The 2020 RF lens roadmap, up to 8 new lenses coming in 2020

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’re told that a loose roadmap for RF mount lenses in 2020 has been shown to select people and that the plan today is to release between 6 to 8 new RF mount lenses in 2020.
Amongst those lenses will be f/4L zoom lenses, perhaps some of the recent patents give us some clues.
At least one “crazy look-what-we-can-do” lens is coming next year.
There will also be at least one fast L prime lens and a couple of non-L lenses, it’s unknown if they’ll be zoom or primes or both at this time.
There has been no world on tilt-shift or macro lenses for the RF mount as of yet.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
This should be exciting, I can't wait to see what that potential "look what we can do" lens is going to be, though I'll probably never be able to afford it, I hope it's something stupid like a 600/2.8. Though, I'm fine with lenses/ adapted lenses. I really can't wait to see what the next camera is going to be like. I'm hoping for something to replace my 5DMIV/ run along side it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I don't believe that Tilt-shift lenses are big sellers, so lower cost lenses should be a priority. Low sales has not stopped Canon from releasing some expensive RF sellers so far though.
I figured they'd expect people to just use the adapter considering that polarizing/filtering behind the lens would likely provide advantages over an RF tilt shift.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

fabao

RF 10-24 f/4???
Apr 26, 2019
Canon is doing everything right with their RF lens selection, and I really like that they are not just coming with the usual focal length/aperture combinations we already have on EF format, but also with unique lenses like the 28-70 f2, the small 70-200, and the perfect for travel 24-240. As those announced lenses become available, I think in this area they have an edge over Sony, Nikon, and Panasonic FF mirrorless options. BUT, they really need a body to match those lenses. In particular, they need to add IBIS to their camera bodies like the other manufacturers did. Shooting video just hand holding my GH5 is a delight, even with longer focal lengths. With the Canon RP with no stabilization, oh boy... And adding even cropped 4K 60fps would be to ask too much?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Canon is doing everything right with their RF lens selection, and I really like that they are not just coming with the usual focal length/aperture combinations we already have on EF format, but also with unique lenses like the 28-70 f2, the small 70-200, and the perfect for travel 24-240...

I believe Canon is following a two-pronged approach. They are releasing lenses that duplicate the most popular EF lenses, which are matched to the common uses of their existing R bodies and they seem to be releasing some lenses that take advantage of the new mount design to show what it's capable of. Internally, it may be like telling the designers, "Okay, you can design this unusual lens, but you also have to get us 4-5 general purpose lenses."

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
They are releasing lenses that duplicate the most popular EF lenses, which are matched to the common uses of their existing R bodies and they seem to be releasing some lenses that take advantage of the new mount design to show what it's capable of.
All of their RF lenses take full advantage of the new mount design...

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
All of their RF lenses take full advantage of the new mount design...

Like a 50mm 1.2 that is bigger and heavier than the EF one, or a 70-200mm 2.8 that is fatter and probably heavier than the EF one? And it'll probably be twice the price as well, to keep the RF tradition alive. Oh how about a 24-105 that's pretty much identical in specs and IQ to the EF II? How's that an advantage?

Canon's RF designers seem to have Sigma Envy and want to show that they too have big manly bits. Meanwhile I'm looking at the EF 35mm IS because it's small and light.

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
I have a feeling that we will see something like that 17-70 lens, as a kit zoom. Perfect for travel, providing it's light and decent. 17 is really wide on FF, and that would be a great plus for interior photography on an RF body.

Otherwise, I see a couple of non-L primes, maybe a 24 and 50 and some additional high-end primes.

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Like a 50mm 1.2 that is bigger and heavier than the EF one, or a 70-200mm 2.8 that is fatter and probably heavier than the EF one? And it'll probably be twice the price as well, to keep the RF tradition alive. Oh how about a 24-105 that's pretty much identical in specs and IQ to the EF II? How's that an advantage?

Canon's RF designers seem to have Sigma Envy and want to show that they too have big manly bits. Meanwhile I'm looking at the EF 35mm IS because it's small and light.

The 50/1.2 RF is a spectacular lens, and the 24-105 f/4 is as good a 24-105 as you can get. I'd rate it to be a bit better than the EF version, at least version I which I also have. The bokeh is excellent.

I do agree - some smaller, light lenses in the spirit of the older EF USM primes would be nice. Size does matter a lot of the time.

Upvote 0