Patent: Tiny Canon 100-400mm lens and camera

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon continues further development of its miniature lenses for what appears to be smartphone applications.
This is a patent (USPTO) for the Canon 100-400mm camera/lens that can fit in the palm of a child’s hand.
This patent explains more about the camera, along with lenses that will mount to it. In theory, Canon could develop a range of different focal lengths that will attach to the camera unit.
Could this be the birth of a tiny new camera and lens system? I don’t know, but it’s definitely an interesting concept that appears to be deep into development.

mini1004001-168x168.jpg

mini1004002-168x168.jpg

Continue reading...

Jul 21, 2010
I can’t wait for the 600mm version. It better be at least F4.
Yes looks like a potential spy tool alright. Interesting if it will make it to the market
Spying is nothing new to Canon. In the late 1980s we barrowed a small Canon video camera for a motorcycle mount shot. The camera had previously been used by an alphabet-agency (CIA, FBI, NSA). Spying is what they do.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Depends on sensor size, of course.
there wasnt any equivalent crap talk. they sayed 100-400mm
with couple cm lens its around f16
maybe they use that new super DR sensor to this
Or something like that video camera what can shoot on night 4million iso
some kind of cheap version from that. or why not same sensor ,would be coolest toy ever.
Pocket sized looking glass with camera option,would think this replaces binoculars. could sell lot

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting concept and maybe a winner if it comes to the market. What I have seen on my holidays is that there are vast amounts of smartphone shooters, no compact shooters, some system camera (SLR or ML) shooters and very very few (incl. me) with a tripod. A tele zoom option with high IQ for smart phones would be a great accessory for lots of people and might bring some sales back to Canon.

About the 100-400 / sensor size discussion IMO it will be the equiv focal length for a smaller sensor.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
Spying is nothing new to Canon. In the late 1980s we barrowed a small Canon video camera for a motorcycle mount shot. The camera had previously been used by an alphabet-agency (CIA, FBI, NSA). Spying is what they do.
Spying ISN’T what they do according to some in the media and a political bias. It’s “investigating” lol

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
That is a wonderful concept, especially for drones which needs light but powerful gear. On the other hand, should a drone be equipted with 400mm lens... spying on people would be a lot easier...

A 400mm lens on a small drone would need some serious IBIS functionality, as the vibration from the motors is substantial. Not to mention the instability from the flight control system. Folks like DJI use wide angle lenses to 'gloss over' those limitations.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0