Tamron launches the finest lens in its history with the new fixed focal lens, the SP 35mm F/1.4 Di USD (Model F045), for full-frame DSLR cameras.

Mar 20, 2015
Not too many f1.4 lenses with stabilization out there, especially from 3rd party manufacturers. At f1.4 a tripod might more sense anyway.

Well yes, that's the point of the quizzical responses. They seem to have abandoned the nice line of unique 1.8 VC lenses they were building, instead of continuing down to a 28 / 24 / 18 and going up to a 100. Instead they're getting into a dick-waving competition against Canon, Sigma and Tokina in the 35mm 1.4 space. Why?

Upvote 0
Well yes, that's the point of the quizzical responses. They seem to have abandoned the nice line of unique 1.8 VC lenses they were building, instead of continuing down to a 28 / 24 / 18 and going up to a 100. Instead they're getting into a dick-waving competition against Canon, Sigma and Tokina in the 35mm 1.4 space. Why?

Are prime lenses in the 35mm / 50mm / 85mm range more desired than 24mm/28mm? I wish they had a 24mm but when I think about it I wouldn't use it too much.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
There are classic Prime lens trinities but everyone's needs and interests very so much I do not think the market is solely based upon them any longer. I am one of those in what used to be a minority that prefers 28 over 24...it's not so crazy these days. 40 is also one of my favorite focal lengths. The other factor is that going that wide is usually covered by any one of the fantastic ultra wide zooms available and only for specific and not general needs is a 'fast' wide needed. (astro for one)

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
There are classic Prime lens trinities but everyone's needs and interests very so much I do not think the market is solely based upon them any longer. I am one of those in what used to be a minority that prefers 28 over 24...it's not so crazy these days. 40 is also one of my favorite focal lengths. The other factor is that going that wide is usually covered by any one of the fantastic ultra wide zooms available and only for specific and not general needs is a 'fast' wide needed. (astro for one)
My first 35mm camera was a rangefinder with a 45mm lens. I took many of my all-time best pictures with it. The slides have faded somewhat, but the black and white negatives and prints still look good. When I finally got an SLR, I accumulated a good range of prime lenses. Zooms were not so great back then. I found that my trinity was 28, 85, and 200. If those were along, I didn’t miss the others. These days 24 is the new 28 for me. In traveling I find that the 24-100mm equivalent of the G7X II covers almost everything, and the exceptions are almost always covered by stitching to get a wider effect. Likewise, the kit 24-105mm on the 6D2 is my “walkabout” lens. With the 16-35 and the 100-400, I am satisfied with the range covered. I realize that I’ve never taken all three lenses anywhere at the same time or taken any two of them with one of my primes. Most of the time I have enough of an idea what I will shoot that I take just the one lens I need. Probably all of that says more about me than about the market or anything relating to anyone else.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This lens has been anticipated for some time now and touted as Tamron's finest optics yet. I think the lack of stabilization falls into the camp of VC/IS is for tele primarily and they want to showcase the other optical aspects and keep it from being too large. The 85 is a great lens but it is very heavy. I am very satisfies by the images I can get with it and from what I hear and read, the 35 will be far better. I expect a 35 1.4L ll rival with newer coatings and Canon level AF in a 3rd party lens.
Let's not forget that Tamron's wonderful 15-30 has VC, but that lens is a beast and "only" f/2.8. The VC worked very well on the one I had. Due to my great experience with that lens I would be willing to consider Tamron again in the future.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Let's not forget that Tamron's wonderful 15-30 has VC, but that lens is a beast and "only" f/2.8. The VC worked very well on the one I had. Due to my great experience with that lens I would be willing to consider Tamron again in the future.
I am completely surprised that the 85 SP does not get more accolades. It is a marvel of a lens, I liken it to my 135 f/2L. The color, the contrast, sharpness and amazing AF speed and accuracy for a 3rd party lens. If the 35 1.4 is better as they say, it will be a giant slayer (EF 351.4L ll)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Shoot crop with a 40! (ok, there aren't any that 'fast' I know but you are the first 65mm fan I have heard, it may take a while for that petition to get enough signatures)
I reckon a 65 f/1.4 or 65 f/1.2 might be good! I've been saying for a while that I'd be interested in a fast prime around 60 to 65 mm. I reckon 35, 60/65 and 135 might make a good set.

And I remember seeing this article a while ago too :)
https://petapixel.com/2018/11/23/dear-camera-cos-please-make-a-fast-lens-between-50mm-and-85mm/

Upvote 0
I have (or had) Tamron 35 VC, 45 VC, 24-70 G2, 70-200 G2. Just a few things to know if one is new to Tamrons. Most (and probably all) Tamrons are not really suitable for video, since the aperture is not stepless, resulting in very noticeable clicking noise as the aperture changes, easily picked up by an external Rode mic attached to the hotshoe. The workaround is to use fixed-aperture, but then the autofocus noise is also noticeable, much more than any Canon EF or RF lens I have (I've experienced this on the 35/45 primes, and the 24-70 G2). The bigger issue but probably not as consistent is autofocus accuracy. It is hit-and-miss for me on the 5d4, and the 70-200 G2 was significantly less accurate (so much so that I returned it). However, on the R, it is much more accurate versus the 5d4, although not as good as RF lenses. Tamron religiously does not honor warranties for gray market purchases, whereas Canon usually does, and the only lens that broke on me (and I baby all of my lenses) was a Tamron 35 VC. As one comment brought out, the 70-200 G2 is one of the first SP lenses made in China, where usually SP lenses are made in Japan. New factory usually means growing pains with QC, maybe not a concern depending on your point of view. The current design of Tamron lenses uses a flat smooth black surface that is easy to mark and scratch, wish they would go with the Canon EF textured material that is more resilient to markings (I have the same complaint against EFM lenses). And finally, check IQ versus Canon and don't assume it's close, sometimes it is (eg. 24-70 f/2.8) and sometimes it is not (eg. 15-30 f/2.8), reference: https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=1426

Upvote 0
I am completely surprised that the 85 SP does not get more accolades. It is a marvel of a lens, I liken it to my 135 f/2L. The color, the contrast, sharpness and amazing AF speed and accuracy for a 3rd party lens. If the 35 1.4 is better as they say, it will be a giant slayer (EF 351.4L ll)

I have both the Tamron 45mm and 85mm 1.8's and they are razor sharp and awesome lenses. Both are my two main primes and the 45mm is almost always on my main shooter. It would take a lot for me to replace either one.
The 45mm is so good I'm not even interested in Tamrons new 35mm. My 45mm turns into a 35mm simply by taking two steps backwards! lol

ADDED: Plus I wouldn't want this new 35mm simply because it doesn't have VC.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0