Patent: Canon RF 28mm f/1.8 & RF 50mm f/1.8

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon RF lens lineup will obviously include more affordable non-L options, and this patent shows Canon is working on such optical formulas.
The back focus on the RF 28mm f/1.8 is really short, which is quite interesting.
Canon RF 28mm f/1.8

Focal length: 28.80mm
F-number: 1.85
Half angle of view: 36.91°
Image height: 21.64mm
Total lens length: 80.30mm
BF: 7.00mm

Canon RF 50mm f/1.8

Focal length: 48.50mm
F-number: 1.85
Half angle of view: 24.04°
Image height: 21.64mm
Total lens length: 95.00mm
BF: 15.80mm

We had previously reported on the possibility of an RF 50mm f/1.8 IS coming sometime in 2019. With the coming IBIS in Canon mirrorless cameras, we may not see IS in these types of lenses to reduce size and weight.

Continue reading...

Jun 20, 2013
Those will be nice additions to the RF lineup. But I'm hopeful Canon will give us some pancake RF primes eventually. I'd like to see RF versions of the 24mm F/2.8 STM and 40mm F/2.8 STM. I think those along with the upcoming RF 70-200 F/2.8 and an EOS RP would make a perfect light and small travel kit.

24mm may come, but the 40mm will never come for the RF mount.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
I think there will be a nifty fifty for the RF mount for well under $150 - just like the EF version it will be the inexpesive start for many to shoot with fast primes.

Nah, Canon's whole philosophy with RF is to net big juicy margins. Big lenses, big prices, big executive smiles.

EOS M will be the bone thrown to 'enthusiasts' who don't have $1200 to spend on a lens. Go play in the corner with this little toy camera until you earn a decent salary - that's Canon's attitude.

I just hope that Tamron moves into the RF space and starts filling-out the affordable range.

Upvote 0
I think there will be a nifty fifty for the RF mount for well under $150 - just like the EF version it will be the inexpesive start for many to shoot with fast primes.
the optics for the 50mm are very similar to that of the RF 35mm. it's most likely going to be, like the 35mm a $500 lens, not a well under $150 one.

also, I made mention of this in our posting on this patent, but it deserves to be mentioned here. as this is the patent application for the RF 35mm 1.8 IS STM, and it does contain a IS element, all these patent embodiments contain the same or similar IS compensation element meaning they probably all have IS.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
The Canon 50 f/1.4 is listed at 2 inches long, or 50.8 mm

The emphasis was on when you include backfocus distance. That 95mm in the patent, like always in patents on optical designs, is measured as the distance from the front element to the image plane. The total length of the EF 50/1.4 is ~95mm when you include the 44mm flange distance of the EF mount. The physical length of this RF lens is about 2cm longer than the EF one, pretty much exactly negating the difference in flange distance (which is 20mm in the RF case). This is likely not a coincidence.

Upvote 0
The emphasis was on when you include backfocus distance. That 95mm in the patent, like always in patents on optical designs, is measured as the distance from the front element to the image plane. The total length of the EF 50/1.4 is ~95mm when you include the 44mm flange distance of the EF mount. The physical length of this RF lens is about 2cm longer than the EF one, pretty much exactly negating the difference in flange distance (which is 20mm in the RF case). This is likely not a coincidence.

It doesn't negate anything. This lens is nearly twice as long, completely the opposite direction hoped-for with mirrorless tech. And it is not technically necessary as evidenced by the RF 35 f/ 1.8 IS which is slightly faster, includes near macro focusing and is about the same length as its Ef 35 f/2 IS equivalent. So, it is huge for a 50 f/1.8

• Haha
Upvote 0