So what has become of the rumored EOS R and C200 video feature updates?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Prior to the latest announcements from Canon,  it was also rumoured that Canon would be adding 4.2.2. internally to the Canon Cinema EOS C200 and RAW video output to the Canon EOS R when using an external recorder such as the Atomos Ninja V.
The Canon EOS R raw recording may have originated with the following tweet from @CanonUSApro. Canon USA later backtracked and said they were talking about photography RAW, but that honestly made zero sense to us or anyone else.

As for 4:2:2 internal 4K being added to the Canon Cinema EOS C200, the person that sent that to us was correct about some other things, so we’re not sure what to make of it.
NAB doesn’t start until tomorrow, and the...

Continue reading...

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Goofy as it is, this is about as itchy as I've been for a Canon reveal in a while. If true, it will put me over the top of making the decision to buy the EOS R. Not just for video, but to also replace the workload I use my 5D3 for a couple times a year nowadays (Use my DX2 regularly instead). My 5D3 is used almost exclusively for tethered shooting and the EOS R with that USB C output would be a boon for data transfer during that. But being able to add a great codec with ProRes RAW to my Ninja V would be so very welcomed. The codec the DX2 uses produces excellent 4k footage that is very pleasant to grade in post thanks to the huge data rates, but playback is choppy in an editor. ProRes RAW gets you all that data and more in a more compact and efficient package than CPUs have a much easier time unpacking and rendering in editors.

On top of all that, I would see such a feature addition like this as a signal that Canon really is stepping up their game/mindset for DSLR/MILC video competitiveness going forward. Canon appears more attentive to market forces offered by Nikon than they do Sony, which is just fine. Nikon announces ProRes RAW partnership with Atomos, and now we see Canon reacting (as rumored) so as not to cede that desired advantage to their largest rival. Please may it all come true!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
14 bit "real" RAW video output would certainly be a typo for such a camera. But 12 bit ProRes RAW is a different animal entirely and completely within the realm of probability as that codec was designed by Apple and Atomos precisely for such a DSLR/MILC camera as this using its HDMI 2.0 output for external recording. Again, Nikon came right out the gate with it on the new Z models which are the direct competitors to the R. And a 10 Bit 422 internal codec on the C200 should be a given. Both these features make total sense. Canon wants to drive small camera/ B camera video users to the EOS R, not the RP. Having ProRes RAW output on the R with all the gorgeous Canon color science would be bigtime

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
The explanation of "RAW photography" doesn't stack up because the Freudian slip mentions "EOS RAW recording." You don't typically speak of "recording" RAW photos.

And why would they post a poll about a feature (RAW output with stills...think tethering)? I’ve been tethering RAW into Lightroom for years. Yeah, I’m sure thats what they really meant... look ProRes Raw makes a ton of sense for this camera consodering the competition and Canon didnt jump into the FF MILC market to play Second fiddle

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
As far as video performance goes, Canon would love to be second fiddle. Right now, they are more like the guy who puts the fiddles in the van after the show.
As the Sherpa for a musician, and being the person who puts the fiddles in the van after the show, I feel your pain :)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Nice one. ;) No fiddles but my back remembers moving a few stacks of Marshall amps in my youth.
She also has 3 accordions! And when we met (45 years ago!) she was into large format photography and had an 8X10 camera with glass plates and a tripod that I think weighed more than she did. Carry that combo around and you will become a true believer in the merits of iPhone photography :)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
She also has 3 accordions! And when we met (45 years ago!) she was into large format photography and had an 8X10 camera with glass plates and a tripod that I think weighed more than she did. Carry that combo around and you will become a true believer in the merits of iPhone photography :)
I love accordion music. You're a lucky man Don. :)

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
And why would they post a poll about a feature (RAW output with stills...think tethering)? I’ve been tethering RAW into Lightroom for years. Yeah, I’m sure thats what they really meant... look ProRes Raw makes a ton of sense for this camera consodering the competition and Canon didnt jump into the FF MILC market to play Second fiddle

Ever since they accidentally discovered “fire from the Gods” and established DSLR video with the 5D Mark II, Canon has been content to play second fiddle with video features on their prosumer stills camera lines to protect their higher end Cinema EOS cameras. I agree it would be a good move for them but was skeptical from the beginning. We’ve been faked out several times by these rumors in the past.

From a business standpoint, one can understand the risks of cannibalization; from a “let’s make a great product” perspective, one cannot. I hope they end up implementing RAW, because it would signal a change in mindset. But skepticism reigns.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Everyone here is always praising the Canon sales in general but how are they doing on the video side. A lot of the things they lack are video related. So whats the word on the competition when it comes to cimena cameras or just videography in general. Most of the people that jump ship do it for video purposes.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Canon has been content to play second fiddle with video features on their prosumer stills camera lines to protect their higher end Cinema EOS cameras.

I really cant here this tinfoil theory anymore :-D
What are the reasons that video production companies use cameras like the c300/700, reds, alexas, etc?
It is the professional and industry proven standards these cameras offer. Like XLR, proper Audio interfaces, buttons for all video settings, options for handles (build in, not attached with weird cages), big screens, SDI outputs, recording features to high end memory mediums like SSDs, reliability, raw, ports for everything, ..
If Canon would offer EXACTLY the same video quality from a c300 in a Canon EOS R II - than professional production companies would STILL not care about it. They would still not switch from the bigger and dedicated movie cameras. Nobody using a c300 and above would switch down to a mirrorless (unless the size is crucial and needed for a certain shot).

Canon does not need to "protect" the cinema line.
Thats like saying General Motors builds bad SUVs to "protect" their trucks....

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
What are the reasons that video production companies use cameras like the c300/700, reds, alexas, etc?
It is the professional and industry proven standards these cameras offer. Like XLR, proper Audio interfaces, buttons for all video settings, options for handles (build in, not attached with weird cages), big screens, SDI outputs, recording features to high end memory mediums like SSDs, reliability, raw, ports for everything, ..
If Canon would offer EXACTLY the same video quality from a c300 in a Canon EOS R II - than professional production companies would STILL not care about it. They would still not switch from the bigger and dedicated movie cameras. Nobody using a c300 and above would switch down to a mirrorless (unless the size is crucial and needed for a certain shot).

Whatever the reason, Canon has not yet seriously engaged in spec competition on the SLR video front. One notion is they don't want to "cannibalize" their high end video equipment (whatever that means). Another idea is they don't have strong enough processors to do it. Maybe they just think the market value of higher video specs isn't worth the effort (or maybe the design and development tradeoffs).

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Whatever the reason, Canon has not yet seriously engaged in spec competition on the SLR video front. One notion is they don't want to "cannibalize" their high end video equipment (whatever that means). Another idea is they don't have strong enough processors to do it. Maybe they just think the market value of higher video specs isn't worth the effort (or maybe the design and development tradeoffs).
Ergonomics, ergonomics, and ergonomics....
Why do all high end video cameras look alike? Why do all stills cameras look alike?
Ergonomics! For video, you need a form factor that lens itself to shooting movies and access to the controls for shooting movies.... as a result, all decent video cameras tend to look alike.

Ergonomics! For stills cameras, you need a form factor to let you hold the camera steady and access to a different set of controls. That's why all still cameras look alike. Yes, I know a 1DX2 looks different than an M50, but when you look at the two of them, it is obvious that they are still cameras because they look like stills cameras!

You can't make a "pro movie" camera out of a "pro stills" camera because it is the wrong form factor and has the wrong controls.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011

I totally agree with you- unleashing video features in stills cameras would just provide access to more people and further widen Canon’s audience.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
I don't see how one could mitigate such risks on a competitive market.

If only by a collusion between all the major market players (Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Sony, ...)?

It’s the old adage that Steve Jobs used— cannibalize yourself before someone else does. Sony is already cannibalizing Canon from a MILC video perspective.

Upvote 0