Canon officially announces the RF 85mm f/1.2L USM

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
No, I have the R and the Rf50 and that lens is perfect for the price. This new lens should be the same value. No way to put more 300$ on there.
If you compare a 50 mm and a 85 mm , take a look at the size of the lenses, at the mechanical complexity, at the 85's optical quality, and then, and only then, allow yourself a judgment as to what is a ridiculous price...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
easy pass.. the lens might be great but with no IBIS & the 1.8x 4K crop on EOS-R it's not a worthy investment for me as a hybrid shooter. Canon have the balls to show it shooting video but what they omit to admit is that this lens becomes a 153mm F2 in 4K :cautious:

I'm sticking to adapted EF glass until a pro body surfaces with hopefully full sensor readout for 4K video.

Upvote 0
I'd suggest that you buy the Euro 11900 (!)1,25/75 mm Leica M lens, if you find the price of the RF 1,2/85 ridiculously low :ROFLMAO:

There's a big difference between the price of 50 and 85mm. I live in europe so here the RF50 is 2400 and RF85mm is over 3000. It's a lot of money

Btw, i never said the RF50 is low, but i think it's not overpriced. It's obviously an expensive lens no matter what
I'll surely buy the new 85, but not now. Maybe for crhistmas when the price should be about 2300 that time

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If you compare a 50 mm and a 85 mm , take a look at the size of the lenses, at the mechanical complexity, at the 85's optical quality, and then, and only then, allow yourself a judgment as to what is a ridiculous price...

If you think it's a reasonable price go for it and buy it man :D
Not for me that price
As you may seen, 90% of the people says this lens is overpriced. That means something

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
easy pass.. the lens might be great but with no IBIS & the 1.8x 4K crop on EOS-R it's not a worthy investment for me as a hybrid shooter. Canon have the balls to show it shooting video but what they omit to admit is that this lens becomes a 153mm F2 in 4K :cautious:

I'm sticking to adapted EF glass until a pro body surfaces with hopefully full sensor readout for 4K video.

You'll be waiting a while longer then. If the "Pro" body is as rumored, you won't see a full readout on a 60MP sensor. You want what I want. An EOS R Cinema body with a sensor size similar to that of the Alpha 7s.

That said... I bought the EOS R and shot on it yesterday with the 85 (in 4K to an Atomos). Loved it

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
It's an interesting strategy for Canon. Get all the pro lenses out there before any pro body, so when the pro body comes out, there will be a full lineup of lenses (I'm pulling for decent 1.8 IS models myself...). It's a tough chicken/egg debate. We'll see if this pays off for Canon in the long run.

I'm kind of wondering if this was the initial strategy or if they were planning on making a big splash in the mirrorless world next year, and had developed the lenses already, to a certain extent. Then, a change of heart and an almost rushed introduction of 2 bodies in the mid and low price range just to get their hat in the ring.

That is to say that their initial plan was to come in at the high end, and maybe one mid-range body also around late 2019 or early 2020. But, given the competition building and the popularity of mirrorless, they brought 2 bodies to market quickly, using many available parts from the DSLR line and maybe also the M series when applicable. That would explain why the RP in particular came out with no corresponding low-priced kit lens.

Upvote 0
You'll be waiting a while longer then. If the "Pro" body is as rumored, you won't see a full readout on a 60MP sensor. You want what I want. An EOS R Cinema body with a sensor size similar to that of the Alpha 7s.

That said... I bought the EOS R and shot on it yesterday with the 85 (in 4K to an Atomos). Loved it

I have the R as well.. the crop factor & rolling shutter in 4K is a real PITA for me personally. not to mention lack of IBIS.

I really hope they are not going for a high MP body next but rather a 1DX2 type pro mirrorless body.

As for an RF cine cam, yeah that would make sense. Just make the C200 RF.. i'll take that.

Upvote 0
That is one unit of a lens. No doubt it's an expensive lens, and more than I could justify for how often I'd use it. Most of these really expensive lenses seem to be getting a lot of praise for just how sharp they are, and maybe that's where this price point is being considered.

Part of me is wondering if this is all intentional and related to the upcoming high resolution body. When the 5Ds/sR were released, Canon had outlined which lenses they felt were a best match in being able to keep up with the high resolution demands of the sensor, and I'm really wondering if we're seeing the same reaction in reverse: building and releasing lenses that are outstandingly sharp to match up with a very high resolution body to come. Releasing a 60-70mp+ camera and noting that while any EF lens will work with the adapter, (nearly) all RF lenses have been designed with this resolution in mind and will provide a superior output - that could be a compelling reason to upgrade glass.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I have the R as well.. the crop factor & rolling shutter in 4K is a real PITA for me personally. not to mention lack of IBIS.

I really hope they are not going for a high MP body next but rather a 1DX2 type pro mirrorless body.

As for an RF cine cam, yeah that would make sense. Just make the C200 RF.. i'll take that.

My needs for the R aren't hindered by the rolling shutter. I don't have much if any call for fast whip pans where that would come into play. I actually did lots of slow to moderate panning last night shooting some dance classes and it didn't bat an eyelash. The rest were all stationary shots on a tripod. The crop is more of the factor everyone has to contend with,, but I shot everything with a 16-35 f4 L IS and a 50mm prime. Even some with the 85 prime. (All EF mounted with adapter) No complaints. This is also why I'd like to see more non-L primes get announced soon. I'd prefer to use a 20-24mm prime with a native mount, but for now, I'm good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0