Canon registers a 32.5mp APS-C DSLR in Taiwan

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
32.5 * 1.6 ^ 2 = 83MP.

And the megapixel race to nowhere continues...
Just like the auto industry did a few years ago with limiting the top-speed to 250 km/h, the major players could decide to stop this MP race someday...
For the even more MP- hungry, MF offers an alternative.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
When will Canon learn that it's not more pixels that everyone craves, but better dynamic range and lower noise. I would love an 18-20MP crop sensor with those characteristics. Much like the universally acclaimed Nikon D500.

When will people learn that pixel densities...within the range we see in today's ILCs...have virtually no impact on DR or high ISO noise.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
When will Canon learn that it's not more pixels that everyone craves, but better dynamic range and lower noise. I would love an 18-20MP crop sensor with those characteristics. Much like the universally acclaimed Nikon D500.

===

The big mote in Canon's eye is that an APS-C sensor is in NO WAY going to give more dynamic range OR lower noise!

Until Canon goes to 50 megapixel at say 4:3 aspect ratio 8192 x 6144 pixels using a MEDIUM FORMAT 56 by 42 mm image sensor that has ONBOARD Global Shutter circuitry AND samples the 6.8 micron photosites at a FULL 32-bits per colour channel downsampled (via Nyquist sampling!) to 16 bits per colour channel (i.e. 48-bit RGB colour!) --- ONLY THEN will you get a true LOW-LIGHT, LOW-NOISE STILLS AND VIDEO IMAGING MONSTER of a camera !!!

---

The above is what it NOW TAKES to compete with upcoming systems where the upstarts have "Taken The Gloves Off" by combining a FULL end-user oriented feature set AND supreme image quality ALL AT a much-more-than-reasonable price!

In other words, ... CANON IS DOOOOMED, I Tell You! UTTERLY DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED !!!!!!

• Haha
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Just like the auto industry did a few years ago with limiting the top-speed to 250 km/h, the major players could decide to stop this MP race someday...

A) There are a ton of street legal cars faster than 250 kmh / 155 mph.

B) If a MP increase on APS-C or FF offers an improvement why should people who want it be forced to buy into MF which is many times more expensive? You're not actually starting to exhaust IQ for 35mm format size until some point passed 100 MP.

Upvote 0
32.5 * 1.6 ^ 2 = 83MP.

And the megapixel race to nowhere continues...

And m4/3 has a new 34MP sensor coming, with 136MP FF equivalent resolution, which makes this 32MP APS-C look lame. If this new 32MP is one of Sony’s new sensors, then it might be a beauty, but I’d want it in a camera with the best AF around, which would mean a 7DIII with at least 1DXII class AF, not an 90D with average AF at best.

Upvote 0

As mentioned, that's not a "stopped race"; it's a matter of tire safety. It becomes exponentially harder to make tires that can safely sustain high speeds for the required amount of time, so if your car can eventually get up to 165mph but you don't want the tires to cost $300/per, you put in an electronic limiter at 155mph/250kph.

On-topic, count me in the crew entirely happy wtih ~30mpx.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

Because so many people will die while shooting at 32.5 MP?

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Because so many people will die while shooting at 32.5 MP?

Judging from this forum, if Canon's new 32.5 MP sensor doesn't get the best DxO DR score then yes, many people will die.

My 300D still works! It was a great breakthrough! Our 5DS and 5DSR may have more megapixels, but the 300D was a landmark.

It was indeed. First DSLR under the $1k mark. I was on the 10D at the time but I remember seeing a lot of 300D's in the wild. Excellent camera for the time.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The largest I ever printed was poster (40" by 30"), and a handful of those at that. I'm an effing amateur, lets say I needed 18MP for that. I'm impatient, so after half an hour framing on a tripod, I still cropped a couple of MP. So even on the rare occasion I go big and compensate for my lack of skill with what is, for my needs, an overkill camera, I barely scratch my 5DmkIII's resolution.

I've looked left and right, and say that covers what 999‰ of camera owners need, if not 9999‱ of them.

I don't see why the niche within the 1‰, or 1‱, who actually need >30MP (crop wildlife & print large, ads on billboards & walls five stories high, etc) would be posting so much about it on forums. My guess is they have the manufacturer's ear anyway.
Your use of percentages is to say the least unusual. But, more to the point, I and most nature photographers crop excessively as we are focal length limited and need every pixel we can get on the image. And there are a lot of us.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
Your use of percentages is to say the least unusual. But, more to the point, I and most nature photographers crop excessively as we are focal length limited and need every pixel we can get on the image. And there are a lot of us.

This. The expected difference (24-32) is similar to the resolution jump between the 5d3 and 5d4 (22-30). For a lot of the subjects that doesn't make much of a difference, but when you're focal length limited the ability to crop with the higher resolution sensor is hugely beneficial.

I'm not exclusively/mainly a nature photographer, but I have far more instances of being focal length limited (the longest lens I have is 'only' 400 mm) than I do problems with dynamic range.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
I have the 80D and the R currently. The 80D is a really good camera but the ergonomics on the R are much better. Every thing people complain about around ergonomics on the R I happen to really like with the exception of the touch bar that I haven't even set up yet. I have APS-C glass that will easily support 32MP and I see the benefits of mirrorless over DSLR in my use cases. APS-C is lighter and cheaper than FF. When you are going up a mountain with your gear strapped to your back that matters. YMMV.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Much like the widely loved x1.3 crop APS-H EOS 1D MkIV. That was one of my all time favorites.

-pw

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Much like the widely loved x1.3 crop APS-H EOS 1D MkIV. That was one of my all time favorites.

-pw

A nicer size and just that little extra reach. I loved it too ... when below ISO 800 and not needing to crop too much ... but that was seldom for my bird/wildlife shots.

Jack

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
I have the 80D and the R currently. The 80D is a really good camera but the ergonomics on the R are much better. Every thing people complain about around ergonomics on the R I happen to really like with the exception of the touch bar that I haven't even set up yet. I have APS-C glass that will easily support 32MP and I see the benefits of mirrorless over DSLR in my use cases. APS-C is lighter and cheaper than FF. When you are going up a mountain with your gear strapped to your back that matters. YMMV.

I'm curious about what specifically you prefer about the R, since you're somebody who owns and uses both. I just own the 80D, and have only used the R a couple times. So, there's a chance I just wasn't used to it, but I found myself questioning a couple of the ergo decisions on the R. Firstly, the on/off switch and mode dial are a couple of head-scratchers... I'm not really sure why the R sets them up like they did, I think the 80D sets them up much better. The second one is that I missed the wheel around the d-pad, though I guess that had to go due to less real-estate on the back of the camera.

I would step up from APS-C to FF in a heartbeat though, I'm willing to pay the extra weight for my use cases. I very nearly dove in and bought the RP when it was announced, but I think I'll at least need to wait for the 24-70 2.8 to buy into the R ecosystem.

Upvote 0