The Canon EOS Rebel SL3/200D II/250D/Kiss X10 is coming very soon. Images & specifications leak ahead of the official announcement

D

Deleted member 378664

@all who are complaining about the SL3 will only have 9 AF points:
Isn't that the rumored spec of the AF System that is mentioned in the rumour?
Cite:
"Dual pixel CMOS AF enabled

It supports an area of approximately 100% (vertically) and approximately 88% (horizontally) of the imaging surface
At the time of optional selection of AF area, it is possible to select from up to 3,975 positions
When AF area is automatically selected, ranging with up to 143 divisions is possible"

Yes it's only a rumor, but then how accurate ist the photo of the sensor posted in this thread (is it the real SL3 sensor or is it a photo from the SL2 sensor?)

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
They must be, or Canon wouldn't be making them.
LMFAO yeah right. they could just get the t5i, t6i, t7i and enjoy it the same and not notice the difference. people just want something with better quality than a phone. which will soon fade as phones advance and get more AI stuff.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Yes it's only a rumor, but then how accurate ist the photo of the sensor posted in this thread ...

Frank
Hi Frank!
Last time - when the SL2/200D was announced - I was hoping, too, that the posted pic was just mockup from the SL1/100D.
But it was from the new model. When such pics appear, then they are most of the time already some marketing pics from the first serial products.

So I have not even 1% hope that there's something else than that ol' 9 point AF.

IMO all you've quoted is refering to Live View AF, which might be good for vid guys but not for stills guys like me.

But hope for miracles dies last. Mine died when the SL2/200D was released.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
@all who are complaining about the SL3 will only have 9 AF points:
Isn't that the rumored spec of the AF System that is mentioned in the rumour?
Cite:
"Dual pixel CMOS AF enabled

It supports an area of approximately 100% (vertically) and approximately 88% (horizontally) of the imaging surface
At the time of optional selection of AF area, it is possible to select from up to 3,975 positions
When AF area is automatically selected, ranging with up to 143 divisions is possible"

Yes it's only a rumor, but then how accurate ist the photo of the sensor posted in this thread (is it the real SL3 sensor or is it a photo from the SL2 sensor?)

Frank

That's for live view, not for the OVF. Live view always gets more/wider spread AF points

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I don’t get how people can complain about the features of a camera aimed at the absolute beginner end of the market. People who have never used a DSLR before don’t need 27+ focus points.

Why do you think only absolute beginners would buy this camera? Many advanced users would buy it as a small travel camera.
But if you talking about the absolute beginners: do you think they will be happy with hugely cropped and soft 4K with unusable AF?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
What is the point of 4K with 1.7x crop and no DPAF? Like this category us users will be happy with manual focus pull, sure. I know, it looks good the specifications and on the box.
How do you know it was 1.7X crop and no DPAF? That detail is not in the release....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
So basically a 200D with added 4K (obviously with huge crop and no DPAF), same 9 point AF and a few software upgrades. Wonder why camera sales are dropping like stone....
That ain't the reason for the drop in sales. :rolleyes: Sales have dropped industry wide. Dual pixel CMOS AF is on this rumored camera. Want more than 9 points? Spend more money. Want full sensor 4k? Again, spend more money. Simple.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
How do you know it was 1.7X crop and no DPAF? That detail is not in the release....
Easy to figure out considering the feature set of an M50 or EOS RP, they are not going to give out better features at this price range.
I guess they can make a camera with the same hardware same 4k crop, but enabling DPAF, like M5 Mark II or 90D

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Do you think beginners buying a "photo"camera are those most obsessed with 4K video?

No, but then what's the upgrade on this camera? A few software features and 50% higher price?
Actually many beginners are interested in 4K, not because 1080p is not enough, but simply because 4K is a buzz and better.
Why would you shoot a once in a lifetime memory in 1080p when you can in 4K?

But then these beginners will try this camera's 4K and will be disappointed because the AF will be everywhere. So they will throw it in a corner and
won't use it ever again because there phone will give a better experience and likely even better video quality.
I don't think a phone should have better video quality than a dedicated camera, ever.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
That ain't the reason for the drop in sales. :rolleyes: Sales have dropped industry wide. Dual pixel CMOS AF is on this rumored camera. Want more than 9 points? Spend more money. Want full sensor 4k? Again, spend more money. Simple.

Your username is pretty fitting. This new camera reminds me of the 700D release when literally the only notable change was a cosmetically redesigned mode dial and few minor software tweaks..

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

So if someone wants better video or actually a talented student who wants to learn film making and cinematography, but does not have much money,Canon is not an option. Because the next cheapest 4K with AF (and still heavy crop) is the R or 5D4. Nice!

And Canon's response to the dropped sales industry wide is to launch cameras with even fewer upgrades so people will have even no reasons to upgrade.
I don't see any reason why i would buy this camera over the 200D.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
One calls it crippling, others call it protection. Still, it's called differentiating.
Thing is, the "differentiating" factor of the SL series is its size. They should have left it with no swivel screen and kept it as the absolute smallest camera with which you can shoot an APS-C Canon sensor. Then the xxxD series is swivel screen, better AF, better battery, and a few little features. Then the xxD adds AFMA, even better AF, the LP-E6 battery, etc. They had the balance right when it was T3i, 60D, 7D, etc...now they've gone to some really weird choices.

But the real problem Canon's running into is the 3yr old a6300 outspecs it AND is smaller. And if these baby steps are a sign of what the other Rebels will be, every competitor is gonna have a camera way ahead of them.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Do you think beginners buying a "photo"camera are those most obsessed with 4K video?
There's actually a little counter-intuitive element here, but, actually, yes they will be. But not because they actually care...it'll be because the online review site or the Best Buy tech guy told them about it. The entry level models are carried at those kinds of stores for a reason, and the xxD and xD cameras arent for a reason.

Weak 4k, 1/10th the AF points, no real slow-motion, etc...those are easy sales points for that person to sell Sony over Canon, especially since the gap in lenses and upgrade paths has shrunk substantially

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
So if someone wants better video or actually a talented student who wants to learn film making and cinematography, but does not have much money,Canon is not an option. Because the next cheapest 4K with AF (and still heavy crop) is the R or 5D4. Nice!

And Canon's response to the dropped sales industry wide is to launch cameras with even fewer upgrades so people will have even no reasons to upgrade.
I don't see any reason why i would buy this camera over the 200D.
  1. What does learning the art have to do with 4K? Nothing. There is far more to the art of film making than resolution. (Same with stills) So Canon is absolutely an option.
  2. Don't see a reason to buy it? Then don't buy it. Canon is obviously not targeting you with this camera. Move on. There are budding film makers all over the world who will start at this level. :rolleyes: Film making has been around for a hundred years+. 4K has not. Camera resolution doesn't create Spielbergs, vision and the ability to tell a compelling story does.
  3. People want what they cannot afford throughout their lives. Canon's responsibility is not to give it to them. That is why there are various purchase levels.
I drive a Hyundai. I guess BMW owes me what I want, but cannot afford.

Last edited:
Upvote 0