Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
And a male stonechat on the same day. Exposure wasn't good for this one as the white collar was strongly reflecting light and I had to raise exposure by an ev in post and lower the highlights. Remarkably, the bird is ringed, and possibly had been ringed in Europe and flown to Africa.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Oh, I forgot some photos that I got Saturday (the previous series are from Sunday). Just the common guys from the rain-forest... but I love them and take a shot whenever I see them! Red-billed Leiothrix and two shots of White-rumped Shama. Leiothrix is exercise at 1600 ISO - little bit too much for my camera...View attachment 183728View attachment 183729View attachment 183730
They are very sharp. What camera are you using? I am envious of where you live!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
And a male stonechat on the same day. Exposure wasn't good for this one as the white collar was strongly reflecting light and I had to raise exposure by an ev in post and lower the highlights. Remarkably, the bird is ringed, and possibly had been ringed in Europe and flown to Africa.

I really like this shot. Nicely done, Alan.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
They are very sharp. What camera are you using? I am envious of where you live!

Alan it's third time you are asking about my equipment and in generally I was avoiding direct answer. OK, here it is:
All photos posted on this forum from me (from close ups of plants, insects e.t.c. to BIF) are taken with D7200 + 200-500 VR. Now you for sure understand why I hesitate to answer your questions ;).
And yeah, it's nice to live in Hawaii but I'm planing vacation in Europe for this summer - much more birds and wildlife :p. And I'm kind of nostalgic for the European nature - have not been there for the last ~17 years.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Alan it's third time you are asking about my equipment and in generally I was avoiding direct answer. OK, here it is:
All photos posted on this forum from me (from close ups of plants, insects e.t.c. to BIF) are taken with D7200 + 200-500 VR. Now you for sure understand why I hesitate to answer your questions ;).
And yeah, it's nice to live in Hawaii but I'm planing vacation in Europe for this summer - much more birds and wildlife :p. And I'm kind of nostalgic for the European nature - have not been there for the last ~17 years.
No apologies required for using equipment from a manufacturer you leave anonymous! I use a Sony bridge camera, quite unapologetically. If your gear comes from the N... manufacturer, then the 7200 has one of the best high density sensors available, and the sooner Canon puts an equivalent in a 7DIII, the better. Unfortunately, there has been a dramatic decline in birds in Europe since you were last here.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
No apologies required for using equipment from a manufacturer you leave anonymous! I use a Sony bridge camera, quite unapologetically. If your gear comes from the N... manufacturer, then the 7200 has one of the best high density sensors available, and the sooner Canon puts an equivalent in a 7DIII, the better. Unfortunately, there has been a dramatic decline in birds in Europe since you were last here.
Exactly the sensor is why I still keep that camera, otherwise D500 is better in any other regard (except for the absence of U1-U2 settings - with the "N"-banks it's slower and a lot of people dislike them).
Concerning the birds in Europe - I didn't know that (bad news!!!) I have to consult with some friends there. We will see...

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I don't know what is the reason but once I get logged to the treat part of posts disappear: particularly the cormorants of dps and now his peacock! Instead I m getting bunch of adds from Fujifilm. If I'm not logged on everything is OK.
dps I like your photos but there is no way to put (y) there!:unsure:
Any suggestions (everybody)?

Upvote 0
I don't know what is the reason but once I get logged to the treat part of posts disappear: particularly the cormorants of dps and now his peacock! Instead I m getting bunch of adds from Fujifilm. If I'm not logged on everything is OK.

Thanks! It's the thought that counts. I'm not certain why you're having the trouble you are.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Mail Craig.
Mail Craig, listed under “Contact”.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Pheasant fight

I was out and about last week - North East England (Weardale, mainly) - and happened to mention to my mate that one image I've never really been able to manage is a good one of Pheasants scrapping.

Not ten minutes later - this happened:

ACD_PN_IMG_0851_4.jpg

A bit of a bugger that I lost a wing-tip - these lads were pretty close - but I'm very happy with how this worked up. The slow (1/320) speed makes for plenty of movement blur, which adds to the sense of action.

Canon 1D X, 500mm f/4 Mk II + Mk II 1.4x TC, handheld. Full Exif in the image.

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0