Puffins, Guillemots and Razorbills

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The Auks, like Puffins, are fun birds. They congregate in large numbers on cliffs and islands, skim across the water or fly higher like rockets, and carry fish to their chicks. They are a treat to watch and photograph. So, I thought to start a thread dedicated to them, beginning with some shots from the Farne Islands, off the coast at Seahouses in Northumberland, which we visited this week. Here are two shots of Puffins flying back to their burrows with sand eels (taken on 5DIV with 400mm DO II).

Reactions: 7 users
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Excellent pictures, digital.
d055.gif

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Guillemot. Image taken on the Isle of May, Scotland.
5DSR + 100-400mk2 @ 300mm
View attachment 185029
Miken - a fine sharp image from my favourite of 5DSR and 100-400mm II for regular use! Here's one in flight taken on Farne in the last week with my favourite combo for small fast birds winging it, the 5DIV and 400mm DO II .

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
View attachment 185030
Miken - a fine sharp image from my favourite of 5DSR and 100-400mm II for regular use! Here's one in flight taken on Farne in the last week with my favourite combo for small fast birds winging it, the 5DIV and 400mm DO II .

View attachment 185031
Great shot. I held a 400DO and body for the first time recently and I'm sorely tempted, I was amazed at how light it is. I've already told myself no more gear though!

Upvote 0
Nice one.
I've done a couple of sessions on the Farnes, several years ago now, with a chap I think called Billy Shears or similar. I really enjoyed it as well the cracking fish and chips in a seahouses cafe after being put back onshore. Farnes were also good for Shag, Arctic Tern, and Eider. Many Seals are viewable too just before landing.
Best,
Mike.
The Auks, like Puffins, are fun birds. They congregate in large numbers on cliffs and islands, skim across the water or fly higher like rockets, and carry fish to their chicks. They are a treat to watch and photograph. So, I thought to start a thread dedicated to them, beginning with some shots from the Farne Islands, off the coast at Seahouses in Northumberland, which we visited this week. Here are two shots of Puffins flying back to their burrows with sand eels (taken on 5DIV with 400mm DO II).
View attachment 184998View attachment 184999

Upvote 0
I've just returned from the Saltee Islands with Guy Edwardes. 5DIII 400mm f2.8 LIS and converters. We had very changeable conditions. Direct sun, over cast and downright heavy rain over our 6 sessions on the island. But it offered a wide variety of conditions to shoot in. Unfortunately, the wind was in the wrong direction for landing / flight / take off shots. So I concentrated on arty backlit, Silhouette and portrait type of images instead:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0