Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Weird day today: under the sun - very hot, birds are preferring the shades (me too!). In the same time rather strong wind, especially the gusts. Much cooler under a good shade. Hard to get the initial focus when the bird is hiding between branches and the focus tracking sucks too (all because of the wind...).
First photo is Scaly-breasted Munia (aka Nutmeg Mannikin - Lonchura punctulata). The rest is well known bird... After ~1h I just gave up.184351

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Weird day today: under the sun - very hot, birds are preferring the shades (me too!). In the same time rather strong wind, especially the gusts. Much cooler under a good shade. Hard to get the initial focus when the bird is hiding between branches and the focus tracking sucks too (all because of the wind...).
First photo is Scaly-breasted Munia (aka Nutmeg Mannikin - Lonchura punctulata). The rest is well known bird... After ~1h I just gave up.
Very nice pictures ISv, as a positive - the gusts of wind nicely fluffed up the tuft of feathers on the cardinals(?) head :)
W.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Sometimes the cutest birds can be found in your own back yard ;)
I especially like the one where three youngsters are huddling close together
W.
I really do enjoy photographing small birds opportunistically, which is why I favour lighter weight gear for carrying on hikes and pinpoint focussing to pick out the little ones from the background.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
While I've seen Clark's Nutcrackers further north and even here in the SoCal mountains, they always seem to want to stay up high in the trees. Fortunately for me, I had spotted a group of six and after about a half hour of observing them, noticed the only nearby tree with untouched pine cones was a shorter one on the hillside where I could stage under a low bough of a taller tree, less noticeable(in my mind), and hopefully get eye level shots. Then the waiting game began.
C14513-X3.jpg

1DX MK II 600 II w/1.4X 1/400 : f/8 : ISO 1000

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0