile of bollocks ... up to iso 4600 you are just fine. I am pushing iso 6400 with my 5D IV's all the time, EOS R sensor is almost as good in low light. 5dIV is winning by 1/10 of a stop."

You tried printing these out to a large size for clients? Would be interesting to find out how they look blown up?

"You may find the Sony better, but to call 1600 on the Canon 'unusable' is ridiculous hyperbole."

I said anything above 1600, ....meaning 1600 is usable.

I honestly think the eosr performs far worse than the 6d in terms of low light performance. At least with the 6d the noise is 'nice noise' (more of a grain). Again, this is just my personal opinion and I still love Canon and their lenses. I'm still invested in the company and I want them to shift their arse in gear a bit more. Some usable video features would be nice and for that we really need ibis.

Nothing tops the 16-35mm wide lens and it works almost perfectly on the a7iii with the metabones v adapter, and same goes for my favourite lens, ...the 2.8 IS 70 - 200mm

I am seriously struggling to understand your logic or the lack thereof. sorry.. you now brought 6d in the mix, printing large... what is that has to do with 5div file quality at iso 6400?
I look at file at 1:1 resolution and they are nice and clean. run DXO Photolab Prime noise reduction over your files at iso 3200 and see if you like the result.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Can you get the R to backup to a phone or pad while you are shooting? That would be a great way to get backup without a second card.
Yes, but it's honestly not a reliable alternative. As soon as you turn the camera off to change lenses or it goes into sleep mode you have to get everything set back up again - that alone makes it unrealistic. I have used it in the past, however. I was shooting product photos at a restaurant for their menu and never changed lenses. It worked out nice.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
"what a pile of bollocks ... up to iso 4600 you are just fine. I am pushing iso 6400 with my 5D IV's all the time, EOS R sensor is almost as good in low light. 5dIV is winning by 1/10 of a stop."

You tried printing these out to a large size for clients? Would be interesting to find out how they look blown up?

"You may find the Sony better, but to call 1600 on the Canon 'unusable' is ridiculous hyperbole."

I said anything above 1600, ....meaning 1600 is usable.

I honestly think the eosr performs far worse than the 6d in terms of low light performance. At least with the 6d the noise is 'nice noise' (more of a grain). Again, this is just my personal opinion and I still love Canon and their lenses. I'm still invested in the company and I want them to shift their arse in gear a bit more. Some usable video features would be nice and for that we really need ibis.

Nothing tops the 16-35mm wide lens and it works almost perfectly on the a7iii with the metabones v adapter, and same goes for my favourite lens, ...the 2.8 IS 70 - 200mm

Point taken. But I used the work 'hyperbole' very carefully: this does not negate your opinion but I think it is overstated. My gut reaction comes from people confusing 'I don't like it' and 'unusable' because I would ask unusable for whom? (Pros learn to put their personal preferences aside if it delivers images that sell). There are those who say Canon gear is unusable because you can't push images 5 stops. z

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
A paper cut bleeds. Hemorrhaging is life threatening. Sony is not a big player. Sony's total market share has not changed much either way in the last 10 years (14% vs Canon's 50%). When Q1 reports are released for 2019... I'm going to declare that Canon is hammering and eviscerating Sony. I'll use those exact words regardless of the Q1 results simply because I like to chum it up with you dramatic Sony types. BTW: I also measure what's going on in the market by what my two friends are doing. Interesting that you choose a used 1DX Mark II over a new Sony.

FYI, I now have a Canon 1DX mkII, 5DmkIV, 6DmkII, Eos R, 5DmkIII and a 77D. So its really kind of funny that you think I am a Sony Type.

I am just a realist and am aware of other brands and how they are doing. 5 yrs ago, Sony was a nothing in the full frame arena. Now they are a major player and have some damn good equipment. I may be a Canon guy but I know a good number who have left. I am optimistic about Canon though and feel their two initial bodies in the full frame mirrorless market are fairly strong entries particularly the RP at that price point.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
FYI, I now have a Canon 1DX mkII, 5DmkIV, 6DmkII, Eos R, 5DmkIII and a 77D. So its really kind of funny that you think I am a Sony Type.

I am just a realist and am aware of other brands and how they are doing. 5 yrs ago, Sony was a nothing in the full frame arena. Now they are a major player and have some damn good equipment. I may be a Canon guy but I know a good number who have left. I am optimistic about Canon though and feel their two initial bodies in the full frame mirrorless market are fairly strong entries particularly the RP at that price point.
14% of the total market (zero market share growth in 10 years) isn't "major player" status to me. Sony's camera division is gonna be in deep trouble soon. Deeper than usual. Waiting for the next couple of CIPA reports. Then what will you Sony types do? Hopefully Sony will release a lens longer than 400mm one day.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Isn't that an internal contradiction?

Generally you don't need to AFMA on a DSLR either. So what was your point?
I think what he is trying to say is that on a DSLR, that all models of lenses can need AFMA but for most individual lenses it is not needed. On a Mirrorless camera, most models of lenses do not need AFMA, but there are a few that require it.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2018
I was busy chugging along with the 1DC since its release and the continued value that camera has given me, you cannot put a price on.
With all the current predictions/rumours, I decided to fill the second camera gap with an R.
Having read ALL the opinions in the last few months since release I was a maybe a bit sceptical, but had done the pro vs con thing for long enough.
Biggest revelation to me is that I now have some idea of the amount of bullshit written on the internet.
No wonder they are taking their time on the higher end versions. This system is very special.

For once I think I might of been on topic.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Sorry, no. The topic is about bashing Canon. Please get with the program. ;)

I do quite like the R, but it’s not particularly small nor are good lenses for it. For me, it will be mainly a travel camera, I think.
I bought mine to replace my SL-2 for travel, but I would have bought the RP instead for travel if it had been out. My R is small enough to sit on my desk, but still large compared to a RP. Third party accessories and software is still lagging in support. I have been trying a IOS app to control the camera after corresponding with the author. He said he had no camera to test it with, so I gave him a write up. Unfortunately, all of the functions work only partially, or don't work properly, but there is some functionality. I'm not aware of any remote app that works for a R that gives focus stacking, downloads RAW to the iphone, works with CR3, or other similar functions.

The app $1.99 RemotEOS does work as a remote shutter release, can do focus bracketing with limitations, and does save CR3 files to my iPhone.

Upvote 0
Isn't that an internal contradiction?

Generally you don't need to AFMA on a DSLR either. So what was your point?

My Canon 5D3 and 5D4 needed to have the 50 1.2, 85 1.2 and 70-200mm re-aligned with AMFA almost by weekly, the sigma lenses we’re even more of a chore. If your use to shooting 2.8 or faster AMFA is a normal part of your weekely camera check. The more I traveled with the lenses and body the more the they needed adjustments. Also AMFA isnt a saviour. Sometimes you’ll have a perfect alignment for when use it at a 10 feet distance but then move in for a closer or out to infinity focus and all the sudden its off again.

These situations do not happen (99.9% of the time) with mirrorless, just buy a new lens, slap it on and your in focus even at f1.2 Some lenses like adapted lenses, vintage lenses or native macro lenses will need AFMA to adjust them with the sensor.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
That’s only for certain adapted or vintage lenses who don’t work well with their autofocus system. So the 1 in a 1000 issue. Generally you will NEVER need to amfa lenses on a mirrorless.

not true at all.

focus shift is a problem which is why Sony goes through such pains with some of their lenses that only AF stopped down and not wide open.

Upvote 0