Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Dear Jack,

Thanks so much for reviving the memories of my last trip to CR! Here is a 1 minute video of how I was greeted upon arriving at the lodge near PN de los Quetzales. Makes me smile every time I play it, excellent for cheering up.

Didn't manage to embed it here, unfortunately...

Memories, for sure. That's cute and if it's early AM, quite an alarm clock. I tried hard to visualize what we were in for but mostly I was off by a mile. Clay-coloured Robin is the national bird due to its song (not sure I ever heard it). Great-tailed Grackle. Green Violet-ear Hummingbird.184055184056184057

Jack

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Beautiful shots, Jack. I especially like the 3rd and 4th picture.

Well done!
Thanks as always. Hummers were all over but not always that easy to catch in flight. I wasn't around feeders, which would have made a big difference. Scintilant Hummingbird.

Jack

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Thanks as always. Hummers were all over but not always that easy to catch in flight. I wasn't around feeders, which would have made a big difference. Scintilant Hummingbird.

Jack

Very nice picture Jack! Indeed these hummers "in the wild" are quite hard to catch in a good way - but you managed :):cool:
W.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks guys. There were some in certain areas that were so plentiful that it was just a matter of time that one would pause for a shot. The flowers you see were the big attraction and they were like hedges so no shortage of subjects. Black-bellied Hummingbird (I think).184064

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
It was my birthday two days ago, a most beautiful spring day, about 23 oC, and I was serenaded by small songbirds in my garden. I now have a chiffchaff that starts the dawn chorus accompanied by various tits and other birds who are clearly heard but not seen in the high trees and bushes. But, I caught this pair with the 5DSR at 560mm. Not the greatest of shots but they are mementos.

View attachment 183998View attachment 183999
Nice shots Alan

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I didn't have the opportunity to shoot in the weekend. Instead I took a day off Tuesday to make a chaperone for friends visiting from New York. It was fun but concerning the birds - no much hopes. At the very end of a round trip in botanical garden we noticed two Gray Francolins running in front of us. Their track was predictable and I just went forward to "freeze" in front of the place where they were expected to appear (under the bushes). After that my "hunting dogs" (I mean my friends:)) started approaching the bushes where the birds were hiding. I was waiting ~5-7 minutes ("frozen"!} and nothing. My friends (not birders but in this case it was helpful) were asking (loudly!): did you got them? And I just noticed some movement ~10 meters in front of me! One of the birds was there! And very confident in the low light under that canopy! I got some shots but when I tried to change the angle it just went running (and the second bird after it)!

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I'm stumped and have one guess but I'll wait for feedback. I think it's wearing a disguise.

Jack

View attachment 184066
And I'm ready to sleep:) - long day today. I promise I will try tomorrow (not sure I can succeed!) Did you say " disguise" - that is perfect one, any time I fail to identify a bird I'm going to use it (no "TM" next to your original posting :D!) Nice photo BTW and that is what makes the music! (Hey, is it a branch of Plumeria there?)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I didn't have the opportunity to shoot in the weekend. Instead I took a day off Tuesday to make a chaperone for friends visiting from New York. It was fun but concerning the birds - no much hopes. At the very end of a round trip in botanical garden we noticed two Gray Francolins running in front of us. Their track was predictable and I just went forward to "freeze" in front of the place where they were expected to appear (under the bushes). After that my "hunting dogs" (I mean my friends:)) started approaching the bushes where the birds were hiding. I was waiting ~5-7 minutes ("frozen"!} and nothing. My friends (not birders but in this case it was helpful) were asking (loudly!): did you got them? And I just noticed some movement ~10 meters in front of me! One of the birds was there! And very confident in the low light under that canopy! I got some shots but when I tried to change the angle it just went running (and the second bird after it)!
View attachment 184068View attachment 184069
This looks like what we called Hungarian partridge??

Jack

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
This looks like what we called Hungarian partridge??

No! It isn't it! It is why I prefer for some birds to apply the scientific names too... Compare Perdix perdix (the "Hungarian") against "Francolinus pondicerianus " (it comes from India and around)! On the Internet you can find a lot of them! It is easy to find differences between these two if you look carefully!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Thanks guys. There were some in certain areas that were so plentiful that it was just a matter of time that one would pause for a shot. The flowers you see were the big attraction and they were like hedges so no shortage of subjects. Black-bellied Hummingbird (I think).

Here is the female of the Red-legged Honeycreeper. I believe I posted the black/purple male earlier.

I'm stumped and have one guess but I'll wait for feedback. I think it's wearing a disguise.

Jack

Beautiful pictures. Well done, Jack.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0