Big Canon EOS R price drop, save up to $500 and still get the EF-RF adapter for free

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Last edited:
I'll bet they are accelerating the next few RF mount releases with the new sensor designs. They are knocking it out of the park with lenses, but need the bodies to at least stay within a generation or two of Sony's improvements. So much of the official talk lately has been pushing the message of
  1. Mirrorless RF is the primary focus in the future.
  2. Short term profits were going to be down.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
...need the bodies to at least stay within a generation or two of Sony's improvements
Did Canon do that with their DSLRs? According to the viewpoint of many on this forum, no. Did Canon maintain their nearly 50% ILC market in spite of that? According to established fact, yes.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
Did Canon do that with their DSLRs? According to the viewpoint of many on this forum, no. Did Canon maintain their nearly 50% ILC market in spite of that? According to established fact, yes.
Sensor wise, I think the 5D4/R sensor does a very good job. Especially in DR....not sure how much more you really need there. I would like a higher resolution body, but that will come.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Nothing unexpected, even the much more aggressively priced RP will drop after enough time has passed (probably that will be the time for the next EOS R price drop).
In Germany, some RP kits are already offered with an official Canon "start bonus", e.g. you can currently save € 170 on the RP/ Adapter/ RF 24-105mm kit. I still gonna wait a bit...

Upvote 0
I think Canon has matched what Sony did on the image quality front. The 6dII sensor was a little bit of a disappointment but the 5DIV and R sensor certainly is within a a few design preferences of the Sony sensor. I guess I should have said the "sensor and processing" needs to be within a generation of Sony. The sensor is certainly right there, the speed of it and the processing speed/features when combined with Mirrorless is a bit behind. Sony is coming out with the s7IIIs & a9II relatively soon with new sensors, and Canon will need to release their new sensor they've been working on to match sooner rather than later.

The slow but steady bleed to Sony and Nikon with professionals & semi-pro amateurs will keep happening if they don't. With the low end of the market collapsing due to cell phones, stopping the high end migrations becomes more important. If the A9II is able to make serious changes to ergonomics/customizability as rumored (supposedly a bigger grip) that will only increase the flow in addition to the sensor improvements.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I still think it's too expensive.

Nikon is having a sale $1800 for Z6. Z6 has a newer sensor and IBIS.I heard their EVF and ergonomic is comparable to EOS R.
Nikon Z6 FX-Format Mirrorless Camera Body - Bundle With Camera Case, Spare Battery, Compact Charger, Cleaning Kit, Memory Wallet, 32GB XQD Card, Mac Software Package

So why are we paying more than Nikon for less? I'm no Canon apologist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Canon and Nikon have reduced their prices out of necessity. If you look at Amazon sales in the mirrorless category, Sony dominates. Better sensors, IBIS, kick-ass autofocus, lots of lens choices including great third-party support - Sony is leading the market. The next step may well be universal shutter where mechanical shutters are a thing of the past. I don't see Canon or Nikon introducing leading technology like Sony.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I think Canon has matched what Sony did on the image quality front. The 6dII sensor was a little bit of a disappointment but the 5DIV and R sensor certainly is within a a few design preferences of the Sony sensor. I guess I should have said the "sensor and processing" needs to be within a generation of Sony. The sensor is certainly right there, the speed of it and the processing speed/features when combined with Mirrorless is a bit behind. Sony is coming out with the s7IIIs & a9II relatively soon with new sensors, and Canon will need to release their new sensor they've been working on to match sooner rather than later.
Yes, the 5D IV and R. But what about prior bodies? For years, Canon was ‘behind’ in sensors...but not in sales. That was my point. You say they ‘need to be close to Sony’, the facts show they don’t.

The slow but steady bleed to Sony and Nikon with professionals & semi-pro amateurs will keep happening if they don't. With the low end of the market collapsing due to cell phones, stopping the high end migrations becomes more important. If the A9II is able to make serious changes to ergonomics/customizability as rumored (supposedly a bigger grip) that will only increase the flow in addition to the sensor improvements.
Got any evidence of a ‘slow but steady bleed to Sony and Nikon professionals & semi-pro amateurs’? Note that anecdotes ≠ evidence. “My two friends who used Canon have switched to Sony. Well, one switched and one is thinking about it,” is not evidence. “This or that pro shooter switched to Sony,” is not evidence (any more than, “That other pro photographer switched to Canon.”).

In point of fact, if the ‘low end of the market is collpsing’ making the high end that much more important for overall sales numbers, and Canon is not losing market share, that is a form of evidence. Except that it’s evidence which refutes your argument.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Yes, the 5D IV and R. But what about prior bodies? For years, Canon was ‘behind’ in sensors...but not in sales. That was my point. You say they ‘need to be close to Sony’, the facts show they don’t.

Got any evidence of a ‘slow but steady bleed to Sony and Nikon professionals & semi-pro amateurs’? Note that anecdotes ≠ evidence. “My two friends who used Canon have switched to Sony. Well, one switched and one is thinking about it,” is not evidence. “This or that pro shooter switched to Sony,” is not evidence (any more than, “That other pro photographer switched to Canon.”).

In point of fact, if the ‘low end of the market is collpsing’ making the high end that much more important for overall sales numbers, and Canon is not losing market share, that is a form of evidence. Except that it’s evidence which refutes your argument.
It's true that there is little hard evidence of this because the actual market numbers are hard to track. However Sony's overall percentage of the interchangeable lens camera market has been rising slowly while the percentage of the APS-C market has been declining. That means they are gaining on the full frame side. Now, that could be that they are selling a lot of A7II's for their discounted prices instead of selling a6x00 series, or more prosumers are making the switch for shiny new full frame toys, but the number of Pros with Sony in the studio or at sporting events is growing, evidenced by the fact that it's no longer 0.

I also pointedly said losing people to Sony and Nikon. Presumably future Nikon Z mount cameras will have the capability of having the same features as future a7/a9 cameras, probably just 6 months behind. And the idea of Pros switching to Nikon is probably more easy to wrap your head around.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
Canon and Nikon have reduced their prices out of necessity. If you look at Amazon sales in the mirrorless category, Sony dominates. Better sensors, IBIS, kick-ass autofocus, lots of lens choices including great third-party support - Sony is leading the market. The next step may well be universal shutter where mechanical shutters are a thing of the past. I don't see Canon or Nikon introducing leading technology like Sony.

One could just as easily say that Sony has to bring bigger spec sheets at lower prices to compete with Canon. Both Canon and Sony users win when they compete on price like this. I for one am grateful to people willing to incur the cost of chasing the latest Sony features, thus forcing Canon to adopt them into the next Canon camera I will eventually buy whether or not it has IBIS, 5 stops of shadow pulling and can AF on the eye of a black rhino. Sure, I'll take those features and use them to best of my abilities when I have them, but I don't find them essential enough to switch when weighed against other things I value.

I'll also point out that there is no free lunch. Sony is clearly subsidizing their camera division as part of a larger strategy around sensors. Imagining that they would continue to innovate at this pace in a hypothetical post-Canon world is laughable. I read over and over how terrible Canon must be because Joe Keyboard Warrior thinks everything Favoritecorporation does is the only viable option, and Notfavoritecorporation is moronic for not offering the exact same product at the exact same price. Again, we all win when there is competition. The market innovates faster when corporations employ varying strategies. If Sony offers what you value most a price you can afford, go there and be happy (bitching about Canon is not typically part of what I would call, being happy, but YMMV).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0