Does a firmware update require len/camera to be AF microadjusted again

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
The point is: I don't prefer fancy new features via firmware updates because I'm a bit old-fashioned and those cameras don't seem to be ready to me at least... I want to know what I pay for. If a camera doesn't fit my needs and/or budget then I look for something else. And not expect its flaws to be fixed in the future...
Another example of "Canon can't win...".

People complain that Canon rarely uses firmware updates in order to delivery new functionality (yes it happens, but far less frequently than with other manufacturers); and you're complaining about the idea that they might do what other people complain about them not doing...

:rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Another example of "Canon can't win...".

People complain that Canon rarely uses firmware updates in order to delivery new functionality (yes it happens, but far less frequently than with other manufacturers); and you're complaining about the idea that they might do what other people complain about them not doing...

:rolleyes:
This is my opinion. Others have different ones...:) Did I complain? I didn't want to. Only express my opinion, nothing more....:)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Just one more reason why you should never be an early adopter.

1DxII had the CF Card image static/noise issue with one brand of card -- unfortunately it was the brand they were including with the camera.

The R needed silent shutter and autofocus fixes with firmware. (Yeah, it depends on your perspective. Some would say they added features. Others would say those features should have been included in the first place.)

I'm fairly forgiving of many firmware fixes as it's got to be near impossible to identify every conceivable issue before releasing a product. In my view it's just the price you pay for being the first kid on the block with the new toy. Wait six to 12 months and let the price drop and others discover the bugs.
I don't plan to be an early adopter, cos I'm not that rich...:D
I bought my 1DX used on eBay. Lenses too, but new. I am a bit afraid of cameras turning into gadgets... That's why I don't want new features via updates. Fixes are always welcome, I totally agree with you.

Upvote 0
I heard from Rudy Winston, the tech guy at Canon. Here is his opinion on a firmware update affecting AF microadjustment

in some cases, they may CANCEL a previously-input AF Microadjustment (return it to zero), but otherwise, as far as I know, a typical firmware upgrade won’t alter the AF system or change the required adjustment values.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I heard from Rudy Winston, the tech guy at Canon. Here is his opinion on a firmware update affecting AF microadjustment

in some cases, they may CANCEL a previously-input AF Microadjustment (return it to zero), but otherwise, as far as I know, a typical firmware upgrade won’t alter the AF system or change the required adjustment values.
The reason for AFMA on the body side (not the lens) is misalignment of the AF sensor relative to the image sensor, that is the mechanical arrangement - not firmware. That is why Neuro wrote that dropping the camera could lead to a need for recalibration but not firmware update, and I wrote I could not see why a firmware update would need it.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
This is my opinion. Others have different ones...:) Did I complain? I didn't want to. Only express my opinion, nothing more....:)
No need to take it personally - I'm just pointing out that there's no such thing as pleasing all the people, all the time.

Upvote 0