Canon working on another f/2 zoom lens for the RF mount [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have been told that Canon is hard at work on another f/2 zoom for the RF mount. This would go with the already available and incredible Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM.
The focal length of this zoom lens is unknown at the time of writing this. However, the source did say this could end up being a “second holy trinity” of lenses for the RF mount. The current “holy trinity” is generally accepted to be the RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS, RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS and RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS.
More to come…

Continue reading...

Sep 26, 2018
I'm betting on a longer zoom for the next one. We've already seen Canon patents for portrait-range zooms, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 70-135 or something, perhaps they can stretch it even longer.

I do expect that this next one will cost even more than the 28-70, since it will be either wider or longer than the "standard" types of focal ranges.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I'm betting on a longer zoom for the next one. We've already seen Canon patents for portrait-range zooms, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 70-135 or something, perhaps they can stretch it even longer.

Agreed, with the patents out there for a 70-130mm F/2 I wouldn't be surprised if that's what we're going to get. 70-150mm f/2 even would be really sweet, close enough to 200mm to not be a huge loss, and a whole stop brighter. Add image stabilization and you have me sold! I would rather them cut down on the long end and keep this handholdable than to go all the way to 200/2 and make it a great white.

Wasn't there a 14-24mm f/1.4 mentioned before? They could do something crazy on the wide end, too.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Agreed, with the patents out there for a 70-130mm F/2 I wouldn't be surprised if that's what we're going to get. 70-150mm f/2 even would be really sweet, close enough to 200mm to not be a huge loss, and a whole stop brighter. Add image stabilization and you have me sold! I would rather them cut down on the long end and keep this handholdable than to go all the way to 200/2 and make it a great white.

Wasn't there a 14-24mm f/1.4 mentioned before? They could do something crazy on the wide end, too.

The wide end would be welcome at this end. 10mm would be awesome, 12mm would be OK. The big heavy superwide lenses need a tripod mount.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Unrelated to this f2 rumor, but I wonder if the RF mount would make a f4 100-400 in the current form factor possible. I would think they could at least hold the f4.5 longer before dropping to f5.6. I have both the 100-400 II and the 200-400. It is a huge increase in size/weight to go from the f4.5-f5.6 to a constant f4 through the zoom range. I can’t remember if the RF Mount helps more on wide angle or telephoto. It would be a win even if they could knock 1/2 stop off the range.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Unrelated to this f2 rumor, but I wonder if the RF mount would make a f4 100-400 in the current form factor possible. I would think they could at least hold the f4.5 longer before dropping to f5.6. I have both the 100-400 II and the 200-400. It is a huge increase in size/weight to go from the f4.5-f5.6 to a constant f4 through the zoom range. I can’t remember if the RF Mount helps more on wide angle or telephoto. It would be a win even if they could knock 1/2 stop off the range.

Helps more on wide lenses, shouldn't make any significant difference for telephoto lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I’ve been shooting an 80D/70d combo with sigma 18-35 and 50-100 1.8 which has held me off from full frame for years, but the 28-70 f2 immediately caught my attention, and then the rf 70-200 2.8 IS was previewed as a tiny lens compared to normal 70-200, and that got me thinking - they might be planning an f2 telephoto if they can make a 70-200 that small, so a 70-150 f2 or something would be ideal.

Add to that a pro body with dual card slots, ibis and a joystick instead of the Touch Bar, and I’ll invest in that system, even if it is at the expense of a new car

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
The sole point of the f/2 zooms (to me) would be to replace my need for ultra-fast primes. Without IBIS, I can’t see that happening, but with it, I could live with the loss of a stop (1.2-1.4 on the primes vs f/2 on the zooms) assuming the image quality is impeccable. On that last note, I haven’t seen evidence that the 28-70 can actually compete with primes. Perhaps a 70-150 would be a different story.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The sole point of the f/2 zooms (to me) would be to replace my need for ultra-fast primes. Without IBIS, I can’t see that happening, but with it, I could live with the loss of a stop (1.2-1.4 on the primes vs f/2 on the zooms) assuming the image quality is impeccable. On that last note, I haven’t seen evidence that the 28-70 can actually compete with primes. Perhaps a 70-150 would be a different story.
What kind of evidence should we be looking for? Serious question.

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
This RF mount looks like it is going to become a game changer, I’m no techy expert but somehow according to the patents already discovered and what has been made it is allowing Canon to make ground-breaking glass (no pun intended)

The lens I’m finding myself adapting most at present is my EF 17-40 F4 so what I’d like to see next is something along those lines keeping it F4 so it can be compact. I don’t mind adapting my bigger glass so much, such as my 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 as they are big anyway, but I’d love to be able to reduce the size and weight of my 17-40 F4 and lose the adaptor (please Canon!)

I only have the RF 35 1.8 at present an awesome lens but not always wide enough to use all the time, but it feels beautiful when attached to the EOS-R so for the rest of my glass I’m still adapting.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
What kind of evidence should we be looking for? Serious question.

To be honest, the only comparisons I’ve seen between fast RF primes and the 28-70 have been people shooting test charts. This is not a substitute for real world evaluation. In charts, the 28-70 does not compare well in terms of sharpness.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
To be honest, the only comparisons I’ve seen between fast RF primes and the 28-70 have been people shooting test charts. This is not a substitute for real world evaluation. In charts, the 28-70 does not compare well in terms of sharpness.
I've not looked at charts. However, I have seen photos from people on flickr and center sharpness looks great to me. For portrait/fashion work, that is all that matters to me (besides color and AF.). However, at the present time I can't afford it anyway. ;) Vignetting doesn't bother me either.

Upvote 0

Busted Knuckles

Enjoy this breath and the next
Oct 2, 2013

Connect to a 50 or better mp sensor and there would be a whole lot if takers.

Upvote 0

Nord0306

EOS R6
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2018
Can anyone tell me why canon is creating heavy, bulky lenses on a smaller mirrorless body? The mirrorless rf system is heavier than a dslr ef-s system. Wasn't mirrorless supposed to be the lighter system?
Mirrorless can be lighter or not, but it doesn’t have to be. I’m shoot an 80D partly because of its compromise in size, as well as features. I’m looking forward to having a full frame body that I can put a lightweight lens on if I want or a heavy lens if I need. I’m still on the sidelines because the R and RP don’t quite offer enough incentive to upgrade.

With regards to the new lens, I expect this to be a UWA lens. They will chop one side of the range, probably the wide end like they did with the 28-70. I’d guess they can get a 16-35 f/2 to fit with the same 95mm filters. Maybe it will be 17, but that would make most of us happy. There aren’t many current full frame options below 20mm faster than f/2.8.

Upvote 0