New mid-level DSLR and EOS M5 Mark II the next ILC’s from Canon? [CR1]

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
I can't see any advantage Canon had in making the flange 20mm instead of say 17mm (the EF-M is 18mm) and this is the biggest reason I considered moving from EF to Sony instead of to RF.

Not an optical engineer, but a slightly longer flange distance improves the angle of incidence on pixels at the edge of the sensor, potentially resulting in better light collection, and less bending of the light, so possibly better handling of chromatic aberration. I’d love an actual student of optics to correct me. I’m running off physics that’s 20 years of of date and mostly forgotten.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
...Or you run your server host out of floor space, AC, and power supply, and you just can't cram more hard drives in no matter how hard you try. And moving or adding hosts is prohibitive because of red tape.

Been there too. The first time you encounter it is quite the shock. ‘But all I want to do is add one more server. What do you mean it’s impossible? How else am I going to get that extra card slot?’

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
not the most common failure scenario in embedded software

I suspect it’s part in jest, and part pointing out that when you’re not a professional in the field, you have no idea what very real and practical limits you might strike. The first time I was told our data center couldn’t add our new server because they didn’t have the power was a surprise to me, and seemed like absolute idiocy.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
My EOS-1DSMkIII + M --> R trade wasn't a question of market timing as the two old bodies were SO old. I think I missed the boat on the EF 50/1.2, as the prices seemed a lot lower than I remember just 6 months ago, and perhaps due to a slight oversupply causing it to become a buyer's market. I sold my 85/1.2 to "beat the rush" to the RF models and got a good price for it. I'm in a quandary about the 70-200/2.8IS MkI: sell now and be without until the RF comes out, and possibly find out the RF is a dog and I didn't want to trade anyway? Or do I wait until the RF comes out and then take a $150 hit or something on the old zoom? Answer: I think I'm safe waiting, as the 70-200 is one of the most common L lenses and therefore there's going to be far less impact from the numerically tiny number of people already using the R.

In another thread you talk about leaving your Ferrari at home because it’s raining, and in this one you’re in a quandary over $150.
Huh.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I am so excited about the new sensor. Mainly about the megapixel and low light performance.
I also hope its bsi!

i wonder if its really gonna be 24mp, as claimed. 24mp is a good sweetspot for apsc, but im skeptical if it is really going to be 24mp, because a higher mp count usualy is good for marketing.

Sad that the 7diii probably wont come this year, but it was the same with the 7d ii. First came the 70d, which introduced the new sensor, then about 1 year later came the 7d ii.

so it can be projected that we will see the 7d iii at the end of 2020.
I'm no longer optimistic about a 7D Mark III anymore.

Upvote 0
I'm no longer optimistic about a 7D Mark III anymore.

im a bit more skeptical too.

maybe the new high mp model is where its at. no high frame rates but i mostly only do animal portraits anyway. so no high fps needed. still sad for the rugged body, af and controlls tho. i hope the upcoming full frame high mp model can statisfy my needs. guess it will be the new wildlife cam for me.

Upvote 0

hamish

Canon 7D II
CR Pro
Apr 15, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
anything new on the M front? a previous rumor said first half of 2019 which has come and gone without any info...
any chance the new M and lenses will come out with the G5X/G7X?

The later rumo(u)rs indicated late July/August for the M announcement. Patience, grasshopper :) Although I really want to know what it will be too, as I'm looking to upgrade a 200D. I'll either get the M5 Mk. II and EF adapter or, if that's too expensive for my limited budget, a used 80D on ebay.

Upvote 0