EOS M related camera bodies coming in late August 2019 [CR1]

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Agree on the M11-22. The Rokinon 12/2 for M is reportedly a great choice for astrophotography, not only based on specs but also on low coma (an aberration that Canon doesn’t seem to care much about mitigating in their lens designs).
The Samyang 8mm f/2.8 EF-M fit is an absolutely cracking lens if you like a fisheye (stereographic). From 3m to infinity it's in focus for an infinity setting.
The 11-22 is a useful all rounder and a fraction of the size of a 16-35 f/4.

Upvote 0

bf

Jul 30, 2014
The Samyang 8mm f/2.8 EF-M fit is an absolutely cracking lens if you like a fisheye (stereographic). From 3m to infinity it's in focus for an infinity setting.
The 11-22 is a useful all rounder and a fraction of the size of a 16-35 f/4.
I agree. I have had this one since my original M and should've shared a few shots in the M forum. M was relatively slow in focus but with this lens all you needed was touching the screen and he shot was instaltly there without anyone's notice! Both these two lenses (12&8) are also among the best for astrophotography. I also love playing with spherical distortion with this lens.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Rokinon has made such lenses for efm mount e.g. 12f2. Being manual is not a big deal for such wide lenses as often focusing to infinity is all you need.

I certainly would want an autofocus lens, although I'm sure the Rokinon/Samyang 12mm is good.

I have the Rokinon 12mm f/2 regularly mounted on my Canon M5. (For those who are not aware, the Rokinon is the same as the Samyang 12mm f/2, lens, just badged differently)

It is a very sharp lens, with great contrast levels (including micro-contrast). It is a joy to use due to its small size, good build quality and usable focus ring. It allows a really useful equivalent of "FF" 19mm field of view, which is great for many landscapes, architecture and more.

It is also a fantastic lens for astrophotography - with low coma and very good image quality, even towards the corners wide open at f/2. Actually, astrophotography is the main reason I bought this lens and entered the Canon EOS M market - buying an as new 'M5' here in Australia. My copy focuses at infinity just a fraction before the focus 'hard stop', so I have the process down pat for .

The M5's focus peaking makes critical manual focusing (MF) - at less than infinity - quite user friendly. Would I like and use accurate and fairly speedy AF? Yes, sure... all the other lenses I own (EF, EF-S, EF-M etc) are auto focus. But I can certainly live with this lens being MF!

I look forward to what Canon will be providing in their next EOS-M line-up / models. The EOS M50 presents an exciting indication of what may be in the EOS M5mkII (or other similar models). In the meantime, I enjoy taking photos with my Canon DSLRs and my mirrorless M5 body, with the various lenses I have for them.

Regards

PJ

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon has patents for RF 16-35 and 15-35 f/4 lenses that are ~4“ long (not too much smaller than the EF version). If they went with a slow/variable aperture (e.g. f/3.5-6.3), I suspect it could be a bit smaller but not much, and the size savings would be primarily in diameter, not length.

For ultra/wide lenses, the size benefit of a smaller image circle (e.g. APS-C) substantially outweighs the benefit of a shorter flange distance.
...and now a patent for an RF 17-35mm f/4-5.6 that’s also ~4” long.

Still waiting for evidence to support the claims of some on this forum that the RF mount will allow dramatically smaller lenses.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
...and now a patent for an RF 17-35mm f/4-5.6 that’s also ~4” long.

Still waiting for evidence to support the claims of some on this forum that the RF mount will allow dramatically smaller lenses.
Tube could be smaller on front end but its stronger and cheaper use simple one piece tube.
All RF lenses are 2cm longer unless difraction elements.
But they use opposite lense to make it longer so can fit all too many lense in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is my dilemma/question... by Oct-Nov 2019 I need to buy a new camera (old one is dead, + going on European holiday for Xmas). Factors that impact my decision on which one to buy are:-
  1. Prefer light/compact EOS for travelling without need for giant camera bag.
  2. Can't afford to buy a new camera every few years, so this one should last.
  3. Tempted by EOS RP (but can't really afford it when I factor in lenses)
  4. Considering M50, (variangle screen for selfies - travel alone etc)
  5. Main use is for photography, not being the next youTube Vlog star!
  6. If I buy M50 now, benefit from EOFY sales (Australia), & parents going overseas (can get 10% GST refunded in July)
  7. Scared of the rumours about a 'new M' camera this year, which I'd kick myself for not waiting for.
    1. Or I just buy an M-lense now (on sale, + 10% GST refund in July), and wait for new M body?
Thoughts? :unsure:

Trolls: please be funny/witty. :alien:

(Current gear from my 550D days: an old Tamron 70-200mm lense that slides when tipped. 1 Canon 'nifty 50' lense.)

Upvote 0
the 24-240 should come out soon as well

the RP with the new 24-240 should be a complete combo and not cost more than 2000-2200$
The RP body is A$1751 (USD 1,222) on sale here in Australia now (no lenses no adapter). If you’re guessing USD above, that’s a massive A$2890+ :(

Upvote 0