Adobe Reports Record Q2 Revenue

They did not "try". They added another tier.

I do remember it differently. First they have tested raising the price in general. And because the audience created a lots of stir about it, they just added it as another tier, which, in my book, sounds quite differently.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I do remember it differently. First they have tested raising the price in general. And because the audience created a lots of stir about it, they just added it as another tier, which, in my book, sounds quite differently.
They might have tried to hide the ~$10/mo "Photoshop, but not 1TB of cloud storage" plan from their front pages in some regions, but they never tried to make it unavailable, and as far as I know they were only raising prices for it where it was imposed by tax and/or currency conversion rate changes.

Upvote 0
I don’t feel ripped off or exploited. I actually think >$8 a month is a very good deal for what I get, constantly updated professional software that does way more than I ever need.

Compared to the other monthly payments I make Adobe is the least expensive and I need LR/PS a darn sight more than I need the finale to GoT!
I don't feel ripped off or exploited either because I have not given Adobe even one penny of my money since I upgraded to Lightroom 6 four years ago. It still works perfectly, and Adobe can increase their prices as much as they want as I will never take out a subscription for their software.
No doubt Adobe will not care a jot about the loss of my custom, but sooner or later their greed will lead to their demise.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I don't feel ripped off or exploited either because I have not given Adobe even one penny of my money since I upgraded to Lightroom 6 four years ago. It still works perfectly, and Adobe can increase their prices as much as they want as I will never take out a subscription for their software.
No doubt Adobe will not care a jot about the loss of my custom, but sooner or later their greed will lead to their demise.
Yes! Profit = Greed! How un-altruistic of them! $10 a month is just awful! o_O:poop: Happy their employees have jobs and can feed their families, but to actually want to profit? UGH! :rolleyes: That's why I shoot all my clients for free. Profits are evil! (sarcasm)

Upvote 0
Yes! Profit = Greed! How un-altruistic of them! $10 a month is just awful! o_O:poop: Happy their employees have jobs and can feed their families, but to actually want to profit? UGH! :rolleyes: That's why I shoot all my clients for free. Profits are evil! (sarcasm)
There is a big difference between profit and excess profit.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
There is a big difference between profit and excess profit.
Your opinion is excess profit. In other words, you have appointed yourself the moral judge of what is and is not proper. Problem is, you don't get to decide that for others. It seems envy is a prevalent feature in the formation of your world view. One either buys the product or one does not.

But I'll bite: What is Adobe's appropriate profit? Since you seem to be the judge of what is excessive, tell us what the proper profit for Adobe to profit is as a company? How much should Adobe set their sights on that wouldn't be considered greed in your world? Surely you have something in mind. Just remember, people don't have to use Adobe. It is completely voluntary. Could it be that the problem is greed on your end? Not believing you should pay for the labor and skill of others if they should profit more than you arbitrarily think they should?

Adobe provides a living for more than 21,000 persons.

Upvote 0
Your opinion is excess profit. In other words, you have appointed yourself the moral judge of what is and is not proper. Problem is, you don't get to decide that for others. It seems envy is a prevalent feature in the formation of your world view. One either buys the product or one does not.

But I'll bite: What is Adobe's appropriate profit? Since you seem to be the judge of what is excessive, tell us what the proper profit for Adobe to profit is as a company? How much should Adobe set their sights on that wouldn't be considered greed in your world? Surely you have something in mind. Just remember, people don't have to use Adobe. It is completely voluntary. Could it be that the problem is greed on your end? Not believing you should pay for the labor and skill of others if they should profit more than you arbitrarily think they should?

Adobe provides a living for more than 21,000 persons.
The title of the post gives us a clue "Adobe reports record Q2 revenue." This has not been due to the release of some exciting new software but it is simply because of a change to the way they license their existing products. There is now no incentive for Adobe to develop new features because their captive audience will just cough up the £10 per month regardless. That is what I mean by excess profits.
However the jchristina videos demonstrate that it is possible to escape from Adobe' clutches and sooner or later more people will realise that. When that happens Adobe's sales will fall and they might just regret what they have done.
It has happened many times before and companies that were once seen as invincible brand leaders are now no longer trading.

Upvote 0
Yeah. One is a number and the other is a judgement call.
I think we need to consider the question of sustainability. When one company generates a lot of additional revenue overnight their competitors will rise to the challenge and will something that represents better value for money. When that happens Adobe will start to lose customers and as soon as that becomes a trend their dominant position will be under threat.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I think we need to consider the question of sustainability. When one company generates a lot of additional revenue overnight their competitors will rise to the challenge and will something that represents better value for money.
I think you need to stop confusing revenue with income.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2016
USA
Anybody else notice a big performance hit in the latest feature upgrade to Lightroom Classic? I like the new texture slider but I've experience a significant slowdown in the develop module. If I start with a high MP file, drop a few gradients, do a few small clones and then apply dehaze, texture and sharpeing I'm now getting significant lag. I might try deleting the app and reinstalling. Optimizing the catalog doesn't seem to help.
Yes, with 32 GB ram and 6GB on the video card. I ran the WIN 10 compatibility program and it suggested running in WIN 8 simulation which sped things up dramatically. Leaving it there for now.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The title of the post gives us a clue "Adobe reports record Q2 revenue." This has not been due to the release of some exciting new software but it is simply because of a change to the way they license their existing products. There is now no incentive for Adobe to develop new features because their captive audience will just cough up the £10 per month regardless. That is what I mean by excess profits.
However the jchristina videos demonstrate that it is possible to escape from Adobe' clutches and sooner or later more people will realise that. When that happens Adobe's sales will fall and they might just regret what they have done.
It has happened many times before and companies that were once seen as invincible brand leaders are now no longer trading.
The fact is that Adobe continues to update the product and add new features. I'm not surprised you don't know this since you have cut the umbilical cord. ;) Those updates come automatically with frequent updates and bug fixes to the software. One doesn't have to pay to upgrade a Suite to get the updates. I remember my first Adobe purchase of Photo Shop. If I recall correctly, it was hundreds of $$$. Upgrades weren't inexpensive either. Revenue and profit are two different things. It seems Adobe's pricing model makes it far easier for people to get the software with very low cost, and get the updates at no additional cost.

Again, your description of being in "Adobe's clutches", "excessive profits" etc. seem overblown if you ask me... as though the corporation is sinister. Do you work for a competitor?

Of course, get and use what you like. For me, $10 a month is very cost effective. Worth every penny.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The fact is that Adobe continues to update the product and add new features. I'm not surprised you don't know this since you have cut the umbilical cord. ;) Those updates come automatically with frequent updates and bug fixes to the software. One doesn't have to pay to upgrade a Suite to get the updates. I remember my first Adobe purchase of Photo Shop. If I recall correctly, it was hundreds of $$$. Upgrades weren't inexpensive either. Revenue and profit are two different things. It seems Adobe's pricing model makes it far easier for people to get the software with very low cost, and get the updates at no additional cost.

Again, your description of being in "Adobe's clutches", "excessive profits" etc. seem overblown if you ask me... as though the corporation is sinister. Do you work for a competitor?

Of course, get and use what you like. For me, $10 a month is very cost effective. Worth every penny.
No I do not work for a competitor, but I am approaching retirement and so I a do not want to commit to any subscription services until I am sure what my long term income will be. Anyway Lightroom 6 is fine for me and I really don't care if I am missing all the updates. No doubt one day my camera will not be supported any more so at that point I will need to decide what to do.
Ultimately the market will decide whether Adobe offer value for money or not. I just feel that with Adobe making such huge profits they are likely to attract more competitors and their dominant position will then be weakened.
There are plenty of examples of companies that were too big to fail and yet they did fail, often with tragic consequences. Greed has a tendency to blind people to the facts and they choose to ignore the lessons that history teaches us.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
But how?

Do you not you realise that Adobe has you in its clutches?

:rolleyes:
How exactly "in its clutches"? If I were to cancel my subscription right now, with no plans of starting again later, I would still have all the completed work in large format jpg files in a worst case scenario. Furthermore, I could plan ahead, and spend the last month of my subscription preparing the best work from the past five years for further printing in the future...But how much of your past body of work are you planning to rework with PS at this point?

As for work being done right now and in the future, just go with a competitor. You are fretting about convenience, which Adobe leverages, to be sure, not an existential crisis!

Regarding the catalog, my current Windows directory structure exactly mirrors my LR catalog. Yes, I'd lose keywords, but I can still easily find images by date. Perhaps keywording would be the most tedious rebuilding exercise, but, to be honest, I don't much keep up with key-wording except for shots that are to be used only as backgrounds or textures. (Does anybody know a way to export the keywords??? That would be sweet for somebody leaving LR.)

And if you argue that no other program works as well as Adobe, then your choice would be to pay up or compromise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
How exactly "in its clutches"? If I were to cancel my subscription right now, with no plans of starting again later, I would still have all the completed work in large format jpg files in a worst case scenario. Furthermore, I could plan ahead, and spend the last month of my subscription preparing the best work from the past five years for further printing in the future...But how much of your past body of work are you planning to rework with PS at this point?

As for work being done right now and in the future, just go with a competitor. You are fretting about convenience, which Adobe leverages, to be sure, not an existential crisis!

Regarding the catalog, my current Windows directory structure exactly mirrors my LR catalog. Yes, I'd lose keywords, but I can still easily find images by date. Perhaps keywording would be the most tedious rebuilding exercise, but, to be honest, I don't much keep up with key-wording except for shots that are to be used only as backgrounds or textures. (Does anybody know a way to export the keywords??? That would be sweet for somebody leaving LR.)

And if you argue that no other program works as well as Adobe, then your choice would be to pay up or compromise.
You're directing your indignation in the wrong direction. Please make these points to Ian...

Upvote 0