Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hi, jack! I’m afraid i’m Home in rural Saskatchewan and likely will be for some time. You’ve posted some really nice pictures the past while.

Thanks.

Figures! Got Alberta beat, at least where I am, it's pathetic. Maybe they figure there is no more free lunch with the government change.

Jack

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I've not participated in this thread for a fairly long while, but I've read and enjoyed basically all of it. So compliments to all of you, who fill this thread with this great variety of birds and all the amazing pictures of them.

Since I last posted some pictures I've upgraded my 55-250mm 3.5-5.6 IS STM to a Sigma 150-600mm 5.0-6.3 Contemporary, as I felt too limited with the range of the previous lens. And since I dabbled in some deep sky astrophotography recently it felt like a lens that will serve me well for multiple purposes. Between beeing busy and bad weather I hadn't really got a chance to try it out properly yet. That changed today, when I took the lens out for a great walk under a nice, mostly blue sky. I'm quite happy with the results, so I thought I'd share my favorites from the day. Unfortunately I'm not really sure what I photographed, so no ID's for these birds from me ... One's a Starling, and then there's a mallard Duck and some Babys of the same kind, and a carrion crow. The smaller ones I don't see in the garden and I don't know the names of the orange headed water bird. These are just the birds I came across walking along the strip of nature next to the Hamburg Airport (Germany), so they can't quite compete with all those colorfull tropical fellows that have filled many of the recent pages :LOL:

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
While we have a small group that seems to stay through the winter, reinforcements have arrived and are starting to build nests. I've watched Yellow Crowned Night Herons for years and documented many behaviors but until last Sunday, I had never actually seen one take an actual bath. Perhaps it was just the annual 'Spring cleaning'.
SDR65003-X3.jpg

1DX MK II 600 II w/1.4X 1/2000 : f/8 : ISO 1000

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I've not participated in this thread for a fairly long while, but I've read and enjoyed basically all of it. So compliments to all of you, who fill this thread with this great variety of birds and all the amazing pictures of them.

Since I last posted some pictures I've upgraded my 55-250mm 3.5-5.6 IS STM to a Sigma 150-600mm 5.0-6.3 Contemporary, as I felt too limited with the range of the previous lens. And since I dabbled in some deep sky astrophotography recently it felt like a lens that will serve me well for multiple purposes. Between beeing busy and bad weather I hadn't really got a chance to try it out properly yet. That changed today, when I took the lens out for a great walk under a nice, mostly blue sky. I'm quite happy with the results, so I thought I'd share my favorites from the day. Unfortunately I'm not really sure what I photographed, so no ID's for these birds from me ... One's a Starling, and then there's a mallard Duck and some Babys of the same kind, and a carrion crow. The smaller ones I don't see in the garden and I don't know the names of the orange headed water bird. These are just the birds I came across walking along the strip of nature next to the Hamburg Airport (Germany), so they can't quite compete with all those colorfull tropical fellows that have filled many of the recent pages :LOL:

Nice shots of a male and female Blackcap and a Great Crested Grebe.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
A good example of why I would like more MP. Male Frigatebird.

JackView attachment 184432
Good one Jack!
Concerning the MP: I was glancing time to time at the discussion about that (eventual) ~32MP crop camera from Canon... If the guys who are saying "new round of hi MP racing - going to nowhere" take some time to compare the # of posted photos right here, also in the BIF pages against the main-stream photo-arts they may find something interesting...
Niche is niche, and I don't mean that the wedding/landscape shooters are not more in numbers but look at the dedication of the people who use to post here (let me say "Wild Life")! And BTW we are not egoistic - we share (may be because one always can find something interesting in our posts, not like "wedding, wedding, grandma, baby"! Oopps - celebrity!!! and everything is about the $$$ :)!
I always will take such a camera (some necessities out of the MP apply off cource but they usually are coming fine with the new generations of sensors)!!!

A good example of why I would like more MP. Male Frigatebird.

JackView attachment 184432

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Nice shots of a male and female Blackcap and a Great Crested Grebe.
Ah, thanks for letting me know the birds.

I actually remember the german name of thr Blackcap, because it sounded so lovely weird to me (Mönchsgrasmücke = Munk Grass Mosquito). Just didn't have the picture to go with it.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
My contribution from this Saturday is rather mediocre... I got there for better photos of Cacatua goffiniana - Tanimbar corella. Instead found a nest of a hybrid that looks more like Salmon Crested Cockatoo (I think up to now I have posted something that looks more like the White Crested Cockatoo).
The overall consensus is that the last two interbreed here and so, my separation is problematic

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Funny - after looking great time around for the Tanimbar Corella this bastard happen to land just in front of the nest that I found.
Not sure I got better photos in comparison with what I already have but some of them are more funny (I mean the first one - does it try to see my eye TTL?!).184492184493184494

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0