Canon’s EOS-1D X Mark II equivalent mirrorless is coming sooner than originally thought [CR1]

Jan 16, 2019
At 200 each, it's also easy to leave it permanently attached for an R for a lot of professionals. Yes it's a potential point of failure but if you have 2-3 different lenses with the adapter mounted you can quickly swap a flaky adapter to another one. I really think it's pretty much a non issue in action. You are much more likely to have an issue within a lens than just with the adapter.
You leave the adapter attached to the lens, and this will eliminate the additional mount/interface issue?
Maybe I cannot make myself clear: 1Dx is not only about speed, ergonomy and high Iso, it is also about reliability under harsh conditions. Leaving the adapter attached to the lens doesn't have anything to do with it. There is still one more connection that may fail/break. No sane photographer will use that combination at Olympics or in desert or ...

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
A TC is exactly an adapter that pros use without a second thought today.
Moreover, "pushing to the limits" for these sports and wildlife pros means high frame rates while firmly locked down on a tripod.
We are not talking combat photography here.
No it isn't, and it is. A TC is a must sometimes. And if you need to use TC with the adapter? Ask sports photographers if they want to use adapted lenses, and see their reaction :)
1Dx is a workhorse, Canikon don't even have rotating mode dial because rotating dials might be prone to failure (low probability but it is there).

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
The holy trinity lenses will be there in time for this body. You'll also have an 85 and 50 1.2 and a 35 1.8, all RF mount. Short of supertelephotos/teleconverters that covers every major category of lens reasonably well from 15 - 200mm and wide/medium/short tele fixed, though a 24 1.4 (or perhaps 1.2?) is a bit of a gap for some people.
You will also need the 100-400 in addition to the trinity. As a wildlife shooter,, that makes my trinity more than the 16-35. The other big issue for most pros will be battery life and endurance in harsh environments.

Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
The Olympic Games at home in Tokyo is THE opportunity for Canon for the next ~50 years, before they get again this event. They will absolutely do everything to present the best of the best until then. How can you have doubts for that? Then maybe a long sleep can begin....
So this means of course a 1DX 3 and very propably a RF pendant for it (named RX?) and a high megapixel (named RS?) along with the most used Lenses there...

After 2020 it is interesting, what product line they support more...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
And one that can be on all the time for instant response without draining the battery and also cope with staring through the evf.

I believe the biggest problem Canon has when it comes to a pro RF body/1DXII replacement, is the viewfinder. The EOS R is supposed to have one of the best EVFs on the market, but to tell you the truth, I hate using it in sunlight, not to mention snow and sun at the same time. For that reason alone I have kept my DSLR and EF lenses, along with my EOS R and RF lenses. If I had to choose one system today, it would be the DSLR, due to the OVF alone.

The R and it’s EVF has it’s advantages over OVFs in indoor lighting conditions, but overall, I much prefer the OVF.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I believe the biggest problem Canon has when it comes to a pro RF body/1DXII replacement, is the viewfinder. The EOS R is supposed to have one of the best EVFs on the market, but to tell you the truth, I hate using it in sunlight, not to mention snow and sun at the same time. For that reason alone I have kept my DSLR and EF lenses, along with my EOS R and RF lenses. If I had to choose one system today, it would be the DSLR, due to the OVF alone.

The R and it’s EVF has it’s advantages over OVFs in indoor lighting conditions, but overall, I much prefer the OVF.

I for one say "bring on the giant battery that will allow my high-quality EVF to run all day" :p

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
All I can say is that as usual expectations are way to high leaving us with page after page of gnashing of teeth when it does arrive. Then, when the dust settles it'll be .... just another solid Canon performer. I hope I'm wrong in my restraint.

As others have said, I think the viewfinder is a the sticking point, as well as battery life. It must be great in all circumstances, otherwise the other advantages tend to pale unless it's strictly a second camera. My daughter used my R and it's hers now, but shooting together, clearly she was battery disadvantaged. RX must have a super battery.

Jack

Upvote 0
All I can say is that as usual expectations are way to high leaving us with page after page of gnashing of teeth when it does arrive. Then, when the dust settles it'll be .... just another solid Canon performer. I hope I'm wrong in my restraint.

As others have said, I think the viewfinder is a the sticking point, as well as battery life. It must be great in all circumstances, otherwise the other advantages tend to pale unless it's strictly a second camera. My daughter used my R and it's hers now, but shooting together, clearly she was battery disadvantaged. RX must have a super battery.

Jack

===

Meh! :\)

Where's the 4:3 aspect ratio, 8192 x 6144 pixel (50.3 Megapixel) 60 fps DCI 8K RAW + InterFrame/Intraframe compressed 16-bits per colour channel video AND STILLS, 6.7+ microns per photosite, 56mm x 42mm MF low-noise, high sensitivity image sensor camera with built-in hot-swappable, TWO of multi-terabyte (4 TB each!) SSD hard drives AND rotatable OLED flip screen , built-in high pixel count OLED viewfinder AND swivelling perfectly-form-fitting, sculpted and non-slip, textured hand-grip AND a super-high capacity ALL-DAY Battery (8+ hours video and many thousands of stills) ???

When is THAT type of camera coming from you Canon?

Ooooooooh It's coming ........ and soooner than you think !!!!!

Upvote 0
I’ve had the opportunity to own the Panasonic S1R for the past few months. The viewfinder and the monitor on that are spectacular. It changed my opinion about how I can tolerate in OVF. It blew the Canon R’s out of the water, and it was no slouch for a mirrorless camera.

I’m sure the flagship releases coming from Sony and Canon will use tech such as these.

The real question in my mind is whether or not Canon is capable of putting together a camera that does high frames per second while also doing all of the various calculations that are typically seen as an advantage with a mirrorless camera.

I will be much relieved if I see a very high FPS number along with an adequate megapixels number. My Sony A9 does 20 frames per second at 24 megapixels. Those 24 megapixels seem closer to the 5D Mark four’s 30 megapixels, because the A9 doesn’t have an AA filter.

I would like to see a 1D version of the mirrorless camera do something between 28 and 30 mp. My current expectation is that this will not happen, that Canon will help resolve its throughput issue by not improving the 20 mp resolution beyond 24mp.

I am excited to see what the new flagships are going to be both for Sony and for Canon.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
===

Meh! :\)

Where's the 4:3 aspect ratio, 8192 x 6144 pixel (50.3 Megapixel) 60 fps DCI 8K RAW + InterFrame/Intraframe compressed 16-bits per colour channel video AND STILLS, 6.7+ microns per photosite, 56mm x 42mm MF low-noise, high sensitivity image sensor camera with built-in hot-swappable, TWO of multi-terabyte (4 TB each!) SSD hard drives AND rotatable OLED flip screen , built-in high pixel count OLED viewfinder AND swivelling perfectly-form-fitting, sculpted and non-slip, textured hand-grip AND a super-high capacity ALL-DAY Battery (8+ hours video and many thousands of stills) ???

When is THAT type of camera coming from you Canon?

Ooooooooh It's coming ........ and soooner than you think !!!!!

WOW, wouldn't that be amazing! BTW, what's your track record on predictions - can you offer us a % figure?;)

:confused::(:cry:

Jack

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I wonder if the next "pro" camera will be more along the lines of a souped up mirrorless 5Div. Something more along the lines of a Nikon 850 at about the same pixel count, slightly more or slightly less, and 8-9 fps and dual or even quad pixel. This would give the 8000 plus horizontal pixels for high quality 4-binned pixel 4K video.

This would be the ideal sidekick camera to a 1DXiii able to work with the same lenses and provide fallback in case of a failure, plus give access to some superb RX lenses at the shorter focal lengths. Also, this would be more the general pro camera for nearly everything not needing bombproof construction and 12-16 fps. If I were working high end sports, NFL, NBA, NHL, Olympics I would be very happy with this combo, 1DXiii and 400/2.8 and converters, super R with RF 70-200/2.8, RF 24-70/2.8 and perhaps a 15-35/2.8 for just in case. I kinda like that combo for wildlife and general nature work, too.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
You leave the adapter attached to the lens, and this will eliminate the additional mount/interface issue?
Maybe I cannot make myself clear: 1Dx is not only about speed, ergonomy and high Iso, it is also about reliability under harsh conditions. Leaving the adapter attached to the lens doesn't have anything to do with it. There is still one more connection that may fail/break. No sane photographer will use that combination at Olympics or in desert or ...
Yes, but we are not dealing with sane photographers, we are dealing with forum members :)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0