Canon working on another f/2 zoom lens for the RF mount [CR1]

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The only reason why I really want to see f/2 holy trinity is hope that it will somehow push down prices of f/2.8 holy trinity.
It won’t. They are a vastly different tools. How price of a sub compact cars push down prices of delivery pickup tracks? Different purpose and different audience.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I would say that todays "trinity" are 11-24mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm or 11-24mm, 24-105mm, 100-400mm

I still think the 11-24mm is a niche range. The 11-24 can't share filters with the 24-70, is a stop slower and can't cover 35mm in a pinch. I still think that the 16-35 range is still well regarded as part of the trinity. It can handle landscapes decently, but it can also cover indoor low-light event work and portraits in a pinch.

Upvote 0
I would say that todays "trinity" are 11-24mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm or 11-24mm, 24-105mm, 100-400mm
11-24 is too wide for frequent use, and the front element makes it very hard to use filters - a suitable filter holder will be very bulky. 16-35 is more versatile as a part of the trinity.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I'm rooting for a 24-135L f2 IS. The lens would never leave the body...
correction: an excellent 24-200 /f2.0 lens Would never leave a body for an event shooter. And I would sell my second body ASAP.
And I do not mind the size or the price of the lens that will likely be $4000. It will afford me shooting with a single camera for a weight and cost relief.
But...it has to be excellent. Did I say it has to be excellent?

Upvote 0
It won’t. They are a vastly different tools. How price of a sub compact cars push down prices of delivery pickup tracks? Different purpose and different audience.

Except that they are both pickup trucks. You buy them for the same purpose - to have a job done and here, the bigger truck (f/2) can carry higher load than the cheaper truck (f/2.8).

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
correction: an excellent 24-200 /f2.0 lens Would never leave a body for an event shooter. And I would sell my second body ASAP.
And I do not mind the size or the price of the lens that will likely be $4000. It will afford me shooting with a single camera for a weight and cost relief.
But...it has to be excellent. Did I say it has to be excellent?
4k price ,malaysian made non L could be possible ,but is it excellent ,could be good at least .
Or no idea maybe it isnt possible make plastic body for 10cm lenses. maybe if some kind of metal supports. no fluorite lenses no hand polished lenses.
Shouldnt they make first 24-200 f4 ,, f2 sounds ambitious

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
4k price ,malaysian made non L could be possible ,but is it excellent ,could be good at least .
Or no idea maybe it isnt possible make plastic body for 10cm lenses. maybe if some kind of metal supports. no fluorite lenses no hand polished lenses.
Shouldnt they make first 24-200 f4 ,, f2 sounds ambitious
exactly. :ROFLMAO: it was a joke.

Upvote 0

Phil

EOS R, RF24-105 f4, RF35 1.8, RF50 1.2, RF85 1.2
Oct 17, 2018
Yes, please explain how the R is not up to snuff for the RF mount lenses. Very interested in this.

If you can’t figure it out on your own then me explaining it to you still won’t change the fact that you are not capable of understanding. But don’t freak out I’m sure your winning personality is all you need to succeed at life.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
If you can’t figure it out on your own then me explaining it to you still won’t change the fact that you are not capable of understanding. But don’t freak out I’m sure your winning personality is all you need to succeed at life.
Translated: "I have nothing. I just said it because I thought it would make me sound smart. Just made it up. Don't really know what I am talking about, at all... so I cannot explain myself. I've never actually seen an R or RF lens. I read reviews and watch YouTube videos. Then I just recycle what I have "learned" through vicarious living as first hand knowledge on internet forums. Somebody asked me what I meant, but even I don't know so I will now accuse the guy asking of being too stupid to understand what I say even if I could possibly explain it to him... even though I can't explain it... because I have no idea what I meant."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Then I wonder how Canon managed to make the RF 70-200mm f2.8 so tiny :)

Because they went with a telescoping lens body rather than the internal zoom design they've been using for so long. I assume they are confident enough in their current wiper seal technology to go ahead with such a design on a workhorse lens like the 70-200 2.8.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
Because they went with a telescoping lens body rather than the internal zoom design they've been using for so long. I assume they are confident enough in their current wiper seal technology to go ahead with such a design on a workhorse lens like the 70-200 2.8.
They have had an excellent 70-300mm L IS lens for years, as an example.

Upvote 0

Phil

Oct 17, 2018
Translated: "I have nothing. I just said it because I thought it would make me sound smart. Just made it up. Don't really know what I am talking about, at all... so I cannot explain myself. I've never actually seen an R or RF lens. I read reviews and watch YouTube videos. Then I just recycle what I have "learned" through vicarious living as first hand knowledge on internet forums. Somebody asked me what I meant, but even I don't know so I will now accuse the guy asking of being too stupid to understand what I say even if I could possibly explain it to him... even though I can't explain it... because I have no idea what I meant."

Don’t misunderstand me, I do like my EOS R, vertical grip, RF 24-105, RF 50mm 1.2 and RF 85mm 1.2, also I have used the 28-70 but found it just a tad to big so I got the 24-105 instead, sorry but by the way you were talking just just assumed you didn’t own any of those products so I didn’t think you would understand any points I might try and make about them. So sorry about that, how do you find your Eos R and RF lenses? You don’t find the body to small to comfortably hold it for any length of time with the heavy lenses? You don’t think when Canon releases a larger more sturdy pro body it will be a lot more comfortable to hold with the big glass?
Do you find the 30 megapixel sensor is getting all the quality out of the new L glass that they can produce? Do you not think a higher megapixel body might be able to show the full potential of these extremely high quality and extremely expensive new L lenses better than the EOS R? I mean if you don’t find this to be your experience with the new R system that’s fair it’s just the the people I know with the same gear all feel the same way and that is when a new higher megapixel professional body comes out then they will be able to get the full potential out of their RF Pro Glass which they and I spent so much money on.

Upvote 0

Phil

Oct 17, 2018
Interesting. People have used L lenses for 10s of years on 10s of Canon bodies which are actually inferior to Eos R. Then millions of photographers have been tricked :)

No of course they weren’t tricked they just didn’t have RF L glass which is far superior to the equivalent EF glass and much larger and heavier in some cases. Trust me if they had brought the new RF L Glass which is a huge investment for most people they would want a body that could use them to their full potential other wise why even buy these new lenses if you didn’t intend to get the most out of them as soon as that is possible? It would just be a waste of money unless you brought them just to brag that you have them.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
No of course they weren’t tricked they just didn’t have RF L glass which is far superior to the equivalent EF glass and much larger and heavier in some cases. Trust me if they had brought the new RF L Glass which is a huge investment for most people they would want a body that could use them to their full potential other wise why even buy these new lenses if you didn’t intend to get the most out of them as soon as that is possible? It would just be a waste of money unless you brought them just to brag that you have them.
What do you mean by "full potential"? EOS R has the best single AF in Canon history; far better than any DSLR before it. The 30MP sensor is the best sensor Canon has. Its weather sealing is as good as 5D IV. Its ergonomy is great and the body is solid.
So what is holding EOS R to be used as the camera with RF 50mm f1.2L, for example?

Upvote 0