Rest well Canon EOS 7D series [CR2]

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
So how does it extend battery life if the same amount of energy is required to focus the lens whether it happens quickly or more slowly? Either way the same amount of energy is expended to focus the lens.

Because in the same amount of time you're not able to move the lens as much or take as many frames in burst mode because you're waiting longer on AF between each frame. When shooting sports/action, your handling speed will affect how many total shots you wind up taking.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Because in the same amount of time you're not able to move the lens as much or take as many frames in burst mode because you're waiting longer on AF between each frame. When shooting sports/action, your handling speed will affect how many total shots you wind up taking.
You are now defining battery life as how many hours it will last, not how many shots. In both cases you are taking as many shots but in one case it can do it in a shorter time. The figures quoted by manufacturers and reviewers for battery life, however, are always based on the Cipa or their own tests for the number of shots, not the time it takes it takes to run down a battery.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Alan,
Jus something that I would like to point out.
It seems that you are making valid point but only if we look at a perfect battery that is able to converter 100% of stored energy into electrical output.
In reality some battery generate a lot of heat during rapid charging or power extraction.
A lot of it.
Please consider: some batteries are able to draw as much as twice more current oer time unit than others. (Chemistry, electronics, capacity, etc.)
I read somewhere (unconfirmed) that 1DX II battery voltage is slightly higher than 5D IV battery. And, 1DX II draws current form both of its batteries simultaneously whether 5D body equipped with battery grip is able to utilise only a single battery at a time.
It sounds to me like a” higher voltage and higher current” capabilities for 1DX II.
Higher watts / second facilities.
I hope it makes sense.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Alan,
Jus something that I would like to point out.
It seems that you are making valid point but only if we look at a perfect battery that is able to converter 100% of stored energy into electrical output.
In reality some battery generate a lot of heat during rapid charging or power extraction.
A lot of it.
Please consider: some batteries are able to draw as much as twice more current oer time unit than others. (Chemistry, electronics, capacity, etc.)
I read somewhere (unconfirmed) that 1DX II battery voltage is slightly higher than 5D IV battery. And, 1DX II draws current form both of its batteries simultaneously whether 5D body equipped with battery grip is able to utilise only a single battery at a time.
It sounds to me like a” higher voltage and higher current” capabilities for 1DX II.
Higher watts / second facilities.
I hope it makes sense.
1DXII has one battery, not two. And watts /second has no meaning since watt embeds the /second component already.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
1DXII has one battery, not two. And watts /second has no meaning since watt embeds the /second component already.
Watt= Amp x Voltage. there is no "seconds" component. Just FYI.
watts per hour per minute whatever is perfectly correct term to use.

1DXII has one battery, not two. - you are correct, I am incorrect. one large battery capable of fast charge / discharge.

now:

5D IV battery:
Canon LP-E6N Specifications.
Voltage:7.2V DC

1DX II battery:

Canon LP-E19 Specifications .
Voltage:10.8V DC

provided that both cameras draw a similar current (Amps), 1DX II battery provides at least 50% more power / per unit of time.

• Wow
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The 'watt' is the SI unit of power, and it's defined as one joule per second. In your definition of electrical power (P=IV), 'I' is current, which is measured in amperes, and an ampere is defined as 1 coulomb per second. Just FYI.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The 'watt' is the SI unit of power, and it's defined as one joule per second. In your definition of electrical power (P=IV), 'I' is current, which is measured in amperes, and an ampere is defined as 1 coulomb per second. Just FYI.
Neuro, you realise that you are entering a circular conversation where By your own definition watts per second can be defined as :
Coulomb x volts/ seconds to the power of two.
Perfectly sensible equation.
But keep the good work.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

1DXII has one battery, not two. - you are correct, I am incorrect. one large battery capable of fast charge / discharge.

now:

5D IV battery:
Canon LP-E6N Specifications.
Voltage:7.2V DC

1DX II battery:

Canon LP-E19 Specifications .
Voltage:10.8V DC

provided that both cameras draw a similar current (Amps), 1DX II battery provides at least 50% more power / per unit of time.
Noone said differently about the difference in this one battery. Also I was about to describe the watt embedding already the /second = time component already but Neuro covered me there.

EDIT: That's why I expressed the wish in a previous post for a battery pack that uses the combination of two batteries to achieve the 1DxII effect. Wishes...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Noone said differently about the difference in this one battery. Also I was about to describe the watt embedding already the /second = time component already but Neuro covered me there.

EDIT: That's why I expressed the wish in a previous post for a battery pack that uses the combination of two batteries to achieve the 1DxII efect. Wishes...
Got it makes sense. For simplicity let’s accept a simple thesis here:
1dx II battery is better positioned to drive AF motor of long and heavy super Tele lenses than 5D iV one. Solved.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I just read several pages of people tearing each other apart over batteries.
Batteries?? It really is getting slow on the forums lately.
The timing of this conversation is close to my 2.5-day short trip (in 8 days from now) where I will go to birding areas via bus - it's an organized excursion - which means not necessarily the heaviest lens (= not the 500 f/4 II) so it is either the 400 DO II or the 100-400. And a choice between 5DsR and 7DII. They both have the same pixel size => same magnification, the 5DsR has better quality in the lower ISOs but the 7DII focuses easier on very small targets and has a better buffer and frame rate. All these without taking into account the supposedly faster white lens drive and .... I am confused! :) Of course were I to use my car I would load much more equipment.

Slightly off topic but for the 7DII reference :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just read several pages of people tearing each other apart over batteries.
Batteries?? It really is getting slow on the forums lately.

Considering battery design and capacity is irrelevant without taking into consideration the equipment's battery economy. Most current systems (including mirrorless) are more than sufficient without "getting in the way." For hybrids shooting stills, DSLRs will always have an advantage without having to power an EVF/LCD continuously, but for video, I can get through a 13 hour day shooting 4K video (with the camera on and off between clips and not continuously) on my Sony bodies and burn through just 2 FZ100 (~33WH) batteries. I believe Canon is similar for the most part since it too has to power the lcd continuously in video mode. Canon's cine cameras are also comparatively great on battery economy. The C200 I shot on had an A30 and A60 battery (135WH total) which lasted me through a 12 hour day too. At least it's a far cry from my RED body that draws 50W-60W and burns through 90WH V-Mounts in an hour and a half regardless of recording or not. Anyhow, I don't think I'm going to sit around and try to hypothesize if the battery capacity is going to let me AF faster or not, as I'm more worried about how many battery changes or extras I need...

Upvote 0
The timing of this conversation is close to my 2.5-day short trip (in 8 days from now) where I will go to birding areas via bus - it's an organized excursion - which means not necessarily the heaviest lens (= not the 500 f/4 II) so it is either the 400 DO II or the 100-400. And a choice between 5DsR and 7DII. They both have the same pixel size => same magnification, the 5DsR has better quality in the lower ISOs but the 7DII focuses easier on very small targets and has a better buffer and frame rate. All these without taking into account the supposedly faster white lens drive and .... I am confused! :) Of course were I to use my car I would load much more equipment.

Easy decision. I have both and would prefer the 5DsR.
But if you want speed take the 7D II, otherwise stick with the 5DsR.

Upvote 0
Anyhow, I don't think I'm going to sit around and try to hypothesize if the battery capacity is going to let me AF faster or not, as I'm more worried about how many battery changes or extras I need...

I have owned 1D's in the past and still have a 1D IV. On the big white sueprtele's the 1D's focus noticeably faster than the 7D and 5D. I have timed acquired focus time in the past. On small lenses it is not consequential. Better camera AF system? or More powerful battery?

It really wouldn't matter if it is the battery, the 1D's battery will not fit in my 7D II.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Easy decision. I have both and would prefer the 5DsR.
But if you want speed take the 7D II, otherwise stick with the 5DsR.
I also prefer the IQ of 5DsR (for the millionth time thanks AlanF for your impressions on 5DsR) but in some cases 7DII will have the focusing/speed advantage (in a boat) and in others (more static shooting) the 5DsR.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

Currently away on a 3-day trip to the Farne Islands on a Puffin photographic trip. We have taken both the 5DSR + 100-400mm II (which my wife monopolises) and the 5DIV + 400mm DO II for me, ok the 5DIV is not the 7DII, but there are some parallels. The 5DSR wins for static shots and slow BIF. But, the 5DIV has been fantastic for the Puffins and other small birds flying like rockets. The 5DSR focuses pretty well on the central 9 points but the 5DIV is faster and works on the lot. The 7DII doesn't focus as fast as the 5DIV but has close to the reach of the 5DSR. So, if you are mainly on the static stuff, I would go for the 5DSR because of its wider fov and better IQ, and I would take the zoom because of its greater versatility and shorter mfd. But, if you are into flying Puffins etc, it's the 7DII.

Edit: Oops Tron, you posted your mail while I was writing my response, which is now partly redundant. The bare 100-400mm II is pretty close to thje 400mm DO II in terms of IQ, and very fast AF.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0