No new EOS R body shipping in 2019 [CR2]

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Why not? I have seen here several people complaining that pros need two card slots and always mentioning that reliability is an issue (i.e. probability of losing pictures taken due to card failure). From reliability perspective, "a system is never better than its weakest link". If the alleged pro photog thinks the weakest link in his/her photo shooting business is "single card slot" then she/he will definitely go and get a memory card with the best quality possible rather than mourning for one card slot in the camera that he/she has.

With me, I found it very useful to have 2 cards in....shooting concert festivals like JazzFest in New Orleans. In the 'heat of battle', I'm not looking at my card count indicator, and was thankful that I had the extra slot to auto switch to while shooting, and not have to stop due to 1 card full.

It happened more than a couple of times on a full day with multiple artists on multiple stage in action.

Just my $0.02....

cayenne

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Yes, but it's honestly not a reliable alternative. As soon as you turn the camera off to change lenses or it goes into sleep mode you have to get everything set back up again - that alone makes it unrealistic. I have used it in the past, however. I was shooting product photos at a restaurant for their menu and never changed lenses. It worked out nice.

Hmm...interesting....
I never turn my camera off to change lenses.....are you supposed to? What's the +'s and -'s of not turning your camera off to change lenses?

I turn it off to change cards, but not lenses....

cayenne

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Hmm...interesting....
I never turn my camera off to change lenses.....are you supposed to? What's the +'s and -'s of not turning your camera off to change lenses?

In the case of the EOS R turning off the camera closes the shutter, which protects the sensor. With a DSLR, the mirror does that job.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Hmm...interesting....

cayenne
Also as far as I know. When the camera is on the sensor creates a static field which will attract dust.

Upvote 0
not true at all.

focus shift is a problem which is why Sony goes through such pains with some of their lenses that only AF stopped down and not wide open.

Focus Shift (focus needing adjustment after changing aperture) — This has nothing to do with AMFA.

AMFA is permanent at the sensor for a specific lens. Focus Shift is due the lens design.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Semantics. But regardless, AF from the sensor is not infallible.
Calling it semantics doesn’t change the fact that you’re wrong. You brought up the issue of focus shift with the example of Sony lenses that focused when stopped down, that indicates you know the meaning of the term focus shift. AFMA doesn’t correct focus shift (at least, no current implementation does although it would be possible to accomplish that if a manufacturer chose to do so).

No AF is infallible.

Upvote 0
Calling it semantics doesn’t change the fact that you’re wrong. You brought up the issue of focus shift with the example of Sony lenses that focused when stopped down, that indicates you know the meaning of the term focus shift. AFMA doesn’t correct focus shift (at least, no current implementation does although it would be possible to accomplish that if a manufacturer chose to do so).

No AF is infallible.

You beat me to it... not semantics at all, rrcphoto you simply just wrong.
Its ok to be wrong buddy, we all learn from each other. Thats the beauty of the web.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I signed up to Canon Rumors as I was awaiting the new big firmware update that Canon promised for the EOSR, ...turned out they quietly released a firmware update that didn't offer much.
Presumably you mean v1.1.0 which came out in February. The v1.2.0 firmware (eyeAF, etc.) is due out next week, according to Canon Canada. See the front page of the site.

Upvote 0