Rest well Canon EOS 7D series [CR2]

Jul 21, 2010
in addition and to support what Alan just said, there is also a noticeable AF performance toll associated with teleconverters that is mostly noticeable in poor light conditions. not so bad in case of x1.4 teleconverter though but still noticeable
Agreed. Canon has stated that there is a 50% drop in AF speed (imposed by the firmware as a trade off for accuracy) with a 1.4x TC, and a 75% drop with a 2x TC. That sounds worse than it is, because Canon is referring to the speed at which the focusing group is moved, but the distance the focusing group needs to move is also reduced with an extender in place, so overall the AF performance hit is not too bad. Still noticeable in my experience, though (in spite of claims from a Canon mouthpiece that it shouldn’t be).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
How have those ‘major disappointments that Canon has been criticized for’ affected Canon’s market share?
Canon's made a bazzillion dollars the last few years just off of Rebels, Powershots, and even the 80D and 6DMKii's....I don't think they pay much attention to camera forum critics ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Is the D500 driving Nikon's lens sales at a high rate I wonder?
Over the 1 year period after the launch of the D500 (which fortuitously coincides with a Nikon fiscal year), lens sales dropped 22% and Nikon’s share of the global lens market dropped from 27% to 24%. Over the 3 year period since the launch of the D500, lens sales dropped 46% and Nikon’s share of the global lens market dropped from 27% to 19%.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Is the D500 driving Nikon's lens sales at a high rate I wonder?
Buying the 7D got me into the 7DII and then all those 5D series and big white lenses. Only anecdotal evidence for me. But, I wonder if the Nikon market share would have gone down further but for the D500?

Upvote 0
in addition and to support what Alan just said, there is also a noticeable AF performance toll associated with teleconverters that is mostly noticeable in poor light conditions. not so bad in case of x1.4 teleconverter though but still noticeable

I wonder if this toll remains when using mirrorless bodies and DPAF focusing. Is the limitation caused by the DSLR 's focusing screen?

Upvote 0
It's a thought that hasn't been borne out in the tens of thousands of frames I've shot with both FF and crop sensors from the sideline and baseline. Canon extenders work best with prime super telephotos.

Look, as far as RF goes, we haven't even seen most of the announced lenses yet. No one knows if the extending barrel RF 70-200/2.8 is going to be optically superior, or even as good as, the current internal zoom/internal focus EF 70-200/2.8 which is a pretty good lens. Maybe they think the selling point will be the compactness when stored at 70mm? Who really knows? Of the next 6-8 EF lenses that Canon has announced they will release in the next year or so, none of them are extenders.

It's really beginning to seem rather comical that most of those arguing here that it's no great loss that Canon has dropped the plans for a 7D Mark III are those who never bought a 7D (as flawed as it was, it was still a usable camera and advanced the state of APS-C cameras in many ways) or 7D Mark II. On the other hand, it seems to me that virtually none of the actual 7D/7D2 owners here agree with many of the reasons the non-owners are offering for why a FF R is somehow going to magically improve, probably for only twice the price, on the advantages the 7D2 offered for certain use cases!

Don't worry Michael, you'll be glad to hear that I'm not joining this thread from the boardroom's of Canon's product development department.

Upvote 0
Those are popular lenses, but I see them on the Rebels and x0D cameras. I don't often see them on the 7D Mark II.
The 17-55 2.8 IS is practically glued onto one of my 7dmkIIs. It's an amazing combo. Lighter than a 5DmkIV and 24-70 2.8 , has IS but minus the weather sealing, performs pretty well. A marriage made in heaven ;)

Upvote 0
The "adapter" on the R body is nothing more than a spacer. There are no optics to degrade IQ. There's no f-number penalty. It's not like trying to convert Canon lens protocol to Sony body protocol and vice-versa. The R cameras are EOS cameras. The EF lenses are EOS lenses. They all speak the same language. You don't lose anything the EF lens can do on an EF body when it is used on an R body, except perhaps slower AF due to lower battery capacity. But that is also true when EF lenses are used on EF bodies with smaller batteries - AF speed of the same lens is slower on a Rebel than on a 1D X. When attached to a 7D Mark II it's somewhere in between.
The slower AF is something I'm trying to avoid. As it's hard enough competing with Sony A9 shooters out there. More of them are popping up. That's interesting re: battery capacity and slower AF. (y)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Buying the 7D got me into the 7DII and then all those 5D series and big white lenses. Only anecdotal evidence for me. But, I wonder if the Nikon market share would have gone down further but for the D500?
Nikon went nearly seven years between their last D300 and the D500. During the interim, the line was declared dead by almost everyone. (sound familiar?) Something caused them to revisit their decision. While it may not have made much difference to their market share, I don't think its unreasonable to assume that they saw a lucrative niche that was less sensitive to market fluctuations than their lower lines. Of course, seven years equals a lot of pent up demand and that may have helped drive D500 sales.

The 7D rumors are perplexing because from my limited perspective it seems like Canon is making the same mistake Nikon made in 2009. But, I realize the anguish is premature until we actually know what Canon is doing.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I'm saying I use each body for different roles. Although I occasionally use my 70-200/2.8 on the 5D3, that lens is almost always attached to the 7D2. If the light is too dim for the 7D2, I put a 135/2 on the 5D3. Otherwise, the lenses I use with the 5D3, both primes and zooms, are, other than the 24-105/4 which is a workhorse when shooting in "hazardous" or "high impact" conditions, less than 70mm.

When the 7D2 wears out (and mine already has well over 70% of the shutter rating on it), it wouldn't make much of a difference to me to go to the D500 or its successor with the more expensive but better AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR than an inferior "sports" R body while continuing to shoot wide angle stuff with my Canon gear.

I have similar thoughts but I'm trying not carry bodies from different systems. Maybe if I had a 3rd but with 2 bodies. Having a backup in the same system can be the saving grace in some situations. Same batteries, same mounts, flash coms. So switching systems is an expensive proposition for those trying to travel light (no rolling bags). Locally , I could say have the 2nd Canon body in the car and carry the Fuji around. What I have learnt is that I'm not buying anymore native lights from Canon or Nikon for future purchases. Sticking to a 3rd party as it it's easier to switch systems without also having to sell off speedlights. Nice to have TTL now and then.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Many of the 7D/7D Mark II owners I know and see at events use FF cameras. Many of them use their personally owned 7D Mark II as a second body to their 1D X/1D X Mark II issued by their employers. I don't see many 7D Mark II owners shooting with a single body. The single body Canon APS-C shooters I see tend to use the 80D. The Rebel owners are in the stands.
I don't know any 7D owners without a FF too.

Upvote 0
I had been waiting for a 7D mk3 to compliment my 5D mk3. I'll have to wait and see what the 90D ends up being, but I fear it will be a downgrade compared to the 7D mk2, particularly in construction and weather sealing. Perhaps all you 5D mk3 users out there should consider upgrading to the 5D mk4 before Canon decides to discontinue that camera.
I have Zero interest in an R-mount body.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I had been waiting for a 7D mk3 to compliment my 5D mk3. I'll have to wait and see what the 90D ends up being, but I fear it will be a downgrade compared to the 7D mk2, particularly in construction and weather sealing. Perhaps all you 5D mk3 users out there should consider upgrading to the 5D mk4 before Canon decides to discontinue that camera.
A 5D IV might be an even better complement.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Wait until they discontinue it and buy at a huge discount.

Upvote 0
I welcome the replacement for the 7D II as long as it is going to perform like the 7D II. Aside from the fact the 7D needs better sensor quality, it is a great camera. If the leaked specs are correct for the 90D, it will not be an alternative for the 7D Mark II.

The 7D Mark II has more autofocus points and a killer autofocus system, which is what wildlife photographers need. I am all for going mirrorless, but they are taking a big gamble with a flagship APS-C camera. In order to be better than the 7D Mark II, the new camera is going to need 14 fps, touch screen LCD, 4K and killer AIServo. I am actually OK leaving the sensor at 20mp if it means increased quality and better ISO performance.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I think it is very possible that a new 90D is better than the 7DII.

As for an APS-C version of the R, I agree, it does seem odd. If there is no benefit to the lens size, then the only benefit would be in fps.

What would be great is if they had a FF EOS-R that had a crop mode that was 12-14 fps and FF was ~8 fps.
Not likely, but I sure hope it is.

Upvote 0
Possibly, but remember it is only photographers like us who buy the D500. The average consumer drives the big sales on the consumer DSLRs.

Upvote 0