Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
A couple more Costa Rica pics. Black-cowled Oriole and Great Kiskadee.View attachment 184529View attachment 184530

Jack
Very nice Jack!
Thanks!

The other shots of that bird are not much different. But I attached them anyways. I might mention that the bird seemed quite tiny to me. Among the smallest I've ever seen, smaller than a blue tit for sure. It sat there above me quite close and looked at me long enough to grab a few frames. Then it flew off.

View attachment 184527View attachment 184528

Mine isn't actually that sharp. There's a hint of motion blur on the head and I did enhance it using smart sharpen in photoshop for some deconvolution. I find that to bring the okay-ish level of sharpness from the 150-600mm long end more into the realm of nice IQ. Still working on that though, I think I went slightly too far with this one.

I think I read once that you don't really sharpen your 100% crops? Or am I confusing you with someone else? I attached some 100% crops of just the bird. Notice how much nicer the feathers in the lower left look after some sharpening. The sunshine also helps I think. The Sigma really is a lens for good weather. Still beats the 55-250mm IS STM though.

View attachment 184525View attachment 184526
Joules, my bet is for the Common Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus colybitta, they could be more grayish in the Spring) but I have problem with some light spots on the wing - hard to decide if these are just spots from falling light or they are wing-bars (it was the reason for asking more photos). If they are wing-bars than it could be something from the tight group around the Greenish Warbler (Phylloscopus trochiloides). The last one is the smallest from the Lief warblers and more rare than the Chiffchaff.
(European) Blue Tit - 10.5-12cm
Common Chiffchaff - 10-12 cm
Greenish Warbler -9.5-10.5cm
I still bet for the Chiffchaff!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Very nice Jack!

Joules, my bet is for the Common Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus colybitta, they could be more grayish in the Spring) but I have problem with some light spots on the wing - hard to decide if these are just spots from falling light or they are wing-bars (it was the reason for asking more photos). If they are wing-bars than it could be something from the tight group around the Greenish Warbler (Phylloscopus trochiloides). The last one is the smallest from the Lief warblers and more rare than the Chiffchaff.
(European) Blue Tit - 10.5-12cm
Common Chiffchaff - 10-12 cm
Greenish Warbler -9.5-10.5cm
I still bet for the Chiffchaff!
It's very difficult to distinguish between a chiffchaff and a willow warbler from these photos. If we could see the colour of the legs better (willow warbler often flesh coloured, but some times dark, and chiffchaff very dark) or the length of the primaries, then we could tell more definitively. Joules, do you have some better photos of the legs and a side view?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
It's very difficult to distinguish between a chiffchaff and a willow warbler from these photos. If we could see the colour of the legs better (willow warbler often flesh coloured, but some times dark, and chiffchaff very dark) or the length of the primaries, then we could tell more definitively. Joules, do you have some better photos of the legs and a side view?
Legs are dark - see the first and second pics (out of 3). The face is also rather evenly dark. Still could be Willow warbler but very low probability.
Nice photo Jack, will think about it when there is a time.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks ISV and now here is one from me from CR for you to sniff out.

JackView attachment 184563
Looks like Yellow-bellied Elaenia (Elaenia flavogaster) to me. It obviously has few different subspecies. If you have photos from different angles you have to see yellow on the belly and pale (up to white) wingbars.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Looks like Yellow-bellied Elaenia (Elaenia flavogaster) to me. It obviously has few different subspecies. If you have photos from different angles you have to see yellow on the belly and pale (up to white) wingbars.
I'll try to find another pic if it exists. I'm wondering if there really is yellow on the breast.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jack, there are only 3 species of Elaenia in Costa Rica, Yellow-bellied Elaenia (Elaenia flavogaster) is what you have on your photos. From the other two one has just tiny crest, the other is more bold colors...
So we've nailed it? ;) Or might there be some other bird that could fit? BTW your feedback is always much appreciated!(y)

Now here is one that's pretty easy to ID. Amazing to be in the presence of these colourful birds. The reader is left to guess.:D

Jack

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0