All new 24mp sensor coming to the next Canon ILC’s [CR1]

Oct 18, 2011
I maybe in minority but I dont mind cropped 4k video as long as there is minimal rolling shutter effect.
Unfortunately, that's not what Canon cropped 4k has given us.

Considering you start with a 1.6x crop in APS-C to begin with, there's really no justification for Canon not to give non-cropped video aside from their processor capability not being able to handle it. Which, considering the R, RP, and SL3, may well be the case.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
BSI while dropping the AA filter would be a welcomed minimum change set. Not ground shaking but Canon needs that extra DR and sharpening and this would not be a terribly hard thing to do technically or financially (unless they really did paint themselves in with their sensor design - and I am beginning to wonder if this is the case).
Quad would be nice but does that really do anything except improving vertical shots? And would the market really give a crap overall, if that's the case?
Uncropped video.. um sure whatever. Should have happened long ago. Better have bigger batteries. But the batteries look unchanged so I don't see major video improvements unless the new sensor is way more efficient.
Oh boy.. it might be a long summer.

Upvote 0
If I understand the current DPAF sensors correctly, the pixel consists of two independent photodiodes (each with their own microlens and light well) and then combines the photoelectrons between the two upon readout to generate a stronger signal before amplification. Would the new 24MP sensors with QPAF essentially work the same way? Four photodiodes with their own light wells per pixel?

I ask because I can't help but wonder if it would be possible to eliminate the need to demosaic if a micro-Bayer filter was embedded within each pixel - two green (or one green and one white), one red, and one blue color filter over the photodiodes within a single QPAF pixel. And that would of course assume the pixels are of sufficient enough size to generate a decent signal to begin with. A 24MP APS-C sensor would mean a 4 micrometer pixel with less than 1 sq micrometer for each photodiode in a QPAF configuration. That's probably too much to hope for on a crop sensor due to the threat of pixel cross-talk, but it might be workable on a 24MP full-frame sensor with a 6 micrometer pixel.

But who the hell am I kidding? I just want a 7D mark III by year's end ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
I wouldn't hold my breath, at all, that Canon will remove the AA filter.

I don't understand why people want to see aliasing artifacts in their photos, but what do I know.

I think you could argue that Canon's AA filters are a bit strong, but in theory you should be able to have AA filters that kill the artifacts and have very little impact on actual fine detail.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
Isn't every sensor Canon releases touted as a whole new sensor? Odd that they would stick with a 24MP sensor since every crop camera they make currently has a 24MP sensor. I would think they would pump it up a bit to add some differentiation between the SL3 and the 90D and then flow that down to the SL4 over the next year or two. The margin difference between the SL3 and the 80D have gotten pretty hard to justify now that every crop camera Canon makes has acquired the tech from the 80D.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why people want to see aliasing artifacts in their photos, but what do I know.

I think you could argue that Canon's AA filters are a bit strong, but in theory you should be able to have AA filters that kill the artifacts and have very little impact on actual fine detail.

I made no statement about what I want, but Canon has released what, a single body with AA filter? That makes it extremely unlikely that any other specific body will lack an AA filter. Better to assume it will be there.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
Well let's see. Canon said the 6DII had an all new sensor... turned out to be not much of a difference from the original 6D. Then they said EOS R had a new sensor... turned out to be not much of a difference from 5DIV... My guess here would be an all new 24MP sensor that is not much different from the 80D. Perhaps with a slight decrease in DR... you know, kuz Canon.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Canon is well aware of the areas they're falling behind. I hope that, in normal Canon fashion, they've waited to implement these new technologies until they have them "perfected" in their eyes. I honestly think Canon is pretty annoyed that 4K is expected from their current generation of sensors - which are honestly terrible options for 4K. When you look at their cinema line with their 4K sensors we're seeing some of the most beautiful images off of them, so we know that Canon can create a terrific 4K Dual-Pixel sensor that shoots C-log. The benefits to a sensor with a faster readout also transfer over to photography as well. We get better potential electronic shutter performance, less noise, potential for higher dynamic range, on-sensor AF performance, the list goes on.

I really look forward to the next M5 and a replacement for the 7D Mark II....if they choose to blend it with the 80D replacement, that's fine with me. As long as it becomes a true 7D Mark II replacement.

Upvote 0
Isn't every sensor Canon releases touted as a whole new sensor? Odd that they would stick with a 24MP sensor since every crop camera they make currently has a 24MP sensor. I would think they would pump it up a bit to add some differentiation between the SL3 and the 90D and then flow that down to the SL4 over the next year or two. The margin difference between the SL3 and the 80D have gotten pretty hard to justify now that every crop camera Canon makes has acquired the tech from the 80D.

Yup. “All new” is now meaningless when stated by Canon. They do sometimes release generational leaps, but all releases will be termed “all new.”

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Unfortunately, that's not what Canon cropped 4k has given us.

Considering you start with a 1.6x crop in APS-C to begin with, there's really no justification for Canon not to give non-cropped video aside from their processor capability not being able to handle it. Which, considering the R, RP, and SL3, may well be the case.

the crop factor for the FF 4K video has to do more with that is a 8-9MP crop from the center of the sensor.

so with an APS-C camera, you still have a 8-9MP crop in the center, that doesn't change.

So no, your theory is entirely flawed here.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Well let's see. Canon said the 6DII had an all new sensor... turned out to be not much of a difference from the original 6D. Then they said EOS R had a new sensor... turned out to be not much of a difference from 5DIV... My guess here would be an all new 24MP sensor that is not much different from the 80D. Perhaps with a slight decrease in DR... you know, kuz Canon.

sure if you have magic scissors that cut each pixel in half for DPAF it was the exact same sensor as the 6D...
:rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

I also don't want to see aliasing artifacts in my photos. And I only very rarely see them with my 5DSR, which is why I would like more sensors without an AA-filter as they give sharper images.
Please explain the theory of how you can have AA-filters that kill the artifacts and have very little impact on actual fine detail.

Upvote 0