The RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS is coming soon

May 11, 2017
Please pardon what I"m guessing is likely a stupid question....
But really, what is the use for such a SLOW lens in general? Is this for only if you are planning to shoot on nice sunny days, or planning on using flash/strobe only?

Thanks in advance,

c
Well, it is st
But really, what is the use for such a SLOW lens in general? Is this for only if you are planning to shoot on nice sunny days, or planning on using flash/strobe only?

Thanks in advance,

c

It is stabilized, which helps. Also, on vacation who wants to take pictures on cloudy days anyway?

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

Thanks in advance,

c

In most of the situations outdoors you can shoot easily at F5.6, F8, even in overcast/cloudy days, without using high ISO. It's the perfect travel lens combined with a 35mm prime for indoors and low light situations.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Thanks in advance,

c
f/4 in full frame is not that slow. It would gather the same amount of light as a f/1.56 EF-S

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
It's still faster than 100-400 with a teleconverter.

Being able to get acceptable images at ISO 3200-6400 helps.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Thanks in advance,

c
It isn't always true. I shot the below photo with a Canon XSi and 55-250 many years ago. 18 second exposure @250mm f/5.6 ISO 100 and 4 miles across the bay. So when we are gear limited, we can find a way to use the slow lenses if we have to. Some people can't afford fast lenses. This lens is for them.

Attachments

• finalskyline2WEB.jpg
    finalskyline2WEB.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

Thanks in advance,

c
As a backpacker, I am willing to trade speed for smaller size.

As a kayaker, I hate the idea of changing lenses in the boat.

I think that there are going to be a lot of RP’s sold with this lens in the kit.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
As a backpacker, I am willing to trade speed for smaller size.

As a kayaker, I hate the idea of changing lenses in the boat.

I think that there are going to be a lot of RP’s sold with this lens in the kit.
Don, have you ever taken a several days trip and camped on the bank? Just wondering. I've thought about canoeing the length of the Mississippi river in a big expedition type canoe.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Don, have you ever taken a several days trip and camped on the bank? Just wondering. I've thought about canoeing the length of the Mississippi river in a big expedition type canoe.
Canoeing the Mississippi is no small challenge. The Mississippi is the National interstate highway for river traffic. You must go through locks and share the river with massive barges.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Canoeing the Mississippi is no small challenge. The Mississippi is the National interstate highway for river traffic. You must go through locks and share the river with massive barges.
True, but it has been done. doingmiles.com I might try when I get a little older. I'm sure there are many dangers too.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
f/4 in full frame is not that slow. It would gather the same amount of light as a f/1.56 EF-S

I had to read your comment literary three time to even understand your point.
You are grossly incorrect. Full frame or not, exposure Values will be identical for a FF or crop sensor camera body.
Angle of view will be different, high iso performance will be different but that is due to crop sensor inferior high iso abilities, not lens.
F4 in full frame is a full stop slower than F2.8. And even shooting withF2.8 zooms, I frequently reaching for a fast prime to keep iso levels within my comfort zone on 5D IV (6400)

Upvote 0